Obama's Executive Orders?

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by 45nut, Jan 22, 2009.

1. 45nut

45nut Active Member

Does anybody know what he has passed yet? I looked after I posted this and updated my own thread.

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/front/la-na-obama22-2009jan22,0,6712369.story

Excerpt below:

The first order effectively undid a Bush administration policy that had restricted the release of presidential documents -- a rule that had been challenged in court by the National Security Archives and by historians.

Bush's rule allowed former presidents, vice presidents and their heirs to cite executive privilege to block the release of documents after they have left office. With his order, Obama essentially threw out that rule, allowing only the current president to block the release of documents and depriving heirs of that right.

The second Obama order was designed to reinvigorate the Freedom of Information Act. Open-records advocates have complained that a memo by former Atty. Gen. John Ashcroft in 2001 encouraged executive branch officials to delay or halt the release of documents requested under the law.

The third Obama memo was meant to instill a stronger spirit of openness in government. It directed executive branch employees to "operate under principles of openness, transparency and of engaging citizens with their government."
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  2. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    I haven't done any serious digging yet, but so far I've heard he has issued orders to close the Gitmo detention facility within 12 months and withdraw from Iraq within 18 months. Exactly how "withdraw" is defined I'm not sure. I also have no doubt that Barry is leaving himself plenty of wiggle room; he is a politician after all and not JUST the new messiah...
  3. Haligan

Haligan Well-Known Member

When our Govenor was elected here in New Jersey, he campaigned on very much the same ideas as you've illustrated here. John Corzine(that's my boy):rolleyes:;);

I'll put the corruption and dishonesty in this State's government up against any in the nation. Even Illinois.
  4. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Hey, does this mean the documents surrounding JFK will finally be released?
    We can learn what REALLY happened in the Cubin Missile Crisis?

I'll bet not.
    Too much money and political pull in that family to allow that fiasco to come to light!