The Firearms Forum banner

OCW Load Development

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  LDBennett 
#1 ·
Anyone familiar with the OCW Load Development method? I stumbled across it last night and it looks like a legitimate load development method. It seems to me to be a little more conclusive than the Ladder test method, which I currently use.

Heres a link to it. http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/

#3 ·
im going to attempt it once i get my stock fit to my savage...

#4 ·
Very interesting, and seems like a viable approach to load development, but I believe #19 (under instructions) pretty much sums everything up.....the average rifle and average shooter may fall somewhat short in this area.

There are many (many) other factors also involved in obtaining good accuracy, and they all must be observed and met.......to date I don't believe the benchrest fraternity has adopted this OCW theory, and they still turn in the smallest one hole groups on the planet.

If you meet the conditions laid out in #19, I'd give it a try.......and let us know the results...

Thanks for posting this info.......

#5 ·
I think this is close to the way I do it but I use five shot groups. Statistically five shot groups are more representative than three shot groups. I have round robin shot the groups and shot all five of one level at a time and seen little difference. I space the load levels about a grain apart then split the difference between the two best groups to see if it is better still. I know there is more to it than groups but the rest I find is common sense choices I make anyway.

There are a lot of very accurate shooters who insist that the bullet be very close to the lands and that the bullet have minimal runout and say those are keys to accurate loads. I practice placing the bullet close to the lands but have not found the tool yet to do the runout measurement that I like. The Hornady tool looked good and had the means to straighten the bullet out built into the tool. But I lost interest when I realize the rear of the case revolved on the rim. I have seen too many rims beat up by the extractor to trust that method.

LDBennett

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.