odd Home defense ammo

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by ineedsoap16, Aug 19, 2009.

1. ineedsoap16

ineedsoap16 New Member

I saw in a catalogue today some ammo for 12ga home defense that I have not seen before. Just wanted some pros / cons of it. It is a 2 3/4 shell that contains 1 large slug-like projectile and 6 buckshot like projectiles in one cartridge. it was labeled "Home defense round". Any experience with this loading?
  2. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Yup and they are junk. Acuracy falls off sharply at 25 ft and the six balls just go where ever they damn well please. For instance if your bed room is at the end of the hall and you r kids room is between you and the perp, You fire down the hall, you dont even know if the slug is gonna fly on target. Go buy some and fire em off. I tell you aint gonna be inpressed
  3. spartabruce

spartabruce New Member

I dont have to many places in my house that would give me a 25 ft shot. everything would be preety close so it might be better than just a slug or buck shot esp. for a women not used to either
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    IMHO, I would stick with what's been proven to work. You might get only one shot!:eek:
  5. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

Only way to know for sure is try some out. I'd trust good ol' fashioned 00 buck though.
    Some of those fancy shotgun rounds are said to have the potential to damage your gun, too. They LOOK scary though.
    Another thing to consider in any situation where shooting someone is a possibility: I don't know about your local laws or the sensibilities of the LEO and judges, but this type of exotic round has been billed as a "mankiller" round by prosecutors before, to make it seem you used "overkill" or some such thing.
    I wish I owned an ammunition manufacturing company, I'd market home-defense "Be Nice to Intruders" ammo, in 00 buck with aspirin powder so it wouldn't hurt so much.
  6. Mjolnir

Mjolnir New Member

Careful not to put too much aspirin in there or they might accidentally overdose. Hahaha.
  7. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

put in a small capsule of Morphene or Novacaine
  8. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Look in that catalog for reduced recoil 00 buckshot.

If you try it, you'll find you get nice tight patterns inside 25 meters, quite a bit less recoil, and less blast. The terminal effect is still the same.

Many many exotic shotgun loads have been tested...they always prove that 2 3/4" 00 buckshot is the standard for combat shotguns. The reduced recoil loads are a step further in the right direction; those loads increase your firepower by helping you stay on target.
  9. ineedsoap16

ineedsoap16 New Member

Nice posts. I thought about the "mankiller" thing. They seem as if the ballistics would be horrible. Just wanted to see if anyone has tried em. I may buy a box of 5 just to see how bad they are.
  10. Islandboy

Islandboy New Member

So what about bean bags, ect ect.
    Non lethal rounds for 12 ga.?
    Not to say I want any chance of a perp having a second chance but I'm curious about 'em.
    Also, a friend has some exploding 12 ga shells:eek:
    Who make them? They sound fun;)
  11. FTK87

FTK87 New Member

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  12. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Regular 2 3/4" 00 buckshot usually has 9 pellets.

The reduced recoil 2 3/4" 00 buckshot usually has 8 pellets. (1200ish fps)

Looks like those has just 6 pellets. Having never fired 2" shells, that's just an observation.
  13. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

island boy them bean bags hurt like hell. I'd rather be shot with an actual round than a bloody bean bag. I have never had anything hurt like that. I'd rather be in a car accident. Here is the story

I donned a foot ball helmet and a hard plastic neck brace to protect the noodle and marched my fatt butt 150 ft from where Ugly SR was and turned my back to him and let him shoot me/ The first shot hit me in the rear and Ugly Sr said it was an accident, The second shot took me in the right shoulder blade. They are not a long range round, After about 200 feet they are pretty much useless. too much drop, At a 150 It hurt and hurt bad, Inside 10o ft they may not be leathel but them damn things will break bones I promise you.
  14. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

The Ugly family is apparently not the brightest!
  15. ineedsoap16

ineedsoap16 New Member

I think I love the Ugly family. Best stories ever.
  16. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

LOL the ugly family sounds like my kinda bunch!
  17. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

BU, there's a redneck story there somewhere. "Hold my sign!"... :D