Nuclear Testing ???

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by Marlin, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Will everyone in the world just sit by and let this happen without taking immediate steps to stop it ?????? Might be the time we really find out who is willing to save our great Republic in the whirlwind going around us.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

N. Korea Appears to Be Preparing for Nuclear Test

U.S. Officials Tell ABC News That Evidence Points to an Underground Test

By JONATHAN KARL

Aug. 17, 2006 — - There is new evidence that North Korea may be preparing for an underground test of a nuclear bomb, U.S. officials told ABC News.

"It is the view of the intelligence community that a test is a real
    possibility," said a senior State Department official.

A senior military official told ABC News that a U.S. intelligence agency has recently observed "suspicious vehicle movement" at a suspected North Korean test site.

The activity includes the unloading of large reels of cable outside P'unggye-yok, an underground facility in northeast North Korea. Cables can be used in nuclear testing to connect an underground test site to outside observation equipment. The intelligence was brought to the attention of the White House last week.

Even before this most recent intelligence, there has been growing concern within the U.S. government that North Korea has been moving toward a nuclear test. North Korea is believed to have enough nuclear material to build as many as a dozen nuclear bombs, but it has never tested one. A successful test would remove any doubt that North Korea is a nuclear power.

"What does he have to lose?" asked one senior military official, referring to North Korean leader Kim Jong Il.

On July 4, North Korea conducted seven ballistic missile tests, which provoked international condemnation, including a unanimous United States Security Council resolution condemning its actions. A nuclear test, however, would be seen as a much greater provocation than the missile tests. Only seven other nations in the world have ever conducted nuclear tests.

U.S. officials fear a nuclear test could provoke a nuclear arms race in East Asia, forcing Japan and South Korea to develop their own nuclear weapons.

"A nuclear test is going to be alarming and troubling for everyone and would cause a very strong reaction I think from all of North Korea's neighbors," said former National Security Council official Michael Green, now with the Center for Strategic and International Studies.

U.S. officials caution that the intelligence is not conclusive. Last year U.S. spy satellites picked up suspicious activity at suspected test sites in North Korea, leading some to predict an imminent nuclear test, but nothing happened.

Underground nuclear tests are notoriously difficult to detect ahead of time. U.S. intelligence agencies, for example, failed to predict nuclear tests by India and Pakistan in 1998.

Officials say it is possible that North Korea may either be putting on a show for American spy satellites to get attention, or may conduct a nuclear test in an entirely different location.

Some analysts believe Kim Jong Il may feel the only way to be taken seriously is to prove that North Korea is a nuclear power. Officials acknowledge that nobody really knows Kim Jong Il's intentions, but there is a belief among analysts that he is upset about the recent U.N. resolution condemning his missile tests and upset with the Chinese for supporting that resolution.

"It is the view of most in the community that there is a 50-50 chance North Korea will conduct a nuclear test by the end of the year," said one analyst.

Asked what the United States would do in response to a nuclear test, a senior U.S. official told ABC News, "We would try to hermetically seal the hermit kingdom."

The official said the United States would immediately push for sanctions to cut North Korea's ties to the outside world. Another possible option would be a naval blockade of North Korea.

But it is unclear how effective such efforts would be. North Korea is already the most isolated country in the world.

© 2006 ABC News Internet Ventures
  2. A third option would be to make a glass-covered, self-lighting parking lot out of N. Korea's nucelar research and test facilities.
  3. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

I'll second that.
    What is bad is the more failure's they have the more they will press on trying to make them so if the develop them they will have them and if they keep failing they will work till they get it and still have them.
  4. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I agree with you Pistol. And, as long as we are taking care of one, we need to take care of the mad man in Persia.......:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
  5. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride New Member

It's fun to look back & see what folks thought would happen after it did happen.

Sorry Marlin, but I felt reviving this zombie was relevant to current affairs. Now that Kim mentally Ill has proved that he's got "The Bomb", what's the current POTUS gunna do about it?!!

Any guesses?

SR :confused:
  6. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

Talk. Talk talk. Talk talk talk. Talk talk talk talk. Talk some more.
    I think the way Obama must see it, if an obscure first term senator can talk his way into the highest office in the land, he can talk the birds out of the trees.
  7. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

He will tell us about change, and a new direction.
    He will tell North Korea that we are not a Christian nation.
    He will tell them that we are a Korean nation.
    He will send them lots of money, and promise MFN trading status for them, provided that one of his advisors has explained to him what that term means.

And he will give their leader a cheesy gift.
  8. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride New Member

Thanks Terry! I spilled my coffee, laughing so hard! :mad::p:D:D

I think you & Tim got it right, & I might add, that while talking, he'll look like he's watching a tennis match! Looks left (pause) looks right (pause) looks left (pause) looks right...... POTUS sure got the teleprompter thing down packed! :mad: Oh, & don't forget everybodies got to sing Cum'bi'ya afterwards.....

SR :)
  9. Just One Shot

Just One Shot New Member

It's already been set off about 2 weeks back. They have it and now so will Iran because they share information and also use the same missle/rocket as a delivery system.
  10. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

I checked this thread after Just One Shot made his comment at 08:33 The line read "Nuclear Testing??? by Just One Shot". Go figure.
  11. Southern Boy

Southern Boy New Member

Wish Reagan was here.
  12. 38 special

38 special New Member

Thats just great the radiation fallout will probably drop over here.
    I remember back in the early 70's when China tested their first nuclear bomb. The radiation went up in the atmosphere and some time later alot of it dropped in the northeast U.S.. I rememember them tellin the farmers to get the cows in and for people to stay out of the rain one day(as if bringin the cows in for 1 day was going to do anything)apparently the rain brought it down. from the clouds. The cancer rate here has been very high in the last 25 years . Many believe it was because of the fallout.
    Keep you ears open to track the radiation . The problem is depending on which way the wind blows and when and wher it rains you can get dumped on. Isnt it great that you can be thousands of miles away minding your own business and die a tortured death of cancer because these s o b's over in korea set off a nuke.