Obozo/Holder say no to English Only

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by artabr, Jul 31, 2009.

1. artabr

artabr New Member

http://inhofe.senate.gov/public/ind...a-23ad-477e-2bce16d5f883&Region_id=&Issue_id=

DELEGATION QUESTIONS JUSTICE DEPARTMENT’S THREAT TO CUT FEDERAL FUNDING

Contacts: Jared Young 202-224-5762
    Kathryn Heisten 202-224-1282
    July 28, 2009

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Members of the Oklahoma Congressional Delegation today sent a letter to U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder seeking justification and clarification for a letter the Department of Justice (DOJ) sent to Oklahoma Attorney General Drew Edmondson threatening Oklahoma with a loss of federal funding if the state passed a constitutional amendment making English the official language of the state.

The original DOJ letter, characterized by delegation members as dubiously timed at the peak of legislative debate, advises the state that “implementation of this [English-only] amendment may conflict with Oklahoma’s obligations to protect the civil rights of limited English proficient (LEP) persons.”

Dated April 14, 2009 from Acting Assistant Attorney General Loretta King, the DOJ letter states, “As you know, recipients of federal financial assistance must comply with various civil rights statutes, including Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964…which prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, and national origin.” The letter continues, “State agencies and other entities in Oklahoma that receive federal financial assistance thus would be precluded by federal law from abiding by an English-only requirement where it conflicts with their obligations under Title VI.”

The Oklahoma Congressional Delegation’s letter to Holder points out that several other states have passed similar legislation and asks if they too have been “accused by the Department of Justice to be in violation with Title VI, or formally threatened with funding termination.” The delegation letter asks for an explanation for what prompted the DOJ to write the state of Oklahoma on this issue and seeks explanation for what funds would be eliminated should Oklahomans pass the English only amendment.

U.S. Sen. Jim Inhofe stated, “This nation’s cultural diversity is one that contributes to the greatness of our country. I support the state’s effort to pass a constitutional amendment making English the official language of the state because it ultimately facilitates better communication across the many lines of diversity within our state. The state legislature has overwhelmingly passed this amendment, and now it is up to the voters of Oklahoma to decide if they wish to accept it. It is entirely unacceptable for the federal government to try to strong arm the state by threatening to remove federal funding. I look forward to hearing the Justice Department’s explanation for such behavior.”

Senator Tom Coburn, M.D. said, “Attorney General Holder owes the residents of Oklahoma an explanation as to why this thinly veiled threat was issued to Oklahoma on a state matter. The last thing Oklahoma needs is a bureaucrat in Washington dictating more of what we can and cannot do. Officials at the Department of Justice should focus on more pressing matters under their jurisdiction before issuing statements about a state issue that has yet to become law.”

Rep. Dan Boren said, “The state of Oklahoma deserves a clear explanation of why it seems the Department of Justice has singled out the state and threatened funding retribution over a State Legislature initiative that has been approved in other states already. I join my colleagues in urging the Department to give us a full account of their actions on this issue.”

Rep. John Sullivan said, “It is inappropriate for the United States Department of Justice to interfere in what is ultimately a state matter. In 2010, voters in Oklahoma will decide if the state constitution will be amended to make English the official language of the state and I proudly stand with the rest of the state delegation in supporting Oklahoma’s right to decide this issue.”

Rep. Frank Lucas added, “Our country benefits from the diversity of our people. However, throughout our history, it has been our common language that binds us as one nation. In order for new immigrants to our country to be successful and realize the American Dream, they must be able to speak the English language. Punishing the state of Oklahoma for encouraging that is unnecessary.”

Rep. Mary Fallin said, “This incident should send shock waves through every state in the union. The letter from DOJ is an affront to Oklahoma’s tenth amendment rights under the Constitution. We should be allowed to pursue this policy without facing preemptive manipulation from the federal government.”

Related Resources:

DOJ-Edmondson English Funding Termination Letter (185.7 KBs)
    DOJ Delegation Letter (441.4 KBs)
    (these can be linked to in the original story link at the top of the page.)

