Odds and sods

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by Bobitis, Jun 21, 2012.

1. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

not me that's for sure
  2. Clipper

Clipper Active Member

Calf fries...not the dainty little offerings sliced and breaded, but the ones right out of the branding iron fire...squirt a bit when you bite into it, but delicious specially on a really cold day.

Son of a bitch stew should be enjoyed around the chuck wagon, don't ask what's in it....
  3. armoredman

armoredman New Member

When in the PI I had REAL Calamari, not this itty bitty squid junk they serve here, I'm talking long tentacles, was like chewing on a warm gummy bear, yummy. Also had barbecued baboon, very good.
  4. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Sweet breads, pickled anything, (herring, eggs, watermelon rind, hocks, leeks etc,), Sashimi, frog legs, tongue, brains and baked beans, haggis in fact not much I won't eat except drinking tea, my belly just don't like it.

Note to self, buy 2 dozen eggs and make a new batch, down to 5 in the jar and that is dangerously close to none.
  5. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

Souse Loaf, either raw for frying or sliced for lunch meat, boiled rabbits head, ox tails, and of course scrapple!!
  6. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Oh Yeah Grump......
    Pickled Herring....in white sauce or not !!!!!
    You have a good recipe for pickled eggs ???
  7. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    PICKLED EGGS​

This is the way I do it, if you have a civilized tummy you might want to cut back on the peppers. If your belly is cave man tough toss in a couple of ramps in with the eggs and wait the full 90 days.

1 gallon.boiled eggs,peeled.
    4 cups 5% vinegar
    4 cups water
    10bay leaves
    1/4 cup sea salt
    1 cup whole dried chili petines (also known as Bird Pepper)
    1/4 cup mustard seeds
    4 tbs turmeric
    Fill gallon jar with eggs,

Mix water and vinegar, add all dry ingredients and bring to boil. Pour vinegar mix over the eggs. Then cover and let cool on the counter to room temperature. Seal jar and refrigerate for 30 days or so. 90 days is better but usually I just can’t wait longer than 30 days. Once they have done their time in the back of the refrigerator go ahead and put them on the counter, they will not go bad and you will need the space in the refrigerator for your next batch.

I use a little of the old vinegar mix to top off my jar after I put the hot mix in so my vinegar mix is slowly getting stronger. I don;t know if this is good or bad but as time goes on I have to share less and less of my eggs and I get more for me.

Alternate one is mash a couple up, mix with a dab of Dijon mustard, spoon full of mayonnaise, and sweet pickle relish for a couple of tart egg salad sandwiches. Alternate use two is if you like scotch eggs use the pickled eggs for a different flavor.

What do you mean do I have a recipe for pickled eggs?