1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

oil filter silencer BATFE registered

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms & Related Items' started by jack404, Jun 3, 2012.

1. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

2. armoredman

armoredman New Member

Needs a high sighting system, or it's rough aim and hope.
    Interesting though.
  3. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Neat concept...
  4. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

interesting. wonder how it sounds on a subgun using subsonic ammo... neat lil adapter.
  5. time2shoot

time2shoot Well-Known Member

hhhhmmmmmmm.
  6. 883n

883n Former Guest

I read elsewhere that the oil filter is treated by the BATFE as a wipe in that it can be replaced when shot out. If this is true, then a person can replace the filter when it wears out unlike baffles on a real quality silencer.

I would have liked to see accuracy tests though. I bet accuracy sucked with the bullets touching the innards of the filter. I have shot a revolver and a semi-auto with the silencer blocking the sights, it really degrades accuracy past ten yards.

7. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

This is all fine and dandy until some one tries to use a used filter and catches it on fire and burns up their plastic gun.

Why would you want a quiet gun if you couldn't shoot anyways?
  8. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

pest control without disturbing your neighbours as in NZ , polite folks them kiwi's dont want to disturb your sleep in by blasting some bunnies so suppressors are allowed and in many places expected..
  9. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Health and safety over here got supressors approved. The people keeping deer, foxes and rabbits under control are in danger of loosing their hearing if exposed to too many loud bangs.

Nice concept. Just how thin can an oil filter be?
  10. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

from memory most have to take a pulse of 100 PSI for so long and dissapate it back via the filtered section ( the multiple outer holes in the base )

i was surprised what they take as they use em for hydraulic filters as well ..
  11. soundguy

since they are shooting thru the center.. on mst filters.. it's really not touching anything.

i'd get one with no drainback valve, and with a conventional plete media vs a floss media.. but otherwise it's an open cavity down the center and then the can top.. occasionally there is a single baffle of metal at the top from the media cap.. that would just serve to act like an extra metal wipe... that and the exit wound inthe can itself.

I imagine those long fuel and hyd filters work best. no ADB to deal with, and a longer baffle and air space.

almost neat enough to get one.. if i neede dit and had the 300$ laying around.. :)
  12. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    All they are registering is the adapter. You can replace the oil filter anytime. I saw them and wondered the same thing as to teh filter. I have sent my NFA truct, form 4 and my $200 to the BATFE for my suppressor i bought but my next one will be a multi caliber made myself on a form 1. It will in part be as teh oli filter deal but will have a smaller metal outer tube tat I change the insides out to meet the caliber. Several companies are making the multi-caliber ones already.
    The BATFE has gotten to a point if you can sctratch number on a PVC pipe, send in a form 1 and form 4 along with $200 they will issue you the stamp. Must have to pay for the "Fast & Furious" mess I reckon.
  13. soundguy

that's a good thing.

they shouldn't be inthe business of telling people they can't own a certain number of things.

if it meets the rules. is serialized and registered.. it should be good to go.

the fewer rights they abridge.. the better..
  14. Grizz

Grizz Active Member

I wonder how many rounds of .22lr you can put through an oil filter before it no longer quiets good? This is a really cool idea if you can find some skinny oil filters and have $300 laying around
  15. 883n

883n Former Guest

The BATFE says that a silencer part by itself it a silencer. You can not have extra baffles or other parts layng around, nor can you make replacement bafffles for your form 1 silencer unless you pay another $200 tax.

What companies are making these multi-caliber silencers? Surely they are not supplying the buyer with multiple internals?