Observations on the Russian Rifles

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by Pistolenschutze, May 23, 2006.

1. They didn't? Hmmm, I was under the impression that the U.S. won both World War I and World War II, Polish. I also seem to remember that in both wars we used a rifle called the Springfield, which, as I also seen to recall, was a Mauser action design that the U.S. government tried to steal from the Germans. Mauser sued the U.S. government over that neferious attempt at infringement . . . and won! :D

By the way, glad to see you back on the Forum, Polish. I must admit, I missed you. I had no one to argue with! ;)
  2. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Hey, a measely $200,000 settlement to Paul von does not make the Springfield a MAUSER...Heck, the ARISAKA is as much a "Mauser" as the Springfield...

(Plus our MAIN issue and most used in combat rifle in WWI was the P-17 ENFIELD and in War II it was the Garand, so that doesn't cut it either... :D )
  3. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

Two snorts for the MN and for the reach out and touch you......6.55 SWEDE equipped with 1940`s low power glass---------OH BABY!!!

LTS
  4. polishshooter

Hey LTS!

Possibly the BEST Sniper in History used a presentation "6.5 Swedish Mauser with 1940s low powered glass" for about 6 of his 500+ kills, but went back to the Mosin Nagant because it was "More accurate, and hit harder..." :cool: ;)

I always wondered if the Swedes hadn't stayed "neutral," if THEY would have run to a .30 caliber as fast as the Japs, Dutch and Eyeties did when the buddets started flying "for real".....
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2006
  5. No, the settlement doesn't, Polish, but the design of the action bloody well does! Merely calling an apple an orange makes for terrible orange marmalade! :D The Springfield was a fine and reliable battle rifle primarily BECAUSE of its close kinship to the Mauser. As for the Arisaka, if you're going to call it a Mauser, then you may as well call a Mosin a Mauser, and I suspect that would make a good Polish person like you reach for a barf bag. ;) Granted, they were all bolt action rifles, but there the resemblence ends. Mauser's rule, Mosins drool! :p
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2006
  6. polishshooter

PS, every book on the Arisaka says it IS a "Mauser" derivative...probably the magazine and bolt head I would guess...

But I've always liked the Arisaka nonetheless! :cool: :D

But I always got a kick out of the fact Mussolini in a gesture of "Tripartite Brotherhood" gave the JJapanese Army a bunch (I think a thousand?) of specially made Carcanos in 6.5 Jap....the General said "Thank you veddy much, Pasta breath" (or something like that!) and promptly gave them all to the Jap NAVY... :D :D :D