Observations about a reporter's comments about cabin fever/claustrophobia/restlesnes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Remington597, Aug 14, 2004.

1. Remington597

Remington597 Former Guest

I was watching television in the aftermath of our recovery from hurricane Charley and one of the Action News reporters stated that many folks were hurt because they were too restless and could not or did not want to stay in one place after the evacuation. There were many warnings about lulls in the storm, not to drive, wait for official orders, etc,etc,.
    It would seem that many folks disobeyed orders from FEMA, etc, and were on the roads and did not evacuate in time, and others started to go home before the storm made several more shifts. Dozens were killed as a result.
    The reporter had a shrink quack in the studio and this psychologist was talking about how alot of people are claustrophobic and also how they get restless being in a small space, like even when they are in their house for more than a day without going outside and also in shelters where people were packed in like sardines.
    There is also a woman who I work with. I work in a 20 story Tampa skyscraper. She won't go into elevators because she's claustrophobic and she only takes the stairs. She says she's glad were are on the 3rd floor, I keep asking her what she would do if we were on the 15th floor or higher.
    She is silent and obviously dreads the elevator.
    Alot of folks are also ADD (attention deficit or hyper, or whatever it means), and they can't focus on one thing or be in one place for a long period of time.
    So here is what I am thinking, I must be abnormal, because as long as you give me provisions, a few books, some basic entertainment, water, and adequate protection, then you can stick me in a 15x15 bunker and I will stay there for a year to ride out armmagedon. I work 50 hours a week, so I really enjoyed staying indoors, I have no problem with it. I can read, play on the computer like I am doing now or just sleep or even just sit there and think about the meaning of life. I don't mind. Now don't get me wrong, I love the ourdoors, I go hiking, hunting, I ride a bike(with a motor of course), and I love other activities also.
    The one thing I don't get is, how restless and how much "cabin fever", or ADD, or hyper feelings do you have to have to risk your life or your families life. I don't get it.
    Give me some almonds, a few canteens of water, some books, some slim jims and a radio and I am good for days. I don't understand. Is this not normal. I mean I don't care. Give a gravity suit and an oxygen tank and build me a bunker on Mars, I'll adapt.
    Do you think people just panic and can't stay in one place at one time. , or is it that I overanalyze everything. Tell me what your thoughts are on this.

Brian
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2004
  2. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

"Cabin fever" is very real. There are two primary symptoms, however. One is the classic "gotta get out" and the other is "don't bother me, I'm sleeping." Up in Alaska, in the bush, we saw both symptoms. When somebody was doing nothing but sleeping and pulling his shift, sometimes even skipping meals, We'd drag him out of his room and "chase him around the building a few times." The Medic on my first site told me of a fellow who took 2 weeks vacation and spent it in his room, sleeping. They finally had to medevac him.

Pops
  3. Remington597

Wow, so I guess in frontier and remote places it is very real indeed.
    I find this totally fascinating.
    I bet the same thing can happen to combat veterans after prolonged combat or anyone under extreme stress as a whole.
    Interesting, I am going to research this some more.
  4. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I had not thought about it, but there might well be a link between "cabin fever" and some kinds of stress disorders. I know that it is well documented that persons returning to "civilization" after prolonged periods of isolation tend to "let loose." I suspect this is a symptom of the same syndrome, expressed differently.

The reverse can be seen in those who have to get out to isolation fairly often, or they get edgy and upset. I guess it all boils down to "too much of a good thing can be bad for your health." (But, it's sure fun while it lasts. :D )

Pops
  5. dcon12

dcon12 Active Member Supporting Member

I for one do not go to town very often. I like to stay on the farm and am happy here. My wife on the other hand, loves to go to town and shop. I could live my life without people as long as my groceries and beer were provided me. Don :D
  6. Remington597

:p , groceries and beer. We men are easy to please. , and a little companionship, that about does it, oh wait, don't forget the guns!
  7. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I...read between the lines !!!! :D :D :D :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2004
  8. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Neat little red bow on your avatar Ruger there mike. Cute
  9. glocknut

glocknut New Member

berto

Your eyesight is failing you friend......failing you badly !!!!! :D :p