The Firearms Forum banner

Odd 45acp blazer brass

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  gdmoody 
#1 ·
I recently purchased once fired brass, mostly blazer. Blazer Brass I've used in the past was inscribed "cci 45 AUTO". this reads "BLAZER 45 Auto". I mention only to accurately describe. My only concern is the primer; it's a small primer in all those I just bought. My shop says they don't know what to sell; standard or magnum or rifle. ANY IDEAS are greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum dragonreg.

I reloaded those in the past, until it got to be a pain in the butt to load when they got mixed with the "normal" brass. Now I just throw them in my unwanted brass bin and don't mess with them.

To answer your question, though, you use standard small pistol primers!!

#3 ·
Welcome to the forum! The SP 45acp's have been causing all kinds of problems in the last couple of years. They're becoming more and more common too. I used to just toss'em in the scrap pile, but now I figure that they're still very capable of being useful. I could use SPP's in them if I ever needed to in a desperate situation. I have enough standard cases for the time being, so for now they just sit.

If you bought a large batch, I'd just keep all your standard brass seperate and load up what you have using SPP's. I'd suggest using Winchester SPP's as a first choice along with Titegroup or W231.

The other option is to see if you can get a refund; did the shop specify that these were non-standard primers? If they want to keep their reputation, they should give you your money back if you don't want them and didn't know they were SPP's.

#4 ·
On a slight 'plus' side, you can use the same load data for those pesky small primered brass cases as you would for large.

But they are a royal PIA to sort.

#5 ·
Do a search on "small primer 45 ACP". This topic is making the rounds of reloading forums. In tests, the only difference in shooting/loads/functionng/accuracy is a velocity difference of less than 25 fps lower with small primers vs large pistol primers. Only problems arise when a batch of brass is dumped into an automated priming system w/o looking at the primers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.