1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

odd code on barrel of Remington M24

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by ueckhaus1, Aug 14, 2006.

1. ueckhaus1

ueckhaus1 New Member

I'm hoping someone might know about the odd barrel code on a recently aquired Remington M24 / s/n 877XX. The code on the left side of the barrel near the receiver is O X ( which I understand to mean July of 1929 ) followed by either the top 2/3rds of the number 2, or the top 2/3rds of a ? symbol. It appears to be quite stylized, and maybe 25% larger than the O and X, but it appears to be struck off center so I can't tell for sure what character it is.

Also, this little plinker has a 19" barrel, and it's chambered and marked for .22 LR only. I thought the .22 short models had the 19" barrel, and that the .22 LR models had 21" ?

I'd appreciate any info!

Glenn
  2. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2006
  3. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

After looking threw three books, all I show is the 21 inch barrel for both. But yours has a 19 inch barrel, which leads me to believe they were both 19 inches instead of 21. Since Browning copied this design and made it famous, it too has either or---19.25 or 22.25 but the shorter barrel is for the long rifle in this case. Amazing that Remington couldn`t make a go of it-while Browning had success with it almost thirty years later.

LTS
  4. ueckhaus1

ueckhaus1 New Member

THANKS to ibtrukn & liktoshoot for the info and leads. I'll let you know what I find out.

Glenn