1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

O-Ring vs Snap Cap

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by NonPCnraRN, Jan 25, 2010.

1. NonPCnraRN

NonPCnraRN New Member

I read somewhere on this forum about using a small o-ring to surround the firing pin and keep the falling hammer from hitting it during dry fire practice, instead of using snap caps. I found some small o-rings in my catch-all bin and placed one around the firing pin. The o-ring is just large enough that friction holds it in place. You just have to remember to remove it after practice. It works. They are cheaper than snap caps and you can find them at most hardware stores. They come in a multipack for less than a buck so if you lose one, or in my case forget where I put it, you have plenty of spares. To whoever suggested the idea, thanks.
  2. Claude Clay

Claude Clay New Member

forget to remove the o ring once--likely

you will never have a chance to do it again

i vote snap caps, the red ones with the brass primer & spring inside.
  3. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

I'm a real cheap skate, I vote once fired brass off the range.:D
  4. NonPCnraRN

NonPCnraRN New Member

That is a valid consideration. That is why I make it a point to remove the o-ring when replacing the unloaded magazine with a loaded one. I suppose one could forget that the gun has snap caps in it instead of live ammo. I practice with an unloaded magazine in the gun so in either case the weight difference would let you know that the gun was not good to go. But you are correct in cautioning to remove whatever you use at the end of dry fire practice. If you have 1911s of different calibers the same small o-ring will work for all. I used to use once fired brass but after one too many strikes the firing pin pierced the old primer and got stuck inside. I had to use a dowel to push the firing pin back out of the case. I just happened to have the o-rings laying around and thought I'd give it a try and see what happened. You are right to be cautious as a gun should go bang when you want/need it to.