Oesterr Waffenfabr-Ges Steyr Mannlicher Schoenauer M1905

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by alimac007, Jun 13, 2007.

1. alimac007

alimac007 New Member

I am looking for information on this rifle.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The wood does have a few marks on it indicating some wear. The leather case it is in really does have a lot of wear. The bolt does not seem to have much wear at all. I am interested in its history and its value. I appreciate any help. Thank you.
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2007
  2. Mark

Mark New Member

Welcome to the forum.

Very nice pictures.

It appears you have a 1905 Mannlicher Schoenauer, which I believe is cal. 9X56 MS. The recoil pad is not original to the gun, originally these had a fitted curved steel buttplate.
    You also need a trigger guard.
    There was a lot of variation with the prewar (before WWI) Mannlicher Schoenauers in reguards to bore, groove, and headspace. You should have this rifle checked by a competant gunsmith. By competant gunsmith, I don't mean a parts changer who builds "tacticool 870's".

As far as value, your rifle is VERY neat, but not a collector specimen because of the pad, and trigger guard. Originality really counts big with these old rifles. Depending on where you are located, I'm guessing value to be anywhere between $400 to $600. I may be horribly mistaken on this guess. The best bet would be to ask the gunsmith when you have the rifle checked out.
    Mark
  3. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi alimac007....welcome to TFF.

Is it the M1905 rifle or carbine? If it's the carbine, it should have a barrel length of 19.7 inches. The rifle had various barrel lengths up to 25". Both were in caliber 9x56mm Mannlicher-Schoenauer.

The early Mannlicher-Schoeauer carbines and rifles were among the most beautiful, smooth working, and well made firearms ever manufactured.

Yours looks to be in decent condition, but unfortunately is missing it's trigger guard.....and spare parts are virtually impossible to find. However, it's entirely possible that a good gunsmith could make one for you.

In it's present condition (with a proper triggerguard) I'd say it's in about 70%-80% condition.

Blue Book value:

80% - $725
    70% - $600
  4. alimac007

alimac007 New Member

Thank you mark and xracer for your responses. I will try and get measurements this evening. I reside in Tomball, TX. I'll also try and see about getting a trigger guard. I appreciate your help.
  5. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

I've been looking for one of these for years, but in minty condition. Even the ones I've seen in so so condition are priced at over $1200.
  6. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 14, 2007
  7. alimac007

alimac007 New Member

I just measured the barrel and it is 19.7" I am taking it to a gunsmith today to see about getting a trigger guard for it and to see about a good estimate for value. I appreciate all your help and it looks like I could get anywhere from $700 to $1500 for it.
  8. Mark

Mark New Member

I would be VERY interested as to what your gunsmith says as to value.

I'm normally not very far out on these, but things change pretty rapidly. It would be nice to hear the whole story, if you have to stick 200.00 into it to get $800.00 out, then I'm not too far off.

If it's worth $1200.00 the way it is, well then I'm sure left at the bakery.
    Mark
  9. mmturley

mmturley New Member

I have a similar rifle I ahve inherited, although a different model. Can anyone provide a value estimate or other details?

Ges Steyr model 12113
    7.9mm (53 1/2 6/15)
    StmG 10gr
    has twin triggers trigger guard, shoulder strap and a voigtlander scope
    It is in excellent condition
    Looks like the 1905 M stock and length
  10. deovolens

deovolens New Member

An original 1905 in 9x5.6 mm with sight graduated from 10 to 100 m
    [​IMG]
  11. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

Hi Alimac, and welcome. The value of your M/S will always be subjective given the added recoil pad and trigger guard situation. The likelihood of finding an original guard is slim to none so one will have to be manufactured and/or fitted. You will then have a very fine rifle with, unfortunately, two non-original parts. Well, at least two. I have never seen a M-1905 with a serial number on the stock. Given that the number on your stock does not match the serial number on the breech (which is fitting for a M-1905), I am suspect that the stock may have been replaced.

The original butt plate had a trap door and, when opened, there were receptacles which housed a cleaning rod and two spare cartridges. If you remove the butt plate on your rifle you will find three holes in the stock.

M-1905's came in several different calibers, so have it checked by a qualified gunsmith familiar with older firearms. Should you decide to use the gun, ammo is available for all of the calibers though you will have to search the Internet to find same. Start with Old Western Scrounger.

The market for your gun will always be an end user, not a collector. It is OK to use the "books" to try and estimate value, but error on the very low side. As is, I would suggest $400-600.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  12. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

MMTurley,

PLEASE post some photos of your gun. I have not seen one with a Voigtlander scope except for the one in my collection. Try to get close-ups of serial #s etc.
  13. 6mm-Man

6mm-Man New Member

I also have one of these rifles. Mine is a 6.5x57 and is in Prestine condition. I'd appreciate any information you all could share regarding history and value.

Attached Files:

14. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

6mmMan,

Dang...that sure it purdy!:D Prisine as you say from what is seen. My complements on your fine rifle. Have you ever shot it? Is the scope clear and bright? Some one else will give you your information. I"m just here drooling...:p and maybe learning a thing or two...

Kirk
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  15. 6mm-Man

6mm-Man New Member

No, I have not shot it yet. I need to get some ammo. The scope is clear and bright.