O.F. Mossberg&Sons .22LR DOM?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Zane71464, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

O.F. Mossberg&Sons INC. Model 44

This old .22lr was my Dad's rifle and Ive only saw it twice in my life.
    As a kid I saw it and asked about it and if memory serves me right, he told me he "got" it as a youngster (may have been my Grandpa's?) to hunt squirrels. The other day I was over at mom's and she was moving some things and there was Dad's old rifle. Took a look at it and brought it home to give it a good and much needed cleaning!
    Have'nt started on it yet.

I was wondering the year of mfg.? There is no serial# on it,(model 44) and on top of the barrel, just in front of the rear sight, it's stamped: pat'd July.. and the dovetail is cut through it.
    The only other number on it, is on the bottom of the barrel near the
    receiver and it is the No. 3 .
    Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'd like to know the history on it so that I can keep it with the rifle when I take it back to Mom. (after a good "cleaning")
    *somewhere along the line, someone tried their skills on a finish
    job...with a varnish finish! (they tried to keep it on the stock and they did the trigger)
    If there isn't much value to the Rifle, I was thinking of completely refinishing it, stock, reblueing and try and get it back to as near as I can to original. (need the experience and satisfaction of a job well done)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  2. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Hi Zane71464. Your 44 was made 1934-1935.It is a nice shooter one like that model was used for training in the military.It's value is $75-$300 depending on cond.
    Mike
  3. Zane71464

Thank's goofy!
    Well, it was made a few years before my Dad had been born. So I'd bet it was my Grandpa's from the start. And that's good to know...that might have added to the family history.
    Appreciate the info!
  4. doubleslover

doubleslover New Member

It is a nice old gun. Somewhere along the way someone has changed the front sight and installed a rear barrel sight. This gun would have come with a Mossberg #1A ramp front sight and the hard to find #3 peep sight that mounted on the side of the receiver.
  5. Zane71464

Ahh, okay. I figured with the pat'd mark on it being cut throught that it had to have been altered.
    Sure wish "whoever" would have left it alone and left the peep sight on it!

Thanks doublesolver!
  6. doubleslover

doubleslover New Member

Yes, you are looking at $130.00-$150.00 to put the correct front sight and peep sight back on. Neither are that easy to find, especially the #3 peep sight. It's also missing the swivels so as it is it's about a $150.00 gun. But you can get much more shooting enjoyment than that out of it. I think I would scope it. Does it have mounting holes on the side of the receiver for a side mount? If so, you can get a mount from Havlins that works great and it lets you use a 1" tube. I think it's $23.00 for the mount. I think I would also refinish the stock and reblue. You would have a very nice looking rifle.
  7. doubleslover

doubleslover New Member

Here are a couple of pics from dam guys site of the 44 with the peep sight and side mount scope holes (factory drilled). Also shows proper front sight.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  8. Zane71464

Ahhh, okay.
    This one just has the set-up for the peep sight and the rec. isnt drilled and taped for a scope.
    here is a pic.

Attached Files:

9. Zane71464

Apprciate the information and wish it was drilled (factory) to put a scope on it.
    Thinking about it, I think I will re-finish the stock and re-blue.
    Especially after seeing the picrures you posted. Would love to get this back to a fine looking rifle.
    I was suprised that the inside of the barrel is as in good of shape that it is.
  10. doubleslover

doubleslover New Member

Actually, if you buy the mount from Havlins, they have a template they will provide to drill the 2 side mount holes if the gun wasn't factory drilled. Just place the template, drill and tap 2 holes and you are done. Although only 2 screws, these mounts hold tight. I have the Havlin mount on a couple of old Mossbergs.
  11. Zane71464

Excellent!
    Ive never ordered from Havilns before, but do they have a web-site
    or strictly over the phone?
  12. doubleslover

doubleslover New Member

They have a website. Just google Havlin Sales. I think most people order over the phone though when they decide what they want. They also have a lot more stuff than their site shows as they are buying all the time. That's why many people phone. Victor and Cheryl Havlin run it. Anything you want to know about Mossbergs just ask Vic. He also wrote the book "Mossberg-More Gun For The Money" and is president of The National Mossberg Collectors Association.
  13. Zane71464

Thanks very much doublesolver!
    Just looked them up and yep, they are the people to go to!!!
    Really appreciate the information!
  14. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Dale it is just a coincidence but one of the Old Guys brought over a family heirloom he came into possession of recently. It is a kissing cousin to your Mossberg. It is a Wards Western Field, No. 47A 22 S-L-LR. Best I can tell it is a variant of Mossberg's No. 46. Any help on identification is appreciated. It also is missing the peep sight. You can see the peep attaches differently than yours. This one however is drilled and tapped for a side mount scope base. I am trying to convince him to do a little restoration/clean up and get the peep and scope base from Havlin and then look for a vintage scope at the local gun shows. Either way I am looking forward to see how it performs on the range as soon as the weather warms to old man weather. Here are some pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  15. Zane71464

Thanks Todd for posting the pictures.
    Mine is .22lr only and the stock hasnt got the cheakweld made into
    the stock.
    Also, the butt-plate is smooth on mine and wished it had been drilled
    and tapped for a scope mount.
    I'm with you on your thoughts of recommending to your friend to go
    and do some work on it and scope it. And something original (scope) of
    the time frame would be great!
    I did dry fire and emty .22 case on mine to see how the fireing pin and
    spring was and it looks good. Ive been meaning to get this one out and
    run a few shots through it and see how it shoots. If i were a betting
    man, I'd say they are some good shooters.
    When time allows me, I plan to spend some time on it and refinish the
    wood and metal...make it look new!