OAL on 9mm Ranier bullets

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by DixieLandMan, Aug 18, 2012.

1. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

I know that Ranier bullets are plated and they recommend load data for lead. I understand that part but what would be the OAL? Lee manual says that OAL should be 1.14" for plated but using lead data says that OAL should be 1.07". Before I load anymore up, I'd like to find out. They will be shot in a Taurus 92 and I am using 115 Ranier HP and 6.3 grains of A#7 powder. Any help would be appreciated.
  2. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

OAL is not manual specific, it is firearm and bullet specific. Forget any OAL you see in any manual and find the Longest OAL that fits-feeds-fires in YOUR pistol. Once you find that , start low and work up. It is the ONLY safe way.
  3. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

According to Lyman 49th, SAAMI maximum OAL is 1.169"
    Do not exceed this and you will be safe, gun may not cycle but your safe.
    To answer your question directly; try 1.125"- 1.130" and you will be a-ok;)
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  4. trapnbow

trapnbow Member

DixieLandMan,
    312Shooter gave you my answer. I have reloaded thousands of Rainier bullets, 115 and 124 grain RN, in 9mm for years and shot them is a wide variety of firearms. 1.125" to 1.130" works just great. Set it and forget it! LOL
  5. mikld

mikld Active Member

Seat the bullet long. Don't crimp. Remove barrel from your gun. Drop finished cartridge in chamber. It should fall free until it hits the end of the chamber (the case headspaces). If the round stops short, or you feel the ogive of the bullet hitting before the case seats. seat a little deeper. Continue until the cartridge goes "thunk" all the way into the chamber and falls out easily when the barrel is inverted. Mebbe try a sized case to see where the case stops (on my FMK the case head is even with the hood, your barrel may differ). What you are shooting for is the finished round entering the chamber and stopping when the case hits the end of the chamber first, without bullet interference. That's the OAL for your bullet in your barrel.
  6. trapnbow

trapnbow Member

mikld,
    That will work. Some tolerance should be allowed for differences in case lenght.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Load em as long as the magazine will take em. and if the mag takes a longer cartridge than the chamber can then load tothe longest the chamber can take..

I too would shoot for 1.130 ballpark..