The Firearms Forum banner

Offset smoker... Fish?

9K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Crpdeth 
#1 ·
Aite, my brothers of the BBQ!

The weather is starting to warm up a bit for us Southerners and that means outdoor cooking for a few of us here on the forums...

One thing I guess I've not cooked on the offset smoker, as of yet, is fish. What do you prefer? I'm thinking Salmon for starters.

Got any recipes/cook times/temps, etc?

TIA :)

Crpdeth

#2 · (Edited)
Red Snapper! Catfish filets! When I grill fish I try not to get too fancy, salt, and pepper, along with a drop, or two, of lemon juice, and butter. But I have been known to use some Tony Chachere's from time to time! Be real sure the fish don't stick to the grill! Sorry, I should have read your post better! I haven't used an off set smoker for anything yet! Still doing it the old fashioned way.

#4 ·
Thanks guys!

One thing I was worried about was the meat sticking, so I have been wondering if I should go with with foil, or what I really want to use is my pizza stone and coat it with cornmeal, keeping in mind that I use expanded metal for grates which works great for big hunks of meat, but I can foresee a problem with just tossing a piece of fish on it.

Crpdeth

#5 · (Edited)
Personally, I would think that you would ruin your pizza stone UNLESS you really enjoy the taste of fishy pizza. When I do fish, I simply wipe the grates with vegetable oil. You would also lose the flavor of grilled fish. The flavor from grilling is the oils in the foods vaporizing as they drop through onto the coals or heating elements if you use propane.

Also, I think that there are some Pam Products designed just for that use.

We're probably about a month away from firing up the Weber up here.

Enjoy your fish.

#7 · (Edited)
When I smoke fish I spray foil with Pam, lay the fish on the foil then poke holes in the foil. The Pam keeps it from sticking, and the holes lets the juice run through the foil. An offset smoker works best because fish needs to be cold smoked, but any smoker will work. Lots of ways to do it, and they all work.:)

While the fish is smoking, get the baby backs ready!

#8 · (Edited)
Hey Donny, If'ns us in the PNW know anything at all, it's smoked salmon.
My smoker is a big old freezer on a wheels connected to a stove pipe and then a fireplace insert on the ground. Alder wood is best for fish, I use brickets for heat and soaked Alder chips for smoke. Cut fish in 1 inch strips. soak the fish in brine for 6-8 hours (Glass or stainless pan)
6-8 cups cold water
1 C Mortorns Sugar cure
1 C Brown sugar
16 oz Kikkoman or Yoshida's Teriyaki Marinade
2 TBS garlic powder
2 caps liquid smoke
pepper

Rinse fish under cold water, pat dry, spray rack with Pam, arrange strips of fish (skin side down) on rack so not touching, sprinkle with more brown sugar and pepper, let stand for 2 hrs (glazed over), smoke till done

G
#9 ·
I've only done salmon, and I've done a lot of it.
Do not attempt to smoke sockeye (if ya can even get it). It has very little fat content and a flavor that is better on its own. Grill? By all means. No smoking. Many will disagree, but I live in salmon country. Same holds true for steelhead. The flesh is too tasty when done by other means. I'll go on record here and now; steelhead is the best fish in the world. Specially if you catch yer own.:D Get the cheapest fattiest salmon you can find. Chum and Humpies are the best. Coho is very good as is King, but the Kings are a tad spendy.

I do mine with a brine solution. It can be as simple as brown sugar and sea salt. Kosher salt is a fine substitute. Add any other ingredients you wish as the brine will overpower them. What you're left with is a hint of this or that. Adders might consist of:
Sweet onion
Dill
Peppercorn mix
Fresh ginger
Garlic

I make my brine and let the fish soak over night, maybe stirring a couple times. I don't worry about the grill so much. Scrub it and oil it. The alternative, which is a NW tradition, is using cedar planks. I've never understood the concept as I don't want my fish tasting like a fir tree.

Also, take care of what wood you use. Alder is the best, followed by pretty much any fruit wood. Apple and cherry are excellent, and peach is pretty good too. NO mesquite, and hickory is borderline.

On the day of the cook, pull the meat out and rinse it well. Let it sit for an least and hour to get to room temp. What you're looking for is a shiny, dryish, tacky sort of feel on the flesh. You'll know it when you get there.
And there's no need to worry about it drying out. That glaze seals everything in.

I like to do mine low and slow at an even temp throughout the smoke.
About 120 deg. Depending on the amount you smoke and the size of the cuts, it can take 2-3 hours. I have a Weber Smoky Mtn. and fill the pan with water. An offset is quite different obviously, but you're accustomed to it. I take a quick peek at the 1 hr mark to gauge my time. I also only do fillets. If ya wanna do big ole steaks, you'll have to adjust.

The hardest part is keeping yer mits off the stuff till it cools.:p

#13 ·
Thanks, Guys... I never expected so many responses, I guess it's safe to say that I have enough to go on now. :D

I'm gonna have a few irons in the fire (pun intended:D ) for awhile, but I'll try to give a sit-rep when I get done.

I just got a nice amount of habanero powder in... Wonder if that would ruin tha' dish. :D

Oh... Tim, thanks for the heads up regarding the pizza stone, I didn't even thinking about the juice ingraining it's self into the stone. See why I love this forum, ya saved me some dollars. :)

Crpdeth

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.