Oh Deer!

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by carver, Oct 31, 2011.

1. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I only have 7 acres, so it's private. I'm just lucky enough to live way out, while I don't own much land, ain't nothing much around me but woods.
  2. carver

carver Moderator

No such thing as squirrel proff! Those critters will get into anything! There are some teeth marks on it, if they don't find corn in it, they start hunting real hard! The way these deer are hitting me, I don't think there's anything for them to eat at all out there. They eat the corn, and then head down to the pond for a drink! Duke you can make these feeders from any diameter PVC, I just used 4" so I don't feed too much at a time. Make it as long as you want, the longer it is the more corn you can put in it. Bigger ones get expensive trying to keep corn in them. 4' of 4" PVC, two caps, and 1 Y. Glue the bottom cap on the bottom of the Y, and drill a 3/8" hole in it. The Y gets glued to the tube, and the cap on top just sits there. Take it off to fill the feeder. I drill a hole thru the top about 4" down, run a long peice of all thread through the hole, add nuts, and hang it with some swing set chain.
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  3. vytoland

vytoland New Member

the invasion has started
  4. coachwill

coachwill Forum Sponsor

We have been using those types of feeders for 25 years or so on my parents property. Really easy to work with and easy to fill. Now my dad just plants corn, soybeans and brown top millet and then goes out and cuts it down to "fertilize" the ground. It seems to work well in keeping the herd local to the 100 or so acres around the house.
  5. carver

carver Moderator

Got a sweet little 6 pointer hanging around now. The spike is still showing up too. They don't seem to be camera shy either!

Attached Files: