1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Numerich Hopkins & Allen

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by 48Woody, Apr 1, 2011.

1. 48Woody

48Woody New Member

Hello;

I have a Numerich Arms Hopkins & Allen Under Hammer that I picked up last fall at an auction.I posted some pics here shortly after. I used a digital caliper to measure the bore and got a reading of .57+- depending on if I hit a land or groove. What would be a good bullit style and weight and powder loads for target shooting and hunting deer here in NH. What caps should I use. I've never shot BP before, just cartridge riffles and pistols. Thanks
  2. sewerman

sewerman New Member

depends on the twist of the rifling. is this an under hammer?

i would think this is slow twist repo rfile 1:66 or so.

you can check twist rate by marking your ram rod then with the cleaning jag in place wrap a thick lightly oil patch on the jag push into bore to the stop then pull out slowly & count # of turns of rod.

i would say patched round ball. you may want to go with a ball about .010 smaller or more then your bore size which will gave you lead way to adjust to patch size ....usually folks support the fact that a thicker patch works better.

as for caps...probably #11 though you can purchase a replacement nipple that allows you to use musket cap in place of #11. the musket caps are much larger with wings , they look like little top hats ...they are easier to handle and place onto nipple.

powder most use 3F but 2F would be good too. the additional air space between the slightly larger grain powder actually enhances burn contrary to popular belief.

youi can try a minie base hollow base but my opinion is this is a RB shooter.

enjoy!:)

S.M.
  3. 48Woody

48Woody New Member

Thanks Sewerman;

It is an underhammer. I haven't had the opportunity to fire it yet. Was going to take apart to make sure everything looks good from breech end. Shinning a flashlight down the bore it does look to be a slow twist, looks like about 1/2 turn the full length of the 32". Lands and grooves look wider and shallower than I see in the metallic cartridge guns I usually use. Heavy barrel,1 1/8" across the flats of octagon barrel, heavier than other BP rifles I've held. Might not want to carry long in the mountainous area I usually hunt.
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  4. sewerman

sewerman New Member

with that heavy may make a nice bench/target rifle.

the underhammers were know for their fast lock time.

enjoy:)