OAL With Lead

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by steve4102, Nov 17, 2011.

1. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Whats the proper OAL for a straight walled pistol round using a specific bullet. Duno, and neither does your manual. It's up to all of us to find the best OAL that feeds and functions in our handguns while staying safe. All handgun chambers and feed ramps are different and each one deserves it's own OAL.

This is where I start.
    [​IMG]

If it feeds and functions then I am done. If not I can only reduce OAL as going longer is not an option. Once I find the OAL that feeds and functions, I'm done, regardless of what any manual says.

What do you guys do to find the best OAL for your Semi-Auto handguns?
  2. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

Steve, I like to copy the OAL of a factory round when I'm setting up the dies for a new caliber. I have a set of chamber gauges for the pistol calibers I reload, so if the new round drops smoothly into the gauge then I figure I'm all set.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Thats the most important part. I pull the barrels from my handguns when I tinker with new bullets so i can use them as a cartridge guage. Afterall that IS the standard by which my ammo has to be judged because its going to be getting chambered quickly under spring tension next time around and i dont like malfunctions. It makes for an aggravating range session..;)