O/U 12 gauge under 600 dollars

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Jackman, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Whats a good O/U 12 gauge under 600 dollars?

I have been looking at the Mossberg Silver Reserve O/U 12 gauge , its a nice piece for 599 , anything else out there similar or better?
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

3. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

The Stoeger Condor made by E R Amantino in Brazil is not a thing of beauty but is a simplified mechanical copy of the Beretta O/U for about 30 cents on the dollar as compared to the Beretta.

They are more durable guns than some others that cost twice as much.

Here is a link: http://www.eramantino.com.br/eramantinoen/index.php?id=en
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  4. time2shoot

time2shoot Active Member

got one of thoughs works great and shoots great. and so is the price
  5. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

Look at the "turkish" guns at the local big box retailers (academy ect....) and see what you like, otherwise a +1 for Stoeger.
  6. packetsplace

packetsplace New Member

If you want an over/under that will last a lifetime, be prepared to spend $2000.00 and up.
  7. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I just got back from my gun shop. They had a bunch of used over and under's $350 and up. I think they were Stogers. I did see one Remington for around $500. All used.
  8. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

The list price on most Condors seems to be $399.00. Major mass retailers (like Dick's Sporting Goods) likely have them on sale for about $300.00 to $350.00. Condors take Winchester, Mossberg, Browning Invector, etc. choke tubes.

The Remington Spartan is made by Izhevsk Mechanical Works in Russia. When Remington started having Izhevsk make the Spartan line of shotguns, it seems that Izhevsk was instructed to use less expensive materials than they had been using when they made guns for buyers like EAA and other USA gun labels. Originally, Izhevsk shotguns used a proprietary choke tube technology from a US maker in Texas. I am not certain if a change was made to the Remington system, after the Remington Spartan name was applied.

Most inexpensive Turkish shotguns do not have a particularly good reputation. Turkey, like Italy, is a modern country with modern industrial manufacturing capabilities, and makes some high quality things. They also can and will make things that are not all that well made or durable. Finding extra or replacement choke tubes can be challenging and more expensive thjan the condor.
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  9. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

The stoeger condors are good. As are the yildiz silahs Academy sells. Either can be had for less than 500 and either will serve you well. Given the choice id opt for the Stoeger Condor because I already have a Stoeger coach as well and I am comfortable with the quality of Stoeger imports.

On the other side of the token though.. It would be nice to have a Browning Citori or a Ruger red label..
  11. ms6852

ms6852 New Member

I bought a yildiz at academy, it is very light have had it for several years without an issue. I do a lot of skeet shooting at my cousins farm I really like it. Its a beautfiful shotgun with Turkish wood.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Check out their website. http://www.yildizshotgun.com/
  12. sting75ray

sting75ray Active Member

I had a Red Label until it was stolen from me a couple of years ago. I know who stole it and seeing how it was my daughter I will let her keep it:D:DI bought myself a Gold Label and now she has her eyes on it as well.:D
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Ooohh, the Gold label SXS is my ultimate Dream shotgun.
  14. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

Several years ago (2005) I went shopping for an O/U that would not break the bank. That year I was able to go to the Shot Show, so I got to see all that were available at the time. There, of course, were the Beretta's and the Brownings, way out of my price class. There were the Turkish guns that were in my price range but they seemed to be in two groups: those around $500 and those less than $1000. The difference in fit and finish were very noticeable. CZ uses these higher end Turkish O/U's with the CZ name on them and supposedly made to their specs. The gun is filled with CZ Quality stampings (??). I liked the CZ's Canvasback so that is what I bought. I really like the gun. It was tight, well made, nicely finished, and about $800 (they are still under $800 today). The extra couple of hundred dollars gets you the CZ brand and long term warrantee and a better made and finished gun. It is a single trigger, auto extraction, but no auto ejection (great for reloaders as the hulls are in your hand not on the ground).

O/U are unique guns and not that easy to make. Both barrels have to be made to shoot at the same point in space at about 40 yds. The barrels are soldered together and it is not all that easy to get them aimed correctly. The extra care taken in a bit more expensive gun make it worth it to me to be sure the gun shoots OK.

LDBennett
  15. sting75ray

sting75ray Active Member

The way prices on them have gone up I wish I had bought 2 of them before they were dropped from the Ruger line.
  16. bobski

bobski Former Guest

i would be afraid to shoot an import o&u under 600.00. sure sure, you own one or shot one...but in my line of business, id probably wear it out in one year....and would be uncomfortable loaning one to my clients.
    if you buy new cars, and demand a perfect computer or the best iphone plan....why would anyone want a cheap gun is beyond me.
    bottom line....id buy a used anything that was an expensive gun new over a new import. period.
    i mean seriously, whats 300 more when youre flashing 600?

buy a used browning citori or a used rem 3200 over these new imports and youll be very happy.