The Firearms Forum banner

Nra Small Bore Silhouette Shooting usa.

7K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Icemanxxxv 
#1 ·
Did anybody catch Shooting USA this week on OLN? They had the Nra National Small Bore Silhouette championships fimed in nearby Ridgway, Pa. Pretty fun sport. Occasionally I shoot the small bore lever action open site class at our Gun club in Bradford, it's basically the same but you are shooting lever action open sites. I really suck at it I might add, but it is fun. Hopefully Im Planning on taking the guys that make it up here for the get together up to 0ur club and let them try it! It's harder than it looks!

The sport is metallic silhouette, reduced in size and distances to match the power of the .22 rimfire cartridge. Competitors shoot rifles, off-hand, to drop chickens, pigs, turkeys and rams set at distances from 40 to 100 meters. It’s small caliber competition, but no small challenge to win the national titles. Championship Series coverage of the best NRA silhouette rifle marksmen.

You could call it an organized form of plinking, like shooting pop cans with your 22 rifle. But the targets in NRA smallbore silhouette aren’t pop cans, although they’re not much larger. And the distances to the targets are formidable, more than the length of a football field in the case of the Rams standing on their rail at 110 yards. That’s the challenge that has brought the best shooters in the game to the small town of Ridgway, Pennsylvania, to shoot for the national titles.

There are two championships in smallbore silhouette—Hunting Rifle, with rules to limit the competitors to an essentially unmodified production 22 rifle and Standard Rifle with barrel weights hanging on barrel extensions, to help slow muzzle movement, plus lightweight, high-comb stocks. Both classes of competition use extreme power scopes, usually 36 to 40 power magnification.

Unlike most other shooting sports, in Silhouette there is no separate title for women. And it’s understood that women have an advantage in standing and shooting off-hand. That’s one of the reasons smallbore silhouette has become a family event with wives, sons and daughters enjoying the instant satisfaction of knocking down Chickens, Pigs, Turkeys and Rams.

Plus Tom Knapp is pumping up for his appearance with his

See less See more
#2 ·
Unlike most other shooting sports, in Silhouette there is no separate title for women. And it's understood that women have an advantage in standing and shooting off-hand.
That's because their center of gravity is so much lower then men. As they get older, everything sags to the point where they are almost sitting all the time.......I base this knowledge on 50 years of girl watching. :rolleyes: :D
muley

#3 · (Edited)
Actually according to the show it has to do with their hip structure in reference to child birth. They have the ability to lock their hips, bone to bone for a more stable stance, men are not structurally designed to do so!

Now I have an excuse when Ma and the girls outshoot me!!! :D

Now I have to come up with one for the boys cause they out shoot me as well! :confused:

#4 ·
Its really a sad day for the Olympics when there is more coverage of the Shooting Sports on OLN. OLN has consistently had excellent coverage and gives good coverage to firearms and so does the History Channel.
I like programs like Tales of the Gun on the History Channel & Amercian Shooter on OLN.
It has come to a point where the only good coverage is on paid cable which recognizes our market demographic through advertising by Binelli on OLN and by GMAC Trucks on the History Channel., otherwise its pure bolshevism on NBC which has bought the Olympics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.