Art
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  2. Kieran McCaig

Kieran McCaig New Member

is english not the offical language for you people south of me anyway or isa spanish taking over
  3. artabr

artabr New Member

Thats what we are trying to stop.
    Nothing against hispanics, but if you want to live here at least make an attempt to assimilate into the country. If I were to move to Mexico, I'd better damm well learn Spanish.

Art
  4. Kieran McCaig

Kieran McCaig New Member

thats what i say speak english or get out .it was get so bad here I think you could write your drivers test in one of 15 languages
  5. artabr

artabr New Member

That is happening in California and it's killing them financially. The state is forced to cover its debts with I.O.U.'s right now. Some school districts are teaching in 15-20 languages.

Art
  6. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn New Member

OK. Here is something I do not understand. The conservative in me sees the point in making English our official language. That's what we started out with, that's what most of us speak. Nice and simple.

The liberal in me thinks Why bother? It will alienate all those who use English as their second language. Culteral diversity is being slighted by the move.

Now, I do not throw this out there to stir up a ****storm. I really want to know. I realize that I will get kind of a one sided view on this, but that's OK. I'll take it.
  7. artabr

artabr New Member

Why should the majority cave in to the minorty who don't want to make an effort to become Americans.

I'm a Cajun, we spoke French. Some members of my family were beaten and forced to learn English up into the 1940's. I don't think it's to much to ask for them to at least try to assimimlate.

Art
  8. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

My take on this is that I have no problem with immigrants speaking their native language here, but I do have a problem with those immigrants expecting me to learn their native language. American English is my native language and I am in my native country. If I move to Japan, for example, I am expected to at least learn passible Japanese in order to become a citizen. If I move to Mexico, I'm expected to learn Spanish to become a citizen. Why should it be any different here? What do you think woud happen if a bunch of us climbed the fence into Mexico, began living there illegally, and then started demanding that the Mexican gov't make English an official language down there? I don't think we'd get very far.

Hmmm...what if I began speaking nothing but Klingon and then demanded that NC provide a Klingon translator for all services and gov't functions? Or if I actually finshed learning Japanese and started speaking it all the time, demanding that NC provide a Japanese translator? I don't think it would go too far.
  9. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

I was ready to preach about how I am against making English the official language, until I read the thread and saw it was the Fed's telling a State what they could and could not do. :mad:

Why would we expect anything different though from the White House?
  10. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

Obama will probably make Arabic the official speak of our nation. Nah probably not.

How I see it is like this. If people coming into this country are not required to learn our language and the government does not make English the official language then they just as well get the rulers out and start dividing the nation up now.

A nation can not exist speaking multiple languages. It will eventually fracture into multiple entities. It is the same if cultural differences become so pronounced that acceptance of one culture by another is no longer the norm the nation will fracture. See what happened when the Soviet Union disintegrated. We saw local wars break out and genocide in the Slavic and Baltic States.

Don't you begin to think that such is not possible here. Once linguistic divisions are accepted as a norm in this country it will be the start of the collapse of the Nation we once knew. And anyone can see that it is happening today in the South West and the Florida Panhandle.
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  11. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Which reminds me i haven't gotten my weekly newsletter in a long time. Google is probably playing games again.... Liberal Turds...

mike
    gn
  12. dbrodin

dbrodin New Member

All the older immigration waves took pride in having their children, if not themselves, learn English. The Hispanics are the first to show resistance to learning English in particular, and assimilation in general.
  13. parpat

parpat New Member

what happened to the tests to become American citizens where you had to know about government and learn english .. Oh wait the illegals don't need no stinkin papers `
  14. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    There's the breakdown! When I was young I lived with, and associated with the Mexican people of S. TX. Some of the older men and women couldn't speak english, but they were proud of their children who did. I tried dateing some of the Mexican girls, and didn't get too far! It was family pride that kept the grengos out. That pride has been lost due to the fact that there are now way too many illegals in our country that can have what ever they want without haveing to become citizens. We, the citizens of this country, are the ones paying the bill for those that come here for the free ride. It has to stop! Make them all become citizens, learn about our government, and learn to speak the language of this Country!
  15. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

That Is the problem we haven't a language not according to our GUBERMINT
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    Before long we the NORTH AMERICANS will be pushed into a corner and told to JUST SHUT UP WE ARE RUNNING THIS COUNTRY NOW.

[​IMG]