NYC LEOS need range time

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 22WRF, Nov 13, 2007.

1. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

NEW YORK (AP) - An unarmed, mentally ill teenager could be heard cursing and yelling "I've got a gun!" during a frantic 911 call made by his exasperated mother before police arrived and killed him with a 20-bullet barrage, according to a tape of the call released Tuesday.

The officers backed up and ordered him to stop, police said. When the teen refused and kept approaching them, they began shooting from a distance of 5 to 7 feet, police said. Police said eight of the 20 bullets struck Coppin, who was pronounced dead at a hospital.

http://apnews.myway.com//article/20071114/D8ST41P80.html
  2. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Range time heck, take these guys firearms away from them before they kill the population.

Wonder where the other 12 rds went?
  3. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

4. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Hell, if a nut wanted to take out some civvies. He could go to a mall in NY. Yell ,"I got a gun" & the cops would kill everyone around him. He wouldn't need a gun.
    I'd say this incident is sad for the Family & embarrassing for the cops. :( The cops need some training & target practice.
  5. satellite66

satellite66 New Member

I watched the story on the news last night they played the 911 tape. They were told he was armed with a gun he did have knives he also kept reaching for something under his shirt and nowhere in the call was it mentioned that he was a nut job.
  6. Lilly

Lilly New Member

8 hits out of 20! YIKES!!
    Lilly
  7. satellite66

satellite66 New Member

Stress reeks hell on accuracy.
  8. njretcop

njretcop New Member

Pretty easy to sit behind a computer screen and criticize someone whose job most of you would not want, or be qualified for......:(
  9. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

I was speaking with a shooting instructor at a gun show here recently about a study that was done looking at statistics from officer involved shootings from many U.S. cities of a variety of sizes. He said that the study showed that police officers on average (I know there are exceptions) had a hit rate of 17% in actual altercations. He stated that high stress situations definitely make it more difficult to be accurate, but that doesn't account for a percentage that low. He said it's not the officers fault either. It's the departments that don't want to pay for overtime at the range and don't want to foot the bill for practice ammo.
  10. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

I have talked to some LEO's who really do not like range time. I have shot more 9mm in the last month than all the calibers they shoot in one year. Some do need more training and some need more money for training.
  11. FLA2760

FLA2760 New Member

The police have is VERY tough job. However more range time is always good. Keep in mind that NYC has been anti gun for years and many NYC residents are not very familiar with firearms. I lived there 33 years and I am now in Florida enjoying my freedom. I was robbed three times at gunpoint while I lived in NYC. The gun ban did nothing to protect me!
    In NYC you need a permit to have a gun in your home.
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  12. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

I'm gonna side with the cops....having been in situations where it was confusing how things might really be...and not wanting myself or my mates to get hurt...I understand it is their final decision to fire.

But their markmanship...does not reflect well on their training...and leaves question where else they are substandard.

Anyway...hindsight is a luxury that does not do anything for a person in a dangerous situation at the moment they believe they are going to get hurt...so be careful with your criticism.
  13. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Yes it is! Police need constant training & that takes time & tax money. It also has to have officers that are willing to use a good attitude about use of their weapon. If I were a Police Officer, I would want to be as good with my tools as possible. I know 2 cops who would rather play golf than practice gun skills. " I don't want to clean my gun". Hell, it's your tool & your life & someone else's life. Ok, if you want to substitute your gun for a golf club, I guess.