nutz!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jack404, Sep 20, 2012.

1. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

idiot starts a shoot out in a gun store!!~!

http://www.indystar.com/article/201...ews|text|IndyStar.com&gcheck=1&nclick_check=1

A man is dead and another is hospitalized after a shooting Monday at Don’s Guns and Galleries on the Westside.

Police have released few details about what happened, but owner Don Davis said detectives told him that a man walked into his gun store at 3807 Lafayette Road shortly before 12:20 p.m. and asked a clerk to rent a gun. Shortly after — without a word — the man used the gun to shoot the clerk. The clerk fired back, killing the customer police have identified as Brian C. Wayner, 26, 8700 block of Gargany Lane.

Davis said his employee, Ben Chance, was in critical condition at a hospital Monday but was expected to survive.

Davis said Wayner rented a gun in the showroom and went to the attached shooting range where he fired three boxes of ammunition.

Afterward, he went to the restroom to wash his hands and walked back out to the counter in the store area. Chance was giving Wayner his total when — without saying anything — Wayner suddenly fired shots at the clerk, Davis said. It was unclear where he was shot.

Police didn’t identify the specific weapons used in the shootings.

Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department spokesman Kendale Adams said Wayner had no history of arrest in Marion County

It remains unclear how Wayner was able to walk out of the shooting range area undetected and back to the counter with a loaded gun. It is against store policy for customers to carry loaded guns inside the building unless they are in the indoor range. However, Davis said, “we don’t strip and search everyone.”

The retired gun shop owner said Chance, who has worked at the store for more than 15 years, did exactly what anyone in his position would have done.

“If you shoot us,” he said, “we’ll shoot you right back.”

Davis added no one in the store had a clue that Wayner was going to open fire.

“Nothing was said, not one word.”

Customers Gillase and Debra Samples said they narrowly missed the shooting. The couple were inside the store about 10 minutes before the shooting started.

They were buying a shotgun but had to drive back to their house about five miles away because Debra Samples forgot her identification. When they returned to buy the gun, the area was cordoned off and police cars had surrounded the store.

“It scared me to death,” Gillase Samples said. “We just left.”

Don’s Guns is the city’s highest profile firearms retailer, due in part to its colorful founder and his advertising motto: “I don’t want to make money. I just love to sell guns.”

Gun-control advocates cite Don’s Guns for the number of weapons traced back to the store that were used in crimes. A 2010 Washington Post investigation found Don’s Guns ranked third among the country’s firearm retailers, with 1,910 crime-related guns traced back to the shop in the previous four years.

An earlier study by a gun-control organization found that Don’s ranked second in such sales from 1996 to 2000, with 2,294 guns turning up illegally.

Davis made no apologies in response. He said the problem comes when guns are resold on the street or at gun shows. He also said it’s logical that more guns are traced back to his store than others because he is one of the leading sellers.

The store near the intersection of Lafayette Road and 38th Street has been the scene of other shootings and thefts. Area business owners said the store has been targeted by armed robbers before.

Last year, a theft of a pink handgun resulted in a woman’s arrest. In June 2010, a customer at the store’s gun range shot himself in the head with a rented gun. Two years earlier, three people were accused of smashing a stolen car into the shop to steal firearms. And in 2007, an employee was wounded in the accidental discharge of an AK-47.

“It concerns me a little bit. This particular business (Don’s Guns) has been targeted many times,” said Roberta Wilson, owner of Flowerama, which is near the gun store. “I think something like this is more apt to happen to a business like that.”

Clarisse Toa, owner of nearby AAA African Braiding, agreed.

“Nothing ever happens in this neighborhood except Don’s Guns,” Toa said. “We’ve been here for 10 years and don’t worry.”

Raed Nak, manager of the Gold Spot, also next door, said he is concerned that the incident will affect his business.

“Customers will be scared to come here now,” he said.

Despite Monday’s shooting, there is still optimism about the area, said Mary Chalmers, executive director of the Lafayette Square Area Coalition.

“We have a really diverse community, and we’re working really hard to revitalize our area,” Chalmers said. “Crime has dropped. It was never as bad as perceptions. When we see the reports, it’s all pretty minor things.”

For Davis, the risk is just part of his business.

“We know what we’re doing,” said Davis, who has been a gun retailer for about 40 years. “Here’s a man that fired a gun, and within a second, he was dead.”
  2. sub-moa

sub-moa Member

I hate it when stories like this make headlines. Looks bad for us in some ways and gives anti-gunners ...well....ammo. Beter if a nutjob shoots in a place where he could be dealt with quickly, instead of going to the local mall though. One man injured, bad guy dead, oh well. :(
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

dead idiots looking like a lefty .. more to come .. no arrests but a few citations
  4. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Well-Known Member

the comunity will eventually force the gun shop owner out of business, that is the sad part
    the good thing it may make the crooks think twice about trying to rob the place
  5. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

I wouldnt want to go to that gun shop. Im suprised he can stay open. I just couldnt imagine going to any range and worrying if someones going to freak out and start mowing people down
  6. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

A range I go to has had 3 guys in the last few years commit suicide after renting a gun. All 3 rented a gun and went into the range and shot themselves in the head. The range will no longer rent any gun to a single person walking in to shoot. You need to come in a group if you want to rent a gun.

Must be the high taxes up here....
  7. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Hmmm, sounds familiar..sounds just like the liberals. Scared. It wouldnt bother me one bit to go in that store because of that shooting. That can happen anywhere, anytime.
  8. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

True.

I guess a lot more shootings happen in other places, not just gun stores. How many at homes? How many at bars? How many at...

The store does a lot of business; lots of people coming through. I don't think it will be forced out of business. The area has really gone downhill in the last 10-15 years since I was there. The shopping mall just north of there used to be THE place to go; now it's the place to avoid.
  9. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

You hate to see this anywhere, anytime.

Do remember too we now live in 24/7 worldwide news cycle.

Stuff that used to happen years back locally used to stay locally, not now.
  10. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Now this guy was actually crazy.

Unlike all those other media pozers who

shoot up a gun free zone...
  11. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Basically I meant I wouldnt go into that specific gun store. Why? Because of its history. Any range? hell no! I dont feel comfortable going to a range. Liberal? no liberal here. Ive dealt with guns as well as my family for a very very long time. My ancestry as well before we were all born. I dont believe in gun control and I just simply love guns. now back to the subject :)
  12. Blackshirts

Blackshirts Well-Known Member

The safest plaza to open a store in would be the one with a gun shop. Either it will scare any potential bad guys away or it will be the main attraction. No one is breaking into your shop when there is a gun shop next door with much more valuable goods.
  13. Dennisdavis558585

Dennisdavis558585 New Member

I'm just saying, no matter where you are or where I an I would rather be around people carrying counseled then with people not. Then I know and uge bad guy knows, you will get shot back do don't f@#$ with us. We all carry. At all of the shootings that you hear on the news (the movies, at schools, ex...) All are places you can't carry and look a bunch of people get hurt. Wake up people, a good example right here he, only one person died. Now take that seen to a plasce where no one els had a firearm, and could have ended much worse!!! Just saying
  14. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

hmmm, what about GM being bad for society. after all they have sold so many vehicles that ended up being used in fatal collisions. should we lobby to shut down General Motors?

Bed bath and Beyond sells so many Knives that are used in stabbings. let's shut them down also.

while we are on the subject we should go after Anheiser Busch. it seems the majority of drunk drivers have consumed their product before committing a crime.

before you know it all of the United States will be outlawed.

but first we should get rid of apples. all of evil started when Eve ate that one apple. or should we ban women?

come on society. pull your head out of your a$$ and take responsibility for your own actions

I'm really pi$$ed off now. I better go to bed
  15. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

68c15--+1

Double standards rule. OK!!
    It's ok to slam guns, but protect our vices that cause mayhem elsewhere.
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2012