The Firearms Forum banner

Nylon stock

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  JLA 
#1 ·
Can anyone tell me if there is something on the market that will remove scratches and small imperfections on the stock of a nylon 66 rifle.

#3 ·
i have tried a high speed polisher and jewlers polish to remove very small scratches.the thing is if the scratch is bad enough to feel with your fingernail,dont try it.i know that too much friction will burn finish.i suggest you live with it.these guns are starting to gain value as collectors and its not worth damaging firearm. old semperfi

#4 ·
No idea on that as I have two of them myself and one is pretty scratched up, but never even thought of doing anything with it for the fact your question is a good one I'd like to know myself.

#5 ·
if youre careful and the dings and scratches arent too deep a heat gun will do it. You will have to keep the heat gun moving and not get any one particular spot too hot or it will gloss over. I used to work in thermal plastics forming where we made TV consoles for conversion units in high end vans and SUVs, some of the consoles were formed with colored ABS (which is very similar to a nylon base polymer) and sometimes theyd get scuffed and scratched and cigarette lighters and heatguns were what we used to raise the dings...

#6 ·
JLA
As far as i can see the scratches are not deep, i run my finger nail across the stock where the scratches are and did not get any resistance. So if i understand your method, the heat will smooth the imperfections out, and nothing else is needed except maybe a steady hand.

#7 · (Edited)
and great care with the heatgun, once you get it too hot its done, you really only get 1 shot. If youre careful you should be able to raise the scratches and blend the finish without distorting or discoloring the stock. trick is to keep the heat gun moving, kinda like youre airbrushing the stock. and only apply heat til the scratches start to fade then take it off, theyll continue to fade til the stock cools a bit, then hit it again and take it back off once the scratches begin to blend again. a couple of passes like this and youd be good as new...;)

#10 ·
JLA
I'm thinking i might ought to have a gunsmith do that kind of stuff if i truly decide to get it done. I would sure hate to make things worse.
I'm thinking you will have a hard time finding a gunsmith to try that unless he has exprienced it before. Too much heat will RUIN the stock.

#11 ·
Polish made for convertible car top windows works well for small scratches.

#13 ·
I'm thinking you will have a hard time finding a gunsmith to try that unless he has exprienced it before. Too much heat will RUIN the stock.
youre exactly right bama. I know it works but I also know it can easily be disasterous, which is why I emphasize great care...

You could practice a bit with some scrap pieces of nylon based polymers... Most of the plastics used in automobiles are either nylon or ABS, both of which are very similar..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.