Off to Annapolis

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gunfyter, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Gunfyter

Gunfyter New Member

The current session of the MAryland legislature will soon draw to a close. The gun-grabbers have tried very hard to enact new AWB legislation but so far we have be able to hold them off. Today and tomorrow a whloe slew of new bills will be read, some for and some against. CCW has been introduced for consideration and I plan to testify as being in favor. This is a copy of my remarks. Feel free to add anything I might have missed.

I have come here today to ask for your support for this piece of legislation. Throughout my lifetime I have been a loyal citizen of Maryland, leaving only for undergraduate school and service in The United States Army during the Viet Nam War. As I approach my senior years, I find myself becoming more and more afraid for my safety and the safety of my wife. Law enforcement is sworn to uphold the laws, not protect me. Almost on a daily basis I read in the newspaper and see television reports of killings and various violent assualts on innocent people.

Just eight weeks ago, I underwent my third joint replacement surgery. I am unable to either run or fight if assualted. If I were to be involved in a violent confrontation, I would have little chance of surviving. The Maryland State Police say that I must furnish proof of a threat on my life, yet I fear that my proof will be my obituary. Today, Maryland is an oasis of opportunity for the criminal element because they know that their victims will likely be unarmed.

Throughout the ages, the right of self-protection has been an absolute one. Every state surrounding Maryland enjoys the freedom of self-protection with right-to-carry. Currently, thirty-seven states enjoy this right and in each case, the crime rate has gone down. Citizens with CCW licenses serve as a strong deterrent to criminal activity especially with the on-going war against terror. During 2003, I spent several hundred dollars with a Maryland based company for instruction in the use of deadly force with a handgun. This training included both classroom and range instruction in the safe handling and judicious use of a handgun.

I would like to leave you with the following words: “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man”. The person who wrote these words – Thomas Jefferson, over two hundred years ago.
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2004
  2. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Well said, Gunfyter. Good luck in your fight.
  3. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

that is AWESOME!!! VERY WELL SAID!!! wow!
    let us know how this thing goes!! & GOOD LUCK!!
  4. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

Gunfeyter, good luck in your endeavor because it is people like you that make our country great and effect changes for the betterment of all.
  5. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Good luck Gunfyter. Hope you are able to convinve those who are trying to disarm us that once our guns are gone, they will have to protect themselves!
  6. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Let 'em have it, GF!

It is such a pleasure to see one standing up as we all should.
  7. Remington597

Remington597 Former Guest

Very well said. I can tell that you are a true patriot, we are therefore with you in your struggle against global dissarmament and the demonic forces of the UN and global bolshevism.
  8. Gunfyter

Gunfyter New Member

Update

An interesting day to say the least. My brother and I arrived in Annapolis at noon and after a quick sandwich, headed off the the Senate Bldg. I signed up to speak first thing and then started greeting friends from The High Road and making new friends. All of us were wearing red badges noting that "Maryland Gunowners Vote", The hearing was to begin at 1:00 PM but didn't kick off until 2:45. The chairman of the committee is ttotally anti-gun and used his powers to delay the reading of the bill until after 7 PM last evening. We stuck it out and testified for a solid hour in favor of the bill. NOT ONE person spoke against it. Most of the bills introduced earlier had to do with adding words to various criminal statutes about gay, lesbian, transgender, alternate lifestyle bashing, hate crimes, etc, Unbelieveable. When we finally got our turn, the Senator who sponsored the bill noted that most of the requests for protection asked for up to that time would have been aided by right-to carry. STRIKE A BLOW FOR FREEDOM. Our battle is far from over, but sooner or later we aill win. Didn't get home until 10:30 last night so this old phart is tired today. EVERYONE should attend a session of their respective legislatures to see how these things can happen.
  9. SouthernMoss

Bravo, Gunfyter! We're proud of you for sticking it out and for making your voice heard. Every single one of us here on this board should be doing the same.

Keep up the fight.
  10. kravi

kravi New Member

Bravo Gunfyter indeed. As a fellow (if somewhat new) citizen of Maryland, I don't know whether to be amused or frightened by the gun control laws in this state. But I am quite happy that you spoke.

Bravo, from one turtle fan to another...

-Kravi
  11. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

Thank you sir!
  12. Gunfyter

Gunfyter New Member

Kravi, welcome to ya. As a lifelong citizen of the PRMD, I can tell you that our draconian laws are no laughing matter. We have a number of people who are in the mold of Senator Feinstein. Get involved, make noise. Not trying to switch loyalties, but there are a bunch of Maryland folks on The High Road.org. You can generally find me on that board or this one trying to charm SoMo.
    Marlin, you better watch your six. :D :D
  13. SouthernMoss

Gunfyter, you big ol' flirt! ;) :D
  14. Gunfyter

Gunfyter New Member

Yep, that's me. At my age, it's generally excused as harmless fun.
  15. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Not all of us are harmless, GF. :) :D :)

I not worried, however......