% of .22 "knock down power"...I need ideas.

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Crpdeth, Jan 30, 2007.

1. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Sometimes the shortest way is the long way around:D
  2. Exactly so, Al! If you do decide to go for a .22 revolver (which does have some advantages), Donny, I agree with Al and would suggest avoiding the DAO (shrouded hammer designs) and go with one with a visible (and cockable!) hammer. Thus you can shoot the revolver in double action if rapid, very close range shots are indicated, or cock the hammer for more accurate single action use.

Never underestimate the effectiveness of three or four, quickly delivered, long rifle, high velocity, 37 grain .22s to eliminate agressive tendencies in any potential opponent. :D
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2007
  3. martbo

martbo New Member

A load disbursement suggestion: 2 CCI mini-mags 22LR hollowpoints followed by a standard full leadhead.
  4. board917

board917 New Member

When someone gets shot they know they have been shot, they dont stop to think about caliber size. Also, you don't really need to "knock them down" as much as deter the threat, an intruder in your home is probably gonna try to escape when you start shooting, that is if he is there for your stuff and not you.

The main reason you hear about knock down power in calibers is more for law enforcement and needing big callibers to literally knock down pople hopped up on drugs. Ive seen a crack head get 5 chest and abdomen shots with a .45 from 15 feet away then take off running a half mile down the street.

If this is for home defense only then she needs a high capacity shotgun with frangible, especially if there are other people living in the house. But if she really wants a pistol then you cant go wrong with a Walther P22 and CCI Stinger ammo, this gun will fit her hands guarenteed.
  5. Pat Hurley

Pat Hurley Former Guest

So much good stuff has already been said, Crp, that I don't have much original to offer you. Except that I have found that letting the newcomer to firearms go slowly, gain confidence through practice, and progress to larger weapons and calibers on their own timetables is usually the best strategy.

What's worse, being underarmed or not armed at all? A novice who is intimidated by the firearm she posesses will insure that the firearm gathers dust and be if little use in an emergency.

Don't push, just gently encourage and offer lots of compliments when she masters a new skill. Before you know it she'll ask you to graduate from a Walther P22 (a super weapon, by the way) to a .380, and perhaps a 9mm. And the shooting sports/2nd Amendment enthusiasts will have gained another kindred spirit.

Keep us posted. And tell her she's got a lot of moral support and people routing for her in these hallowed and heavily armed halls of cyberspace. :)
  6. obxned

obxned New Member

20g shotgun with low recoil buckshot!
  7. charagrin

charagrin Former Guest

There is absolutly nothing wrong with a .22. Im not a pro but I can work numbers. If you have decided to shoot some one to kill then you might as well go all the way. Empty the clip. The .22 may not be strong with only one round but 10 rounds is something else. Simple as that
  8. hoser1

hoser1 New Member

I'll 2nd the 22 mag suggestion, but, as was mentioned, it is a revolver round anymore. I've got a Grendel P30 that's a blast to shoot (30 rounds) and has never failed to function but is hard to trust your life to it and besides, Clinton killed it with his ban and now if you can find one, they are expensive. But, its a dandy cartridge.
  9. patrol

patrol New Member

First Off Handguns dont' knock you off your feet. There are two important factors to stopping a threat quickly. Peneatration and Trauma that causes fast bleed out. This is why a handgun is considered a secondary weapon. Having said this: Its always good to have your cousin use what she shoots well with and feels best in her hands. The problem with semi-auto's for females besides recoil is manipulation of the slide to cycle a round. Beretta makes a flip top 84 Cheetah in 380 or they used to that women love. I also reccommend the Browining Hipower, my wife shoots that one the most and she can rack the slide easier than with about any other pistol and it fits her hand. The 22 situation will definatley kill and debilitate or maim no doubt but if she goes to that she has to be willing to pull the trigger until the gun is empty to have any stopping effect, ive seen too many women that shoot once then throw down the gun like a kid. Not to stereo type) Good luck