Oh no! Not at my range!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sig Willy, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Sig Willy

Sig Willy Member

http://www.ksat.com/news/Man-dies-at-San-Antonio-gun-range/-/478452/17318004/-/5epbs4z/-/index.html

SAN ANTONIO -

San Antonio police are investigating a shooting that left a 37-year-old man dead at a local gun range.

The shooting happened around 11:30 a.m. Wednesday at A Place to Shoot located in the 13000 block of Pleasanton Road.

San Antonio pPolice Sgt. George Antu said the victim died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head, but it was unclear if the man shot himself on purpose or if it was an accident.
  2. lead

lead Active Member

That is very tragic. Prayers for all those he left behind.
  3. stumpjumper

stumpjumper Member

seems we get a couple of them a year here in fl. if you think about it, life insurance won't cover suicide, but your heirs will make a bundle on suing the range for lax oversight
  4. Sig Willy

Sig Willy Member

It's tragic alright. The range just got out of a lawsuit.
  5. Sig Willy

Sig Willy Member

6. vonotterskull

vonotterskull New Member

Sad someone has to commit suicide at a gun range with a rented handgun. I've never been to A Place to Shoot, heard too many not so good things there. I'm a fan of Cedar Ridge. Good people, good rules, good times.
  7. Sig Willy

Sig Willy Member

A lot has changed since I was there in the 80s. It was open country at first with tables and wooden target stands. Today since I went back shooting two years ago it's fenced, stalls and concrete. It's heavily moderated with plenty of ROs on duty. It's a good range but strict.

No one saw this coming and I don't think anybody at any ranges will.
  8. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

It happened so many times at one of my ranges they won't rent guns if you go in by yourself. There is no way a range can put a stop this. Its sad but it happens.
  9. Slabsides

Slabsides Member

That happens alot more than you think. Google it. It happened at the range I instruct at a little more than a month ago. A man in his late 30's rented one of our guns and shot himself in the head. It was captured on video and it was no doubt intentional. The man, up to that point, appeared normal and calm, he shot several rounds at a paper target, took a break and did the deed. Sadly, it goes with the business. It's no different than someone driving to a bridge and jumping off of it....just a different method.
  10. Sig Willy

Sig Willy Member

There's one sad aspect to it, all suicide guns has a body on it. Who'd want those guns?

What does the ranges do with 'em? Let the cops take 'em away to destroy?
  11. Slabsides

Slabsides Member

The police held ours until the investigation was complete and returned it. I completetly disassembled, cleaned and inspected it (I'm a Glock Armorer) and it has been retired from service and removed from the range.
  12. Millwright

Millwright Well-Known Member

Why ? >MW
  13. Slabsides

Slabsides Member

Decision of the owner. I think because some people would be freaked out by it. I can understand that and respect his decision.
  14. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Member

Suicides are always sad and leave many wondering.
    I built and owned the indoor ranage in Mesa Az in 88 and sold in 2009.
    In those years I had five of them including the first two, were 22 year old kids, boy and girl from England. Her dad was the minister of defense. They stood side by side and stuck the guns in their mouths and pulled the triggers.
    No one saw it coming and no one could have done a thing to prevent.
    All others were older, single adults and placed themselves in a manner and position that no one could intervene.
    I picked up the pieces of all of them and dealt with families and police.
    I was never sued and the people who shot there all the years were always the most supportive and the first on the phone to make sure everyone at the range was safe.
    It WILL happen and it CANNOT be stopped no matter what rules or regulations are in place.
    Period.
    Sad but true.

UF