Oh Deer!

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by carver, Oct 31, 2011.

1. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    These guys are coming by the heard! They will eat a bag of corn per day, and they are even trying to eat the camera!

Attached Files:

2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

dadgum myles they ate your feeder dry.

Good lookin girls too. Especially the mature doe bringin up the rear keepin watch
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

fatten em up and i'll send ya me recipie for spicy venison cabinosi
  4. Chinook

Chinook New Member

Those are great lookin lady deer! Thats a lot of feed corn to be goin thru in a 24 hr. spread! Keep 'em fat 'n happy! That'll make you happy later on!
  5. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Looks like you need to thin them down...... Ought to be nice and tender....
  6. carver

carver Moderator

Gun season doesn't open untill the 5th of Nov., but I had a large buck out there at the feeder Sat, and would like to get a shot at him. No pictures! I had brought the camera in Fri evenging to down load the pics, and didn't put it back up that night. From what I could tell thru the glass in the front door, and with my tired old eyes, he was at least an 8 pointer, maybe more. One of my dogs spotted him about the same time I did, and started barking. That big boy headed for the woods right quick! Never had time to get my hands on the any of the guns by the front door. If he shows back up season will open early here!
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I know I cant wait. Jack and I are headn out tomorrow to make a few final preparations and set up the blinds, or at least get the spots ready for them. Top off feeders with horn corn and drop my mollasses blocks. Ill swap the SD cards again. Im planning on headn out the weekend of the 12 with Beck and the kiddos. Gonna have JR and Wes in the blind with me. Hope we kill somethin.
  8. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Carver,

Do you have any problems with water getting in that feeder and the corn rotting?

howlnmad
  9. carver

carver Moderator

Nope! But you got to drill a hole in the cap on the bottom!:D If you fail to make the hole in the bottom, it will hold water.
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

plus it doesnt look like the deer will leave corn in it long enough to rot..
  11. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Thanks. I was thinking that you probably had a screen or some sort of drain.
  12. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Great shots! I can feel that old feelin' creeping up.
  13. carver

carver Moderator

Well, I've had the camera up, and running, for about two weeks now, and I have 1,057 pictures on it! I finally got a picture of the big buck that's been hanging around, but he is really camera shy! I know that he is at least an eight pointer, but still trying to get a good shot of him, or at him! I had to reduce the picture to make it fit, but you can still see enough of his rack to know that he ain't no spike! I had two young doe in the scope this morning, but they kept looking back into the woods, so I held off on shooting one of them in hopes that what they were looking at was that big buck. He never showed, and the doe finally wondered off back into the woods.

Attached Files:

14. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Do you open for hunting, or is it private only?
  15. The Duke

The Duke New Member

Nice idea for a feeder, Carver.....Doesnt look squirrel proof though...:D I had some PVC bucket feeders out several years ago...Damn squirrels ate right through the plastic sides to get the corn..:mad:

Guess Im going to have to throw out some corn around the house this year. With the severe drougth, not a whole lot of green stuff to eat and the acorns are falling off without maturing.....Be a long Winter for them if they dont get some rations every now and then..
  16. carver

carver Moderator

I only have 7 acres, so it's private. I'm just lucky enough to live way out, while I don't own much land, ain't nothing much around me but woods.
  17. carver

carver Moderator

No such thing as squirrel proff! Those critters will get into anything! There are some teeth marks on it, if they don't find corn in it, they start hunting real hard! The way these deer are hitting me, I don't think there's anything for them to eat at all out there. They eat the corn, and then head down to the pond for a drink! Duke you can make these feeders from any diameter PVC, I just used 4" so I don't feed too much at a time. Make it as long as you want, the longer it is the more corn you can put in it. Bigger ones get expensive trying to keep corn in them. 4' of 4" PVC, two caps, and 1 Y. Glue the bottom cap on the bottom of the Y, and drill a 3/8" hole in it. The Y gets glued to the tube, and the cap on top just sits there. Take it off to fill the feeder. I drill a hole thru the top about 4" down, run a long peice of all thread through the hole, add nuts, and hang it with some swing set chain.
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  18. vytoland

vytoland New Member

the invasion has started
  19. coachwill

coachwill Forum Sponsor

We have been using those types of feeders for 25 years or so on my parents property. Really easy to work with and easy to fill. Now my dad just plants corn, soybeans and brown top millet and then goes out and cuts it down to "fertilize" the ground. It seems to work well in keeping the herd local to the 100 or so acres around the house.
  20. carver

carver Moderator

Got a sweet little 6 pointer hanging around now. The spike is still showing up too. They don't seem to be camera shy either!

Attached Files: