Off Topic Pooter Question.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AL MOUNT, Dec 29, 2011.

1. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT New Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    Firefox vs Exp 8 with Win 7

Your thoughts, pros & cons

Runnibg Xp on one pooter Win 7 on another
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  2. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

I had firefox once and it was a PITA but I also had dialup then and Firefox eats up a lot of memory. IE is too slow. I use Google Chrome. Safari is pretty good but uses a good bit of memory too but not as much as FF. I'm running windows 7.
  3. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

I use firefox and love it compared to Exploder. Google chrome is way faster than firefox, I just prefer firefox.
  4. dad2thebone

dad2thebone New Member

I use FF and its fast so i stay with it. and you cant beat windows 7
  5. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I run Firefox 8 on a Win7 desktop rig, Firefox 3.6xx on several WinXP laptops & desktops, and Firefox 3.6xx on Linux rigs.

Starting with Firefox 4, they got a memory hiccup in the code that they still haven't been able to completely fix. FF8 is much improved, but it still hogs up memory every now and then under certain situations...nowhere near as bad as 4 through 6 though. That's why I am still sticking with 3.6xx on the older and Linux machines.

IE8 or IE9 also lives on those rigs for the few websites that insist on Microsoft browsers...Windows Update for example.
    It's clunky, slow, and not very secure.
    IE9 is the better of the two versions...but I'm still far from impressed with it's performance.

The main reason why I like Firefox is all of the plug-ins available for it.
    #1 extension on my list is NoScript, which allows me to control what sites are trying to display on my browser. Think of it as a firewall for your browser. You'd be surprised how many different domains try to interact with your computer when you browse just a single site. With NoScript, you control what displays on your machine.
    FxIF for viewing photo EXIF info is #2 on my list.
    #3 is WorldIP. I mainly use it to watch for malicious website redirects (as used by some of the phishing idjits out there).
    #4 AVG SafeSearch.
    #5 PDF Download. this one is just a real slick way to download PDF files instead of having to open them first with Acrobrat Reader and then save them. I deal with a lot of PDF data sheets for work so this one is just plain handy to have.
    There are a few other miscellaneous ones that I've got but these are the ones that I consider must-haves for my browsing.

Chrome:
    I got tired of watching the version number click over like a stopwatch.
    They have a tough time keeping on top of security issues without moving to the next major revision number.
    If they keep this up, it'll be Chrome 5000 by the end of next year.
    It's a nice browser, but light on features.

For my Android browser, I use Dolphin HD.
    It's a little quirky but tons better than the built-in browser.
  6. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT New Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    Ton of info, thanks binder nut.
  7. thomas44

thomas44 New Member

Google Chrome. (doesn't that just pizz you off when someone recommends something that WASN't one of the choices ?) LOL
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  8. JohnBrainard

JohnBrainard New Member

Chrome or Firefox. Firefox has undergone some performance updates lately. It's not perfect, but I like its features better than Chrome's, particularly its syncing. Both browsers have it, but it's much easier to set up a device to sync with Firefox on your desktop.

Anything but Internet Explorer, please!
  9. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

IE 8 and 9 have more security holes in it that any other browser.

Firefox is like surfing the web in slow motion. It is a very secure browser but it is slow as all get out for me that is.

Opera is a fast browser but I find it very unstable myself.

I again use chrome because it is the safest fastest browser on the web.
  10. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

What about Cambells Pork and Beans vs Bushs Baked Beans with brown sugar.

That's good pooter fodder. :fart:
  11. Juker

Juker New Member

I use Firefox on Windows 7, and it's blazing fast. (750GB hard drive, 8GB RAM, quad processor.)
  12. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

I use win 7 on home & work computers, Firefox seems a little faster than IE 7 which is what I use instead of Explorer 8 or 9 because I worry about the tracking they do. Firefox for browsing seems better but won't do some work jobs as well such as stamps.com. Maybe it's the script thing that was mentioned.
  13. MichiganShootist

MichiganShootist New Member

I have a desk top with XP Pro running Goggle Chrome and it's very stable and fast.

My lap top came with Win. 7 and it's also very good. The only problem with Win.7 is that it doesn't support all software (even MiroSoft's) that worked with older op. systems. For example there is ZERO support for Outlook and Outlook Express in Win. 7. They force you to use their new e-mail system.:mad:
  14. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Slight correction to your post Michigan.

Yes, MS finally did away with Outlook Express (I think this happened in Vista already but I'm not sure). This is a good thing as Outlook Express was the most insecure and unconfigurable mail program out there and it was horribly outdated security-wise too.
    Not that I like Live Mail any better. I don't use it either.

But Outlook still functions just fine on Vista and Win7. I'm still stuck with using it for work communication. Outlook 2007 and 2010 versions here.
    They DID however drop support for older versions (OutlookXP...aka Outlook2002...and older). So yeah you've got to update versions to keep current with the operating system.
    Like with Outlook Express, this complete re-write was done to kill off old versions that were chock full of old code that was easily exploitable.

Both OE and the older versions of Outlook were initially written during the dawn of the public internet and they were long overdue for a complete code update...much like XP was a long-overdue and welcome complete departure from Win95/98/ME before it.

But being that Microsoft is every hacker's favorite target, even the new versions still have had plenty of security holes punched through them.
    That's not likely to change for quite a few years to come. There is just too much bad code writing and too many Microsoft-haters in the world for any MS product to be considered even remotely secure.
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  15. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

If you want a fast light weight mail client (Why I don't know with web based email anymore) look to mozilla for thunderbird. It is a good client if you just HAVE to have a client.

As for outlook express that was the single worst piece of software to every come out of Microsoft.
  16. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I use Firefox. It's not slow. Chrome is limited to few plug-ins. And FF is very safe. It'll dump LSO's, and that's way ahead of anybody else.

Below is a PM I sent to the admins of another gun site. many complaints there required me to send the PM. I did not receive a reply, and nothing there has changed. Use FF, and stay safe, and keep your identity to yourself. I also sent them a screen capture of the LSO, and the tracking cookies ( 6 ).

The PM below is a compilation of the images I kept when I sent it. You're not evcen allowed to tell someone how to use the settings to change the users resolution so they don't have to scroll to see a normal post. I don't get it, but it's their site.

NOTHING here identity's what site it is, that would be tacky on my part.
    USE Firefox, and kill those durn LSO's.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  17. Prizefighter

Prizefighter New Member

I've used Firefox for a long time now. I like addons that are available for it. I have three that I use on a daily basis. I tried Chrome, but it was too simplified for me , for lack of a better word, and I didn't notice much of a difference in speed.

As for Internet Explorer, I just left it behind a long time ago.

I'm comfortable with it now. Either Firefox will have to go down the tubes in a serious way, or someone else will have to come up with something leaps and bounds better.
  18. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Better Privacy and Ghostery ( at mozilla.org ).