NRA - Now I'm really confused

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by Bobitis, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

2. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

About what I'd expect from this yellow rag.

Pops
  3. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

"Action on a bill in Congress that aims to shine more light on such spending stalled after top House Democrats agreed to exempt the powerful National Rifle Association and other large non-profits from new disclosure rules".

Why would 'top democrats' agree to exempt the NRA?

"The NRA, which has lobbied aggressively against the bill, remains opposed, despite the exemption".

Sorry, but my head is spinning like Linda Blairs in the Excorsist. The NRA lobbied against the bill? You mean until they became exempt? Then it's stand by the sidelines and wait for the outcome. Is that what the NRA did?

"All restriction on political speech is repugnant," Wayne LaPierre, executive vice president of the gun owners' group, told USA TODAY.

"Am I happy that the NRA's tongue is not cut for the 2010 ... elections? Absolutely," he said. "Do we still think this bill is unconstitutional? Absolutely."

So let me try to wrap my brain around this. All help is welcome.

Mr. LaPierre was against the bill until he got voted into the club. At that point, he took a mulligan. When he got his ego handed to him, he went back to "All restriction on political speech is repugnant"?

I never took a critical thinking class in college. Being an engineer oriented type, most of them were based on science and logic. Am I missing something here? Am I reading too much into his comments? Am I to quick to condemn?

I've no problem being corrected if I'm wrong. My ego won't object, and I'll gladly admit my ignorance.

Am I being overly critical?

Thanks,
    Bob.
  4. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Yup, that about sums it up.
  5. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

Nope, I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head, Bob. Niiiiiiice.
  6. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Thanks for the feedback. For a while there I truly was confused.
    Most of what I've read is like trying to wade through a voters pamphlet. Worthless crap is interjected, and words are written and twisted to the point you have no Idea what's being said.

What happened to using plain ol English? If I can't understand it, a good 85% of the population won't either.:mad: I don't watch MSM and prefer to read. I believe that may be the problem. Most folks who bother to read a bill won't be able to understand it. So they rely on soundbites instead. Free always sounds better than 'your ride is over'. We're fighting for you is better than 'if you contribute to my cause'.

I was so stoopified, I didn't know what to think.

KISS!:mad:

Thanks again.:)
  7. Millwright

Millwright Well-Known Member

No problem, really. Just "politics as usual" inside the Beltway. The Dems thought to "pull the teeth" of the NRA, plus gaining the added bonus of casting them in a bad light with the public, (and its membership), for "accepting" the exemption. Its an old gambit.

IOW, a lot of fuss'n feathers but not much substance......Which is pretty much the hallmark of the Obama Administration and this Congress..... >MW
  8. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

And the NRA capitulated.

To me, that speaks volumes about their motives.

Politics as usual as you say......
  9. 45nut

45nut Active Member

Hey Bob,

I think of politics in general with the Second Law of Thermodynamics in mind: Everything goes from a more complex state of being to a less complex state. Meaning, everything is breaking down, slowly dieing, in our bodies as we age and our country too.

The NRA, IMHO, is also devolving into just another political entity who's own self interest is guiding its decisions in this stage of its life. Kind of like the Roman Empire the died because of it's decadency and moral decline. America has lost it's moral compass and we are heading down a rabbit hole, fast.
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  10. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

From what I understand this bill is pretty much dead on arrival anyway....But I am disapointed in the NRA position, regarding the first amendment. They should realize that without the first amendment, all the other amendments over time become meaningless. I, and I am sure many other members have chimed in to them about this.

Regards, Kirk
  11. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Perhaps they are lying? Then they have been lying for over a century, because this is what the NRA has always been: a SINGLE INTERST ADVOCATE. The Second Amendment is what we pay them to support and protect.

Now, carry on with your pre-formed opinions that every organization to which you belong must do what you want and ONLY what you want.

Pops
  12. rentalguy1

rentalguy1 Former Guest

wait, what?
  13. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I have read everything posted on this one, and I'm lost! It would appear that some of you think that the NRA just indorsed a bill that is in violation of the Constitution. Am I correct in this?
  14. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I too have read everything that has been posted, and I'm still a bit confussed on it all? Ive read and re-read...not sure about this.
  15. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    It appears to me that the NRA was opposed to this legislation form the first, and is still opposed to it, no matter that the Demoncrats wanted to exempt them in order to get their OK on this one.