Oct. 100 yard .22

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by keppler, Oct 6, 2003.

1. keppler

keppler New Member

Snuck away for awhile today with my wife and dad. Managed to fire a couple of decent groups, heres the best one.

CZ-452 Varmint
    Simmons 4-14 x 40 A/O
    Rest- front & rear bags
    Federal Gold Medal Match
    100 yards 5 shot group
    wind- calm to light

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2003
  2. Jay

Jay Active Member

Nice shooting Keppler,
    I've been giving some serious thought to the 452 Varmint. Perhaps I should think harder.

I won't be able to get to the range till Wed or Thurs. My BSA Martini should be here by then, and I'm anxious to see how it will perform. I'll post some targets by the end of the week.

Jay
  3. keppler

keppler New Member

Thanks Jay.
    I hadn't joined in with Joe's matches lately and thought of it so here I am. Wanting to go squirrel hunting and now my squirrel rifle is zeroed at a hundred yard...lol

Didn't have time to rezero so if I get a chance to go, I guess I'll have to take a Kimber, I think they're sighted in at 50 yards. If not at least I got a good excuse to go back to my range.

Sorry I haven't been around much...been busy working and other stuff. Bout time to start shooting more tho.:D
  4. Jay

Jay Active Member

Hey Keppler,

If you get time, I'd value your opinions on the 452 Varmint. Heard some...... but I need you to be picky. I am, and I don't want to have to turn around and sell it, if I get one and am disappointed with it.

Thanks, Jay
  5. keppler

keppler New Member

Sometime back I posted about all the troubles this rifle had given me.
    New out of the box it would group probably between 1/2" and 1" at 50 yards with any ammo I put thru it. Personaly I expected more and wanted more from it, so began my first experience with bedding. Read all I could find and finally figured out there wasn't all that much to it. Picked up a bedding kit from Brownells and some modeling clay and went at it. Free floated the barrel while doing the bedding job also. Installed a trigger kit from Eric on RFC and tried again. All this helped some, kept the groups down to 1/2" or less but the groups looked more like patterns with a lot of flyers with all ammo. I talked to a local gunsmith who suggested fire lapping so I tried that. Fixed the problem with the flyers and groups are consistent with good ammo. I also treated the bore with Moly-Fusion after fire lapping.

So in my humble opinion.....After all the trouble I had getting it to shoot like it does....I guess since it took me this long to decide if I would buy another one...I don't think I would unless I wanted something to tinker with.
  6. Jay

Jay Active Member

Thanks for your candor. That's just the situation I need to avoid. I've many hours fixing stuff over the years, and it just rubs me to pay several hundred dollars for a rifle I have to "fix" to make it shoot accurately. Yep, I'm gettin lazy in my old age, but I've earned it. ;)

There's only a couple of my rifles that just won't hold good groups, but I paid less than $100 for them. I paid over $300 for a well known HB target rifle last year, and every one of my old Mossbergs outshot it. So, I traded it off, and bought another old Mossberg. :D

I've noticed that my attitude in some areas is not mellowing as I was told that it would. .......... hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
  7. keppler

keppler New Member

I was just really dissapointed with this rifle. I picked up a CZ Trainer when I purchased my first Kimber for a really good price and it shoots better than I expected. I guess I was expecting more from this version. The biggest difference between the trainer and the varmint model affecting accuracy ...far as I can tell... is the trainer has 2 action screws while the varmint has 1 action screw and a barrell lug. I picked up this rifle while purchasing my second Kimber and thought my wife would like it since its short and easy to hold. She still shoots the trainer tho and dont like the varmint at all..no matter how it shoots.

So will I buy another CZ....probably...just not another 452-varmint.
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2003
  8. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Nice to hear both Jay and Kepplers comments...(just a student my ownself)...trackin' a contender at auction at the moment, just to keep up with y'all!!!...;) If i get it!...Ya can bet i'm gunna post it's pic!!!...:cool:
  9. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

BTW, Kep! At 100 yd's...that's impressive!!!...;)
  10. keppler

keppler New Member

Thanks SG...I'll keep tryin.