nylon holster or leather holster..

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by 21bravo, Jul 28, 2009.

1. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

ok guys.. heres the question. im lookin for a modified small of back holster for ccw.. and i think ive narrowed it down to one of these two. theyd both be worn over my back right pocket. which one would you guys go with?:confused: ..its for a Glock 27

A....
    a nylon
    ccw 1.jpg

or B...
    a Galco leather
    ccw 2.jpg
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  2. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i would probably go with the leather one, mostly because i like leather better. since it has a tension adjustment screw you wouldnt have to worry about the gun falling out since it doesnt have a retention strap like the nylon one does.
  3. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I have used both and would go leather. I think nylon is too weak, and but for a IWB would avoid them.
  4. techoca

techoca New Member

I would use the leather holster with the retention screw, don't like the thumb break for a CCW.
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    My vote is for the leather.
  6. Definitely go for the leather, 21. I've tried the nylon type myself, and frankly, they just don't feel right. Leather conforms to your body and becomes a personal item, much as a wallet does. A good leather holster will last many years if cared for properly.
  7. Doc1911

Doc1911 New Member

8. SARG

SARG Member

I personally would avoid the sob holsters altogether.

Try sitting for a length of time with one or fall against one and you will know what I mean.

I have a new Galco in the tub along with the other two dozen or more that did not work out.
  9. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

thanks for the input y'all.. :D you pretty much chose what i had expected you to. i was also thinking i would like the leather better. i just wanted y'all to cement my decision. thanks guys:D
  10. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Hey Doc1911, you know horseshoe leather. I have used Andys holsters for many, many years. It's opinion, mine, but they are the best of the best. He even incorporated a couple of mods for me at my request. I wear one of his belts every day!
  11. Doc1911

Doc1911 New Member

Hello. Yea, Andy makes some great holsters. I rank him among the very best. His leather is always the best. Fit and function is unsurpassed. I also like Rosen, Bulman, and Tauris. While the other two need no introduction Michael Taurisano (Tauris) taught Lou Allesi how to make ankle holsters ...
  12. techoca

techoca New Member

Tranter or Doc 1911,
    do either of you use Horeshoe leather 62L IWB holster for 1911? That is a good looking IWB, I think I should order one.
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  13. Doc1911

Doc1911 New Member

I have not used that holster yet - but anything you get from Andy works - but it will take you a while to get one (but they are worth the wait). If you need one fast Michael can make you one of these in about 4 weeks (normally):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is one of mine in Shark Not the type you desire, but it shows some of his work:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Double 1911 (everything here is detachable - so you can carry one weapon, or no extra mags, etc.):

[​IMG]

Horseshoe (a friends):

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  14. techoca

techoca New Member

Doc1911,
    Thanks for the link.

Those are nice holsters, I sure like the looks of the Horseshoe IWB. I don't mind the wait as I have a decent holster I use daily for ccw - but I always want more!
    Eddy
  15. techoca

techoca New Member

21bravo,

I agree with SARG, IMO you should consider IWB carry at the 4 or 5 o'clock position. For me that is the best compromise of comfort and conceal ability. My 1911 is easily concealed with an untucked shirt.

I must say that I subscribe to the theory that a gun is not meant to be comfortable, but comforting.

My 2 cents.

techoca
  16. Doc1911

Doc1911 New Member

I understand. And after Andy makes your first holster - you are going to want another one :D - they are really that good.
  17. techoca

techoca New Member

You sold me. I'm ordering one now.

techoca
  18. techoca

techoca New Member

21bravo,
    my sincere apology for hijacking your thread.
  19. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Horseshoes iwb as in docs bottom pic with a 1911 is the same as the ones I have used. It's personal, but I used them without the protective flap. Don't copy me though, it's down to the way you get taught. As above, anyone getting one of his holsters will not be sorry they did. Don't mind the delay, one guy working alone. By the way, his customers include the best there is, world wide.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2009
  20. techoca

techoca New Member

Tranter,
    I order one exactly like the pics in Doc's post-same color even. I thought I might as well get the best. I suppose using a cheap holster is equal to using cheap magazines in a fine 1911. It is for my daily CCW so no sense in holding back here. The holster will be used with my commander sized S&W 1911.

Eddy

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009