Nylon 66 Article

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by zpatagus, Dec 18, 2008.

1. zpatagus

zpatagus New Member

I don't know if any of you are into Remington nylon 66s, but I noticed an article in the new American Rifleman magazine which came yesterday. I have an old 66 so I found it kind of interesting.

I went looking around for more information on Nylon 66s and found this site which appears to have manuals and lots and lots of other info on it.

www.nylonrifles.com

the magazine article can be read online here...

http://www.americanrifleman.org/rifles_historical.html
  2. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

There is a book (based on a true story/diary), entitled Into the Wild, and a movie by the same name, about a kid in the early 1990s who left civilization behind and decided to live in the wilds of Alaska with few rations and a Nylon 66 for hunting. He killed a moose with it, but ended up eventually starving to death. I guess if I had a choice between a .30 06 and a box or two of ammo and a .22 with a brick of ammo, I'd have to go with the latter.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Into_the_Wild
  3. pawn

pawn New Member

The article in the American Rifleman was a good read.
  4. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

I have a Nylon 66 and a Nylon 11 bolt action. No, they aren't for sale. Great little rifles.
  5. artabr

artabr New Member

Great article.
    I love the bolt action Nylons.

Art
  6. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

I read the article. Very well written. The Remington factory is just a few miles from here and Nylon .22s still show up at the outdoor ranges.
  7. zpatagus

zpatagus New Member

I remember seeing them in pawn shops years go dirt cheap. They are quickly reaching the status of collectables from the prices I've seen lately.
  8. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Yes, it was a very well written article, I enjoyed it very much. I owned a couple of Nylon 66's years ago, wish I still had them.

A few weeks ago I was at a huge gun show in Atlanta where I thought I saw one of the Apache versions. I picked it up, studied it carefully, and considered buying it. The dealer wanted $200 for it, but when I said the words Nylon 66 Apache he told me that it was not a Nylon 66 but a "knock off" that was produced a few year ago in South America. I swear that I could not tell the difference but was not going to give $200 for an imitation.
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  9. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

The 2008 Standard Catalog of Firearms has a center section - 16 pages in full color - which features all of the Nylons (even the knock-offs). If you are a collector, it is worth buying despite being out-of-date.

The GR-8 "Black Beauty" (knock-off made in Brazil) looks identical to the 66, but internal parts are not interchangeable. $200 was probably a fair price if the condition was good. Collector interest is driving the price here as well.
  10. zpatagus

zpatagus New Member

According to www.nylonrifles.com there were two "apache" nylon rifles. The Apache Black is the chrome and black 66. The Apache 77 is the green stocked, detachable magazine version made for K-Mart from 1987-89. Both of these were made my Remington.

All the imported nylon rifles were made in Brazil by CBC. They were imported by at least four companies under various names. CBC was in fact part owned by Dupont who also owned Remington at the time.
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  11. Darvell

Darvell New Member

I had one of these when I was growing in the 80's. I loved it. It was a black one with a white diamond. I put a scope on it and I swear I could repeatedly hit soda cans at 50 yards with it.

Regretably, I sold it when I went off to college. I wish I could find another one at a decent price.

Darvell
  12. Joe M

Joe M Member

I agree! My Supply Sgt. owned one of these back in the early 70's. I can't say which production run he had for certain but I'll always remember it, as he use to cuss those "GD plastic stocked Mattel rifles" (M16's) we were using. Yet he kept one of these Nylon 66's in my Arms Room... Go figure???:) Of course he didn't have to depend on the 66 for life/death situations. Still, he hated that M16, but he loved that 66...
  13. Mike U.

Mike U. New Member

right in the middle of the Sunshine State!
    I love my Nylon 66. I recently inherited it and it was love at first try.
    Even though the Nylon 66's are commanding premium prices on auction sites, I don't think I'll ever part with this little gem.
  14. zpatagus

zpatagus New Member

Mike, if you like the 66 check out www.nylonrifles.com
  15. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

One of my first after school jobs was in a hardware store that sold firearms, and one day a Nylon 66 appeared on the rack. We could'nt 'get over' the plastic stock, but then we couldn't 'get over' what Winchester had done in '64, either!