Occasional feed jam with Kimber TLE/RL II

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Screamindman, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Screamindman

Screamindman New Member

I have a Kimber TLE/RL II (external extractor) with a Roguard black matte finish that I scooped used, but in absolutely cherry condition (slight hammer wear only). I've put about 300 rounds through it using Kimpro 8 rounders. Had one failure to feed. I noticed that ejected shells were flying about 15 ft away, so per the advice of the forum, I changed out the recoil spring to a wilson 18.5 pounder, and shot about 100 more rounds of CCI/Blaser ammo. I had one failure to feed after the gun was pretty dirty, and on the last round in the magazine. It looked like the round nose dived, and wouldn't feed, then I removed the mag, tryed to clear the jam by racking the slide, and it fed into the chamber no problem, and fired the last shot. I fired off about 75 more rounds with no problem at all. do you think that switching magazine styles like for a Wilson or a Chip Mccormick would remedy this. I'm a Glock guy originally, and have only had one failure to feed with my Glock 23 in about 5000 rds give or take, so I'm used to that kind of reliability. Before I make this pistol my first choice for home defense, I want to make sure it will be super reliable. I'm new to the Kimber 1911, but not to firearms. Also there is some play in the magazine well, is this common in the 1911? Any thoughts?
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
  2. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Just use your Kimber magazines for playing around. If you are going to be shooting seriously get some Wilson Combat Magazines(47D). Most people agree they are the most reliable. My Kimber magazines haven't given me any trouble as of yet, but I have a Wilson that I keep in it when I am carrying. Also, Kimber has two styles of magazines out(they may have discontinued the first). On the first on the follower doesn't have a lip to keep it from rocking forward and down, the second corrected this problem. you might check and see which one yours is. If it's the first, I would reccomend only using it for plinking. Wilson is the way to go all the way, though.
  3. Screamindman

Screamindman New Member

Thanks, I'm trying to narrow the problem down. Some people claim it might be the external extractor, and others the mags I use. I don't want to send my slide to kimber because I have a rogaurd finish that i would have to have redone.
  4. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Use Wilson Combat or Metalform mags and enjoy your Kimber.
  5. standles

standles New Member

Had the same thing happening to mine.

Tossed Kimber mags and got all wilson 47D. Never had another problem with factory.

Had problem resurface when reloading .45acp SWC. Fixed this by adjusting overal length slightly longer. Problem dissapeared.

New problem is suporting my ammo habit and trying to find someone to clean the guns for me :D

Steven
  6. Doc R

Doc R New Member

Scream
    I have 3 kimbers (2)5'',(1)3".
    Never a problem with 5" bbls.. But 3" had same problems as your's. Solutions:
    -Repalce mags. with newer Kimber's as suggested above or go with Wilson (great mags.)
    -Polish and throat chamber: some Kimbers will fail to feed when they become dirty (100-300 rds.) and throating and polishing cahmber will fix problem
    Worked for me.
  7. Screamindman

Screamindman New Member

Thanks for some advice guys. I actually just sent my gun back to the factory for the aforementioned problems, and some other minor issues. Hopefully, they'll take care of everything for me. Spoke to a really nice lady in the custom shop, and she told me they'd take care of everything! Really nice people over there, very comforting and understanding. Lets see what happens in two weeks or so.