Odd Colt item

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by morsecode, Oct 25, 2005.

1. morsecode

morsecode New Member

Something I picked up from ebay. Seller says :

"This unusual Colt switchbox was taken out of a Upper Peninsula log cabin that was built in the 1930's during the WPA employment days. It has a wooden switch knob and a metal tag that states it was made by the COLT'S PATENT FIRE ARMS MFG. CO. in Hartford Conn.

From what I could find out this was supposedly manufactured when Colt was trying to make different items to raise capitol in thier very slow years. I wrote to Colt to find out about the switch and their response letter stated that they had no knowledge of this item being produced.

I have never seen another one anywhere and I have been an electrician for 35 years."

Did Colt have slow years? Does that fit in with pre-war scenario?

The lower left part of the panel says: Colt's Patent Firearms Mfg. Co / Hartford, Conn

I live in CT and sometimes see Colt stuff in the area antique shops. If you want me to keep an eye out for anything specific (besides guns) drop me a line.

Rob

Attached Files:

2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

I have heard stories of accounts like this. Don't know of any personally, but it has happened. Nice find! :)
  3. mtnboomer

mtnboomer New Member

Oklahoma by birth. America by the grace of God.
    During the depression many of the firearms manufacturers began making other items to suppliment their incomes - this was more out of necessity than anything else.

Yes, great find!
  4. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

My dad worked for Colt in the late 1930's.....and yes, the Depression years from 1929 to 1938 were very lean at Colt. In mid-'38 they started getting some MG contracts from Great Britain and a few from the U.S. in the lead-up to WWII....and things picked up after that.

Another interesting Colt item (my dad had one) was a cigarette box made of bakelite (an early plastic) in the shape of a book. It's cover said "The Adventures of Lady Nicotine by S. Colt". Whether this was made as a money making or promotional item, I don't know.....but I wish I had it now.

I'd suggest you pick up any unusual Colt marked items that you can. They can only appreciate in value.
  5. morsecode

morsecode New Member

Just what I need, another hobby :rolleyes:

For some reason, though, I find I'm actually looking for the Colt stuff more and more. Colt itself is a fascinating story that appeals to me on many levels (more than just owning their guns). Funny that I drove past the Onion Dome every day for 10 years and never gave it a thought...

If and when I find anything interesting I'll post it here.

Rob
  6. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Yeah, Rob.....the onion dome was a fixture there on Hyshope Ave. for years.....I hear that the dome is now at the CT State Library with the Colt Collection. Is that true?

As I said, my Dad worked for Colt's in late '30's.....and my wife worked in the Colt building in the '80's while the dome was still on the building. By that time, the building had been turned in to office and small business space, and she worked for a copier company there.

I've heard the U.S. Arms Co. is building reproduction SAAs in the building now.....nice to hear that "Colt's" are being made there again.....I'll bet that keeps all of the "ghosts" happy. :)
  7. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Ah, yes, I do remember the Colt "Lady Nicotine" box, and it seems that my 75 year old mind faintly recalls that it came with a Colt derringer inside, and was meant to conceal the pistol in a bookcase.
  8. FloridaFialaFan

FloridaFialaFan New Member

Re: ANOTHER ODD COLT ITEM

How about this 3-pronged Colt screwdriver? Any info on these? I obtained this one back about 1950 when I was in High School. Can't recall how I came to acquire it. but it was beautifully deep-blued just like their guns. I believe this is strictly a promo item. Opposite side has the Rampant Colt logo. It's about the thickness of a dime and the size of an old Ike "silver" dollar. Saw one in an online auction a few months ago. It was at $13.50 and I wasn't interested. FFF
    [​IMG]