oil filter silencer BATFE registered

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms & Related Items' started by jack404, Jun 3, 2012.

1. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i'm surprised.. since things like tac-trigger and hellfire are legal... all it is is a tribber pusher.. al the shoestring is is a trigger pusher..
  2. armoredman

armoredman New Member

The idea would work if you had a high sighting system, like some of the high rails C-More sells with sights. My SA vz-58 5.56mm would work with this mount,

[​IMG]

But of course the supersonic crack would negate the effectiveness for much.
  3. soundguy

yep.. i have a few rifles with scope mounts that are setup to allow you to use the built in iron sights.. plus the scope.. (see thru mount).. very likely that they set high enough to see over a medium diameter filtercan..e tc.

again.. supersonic...

might be ok on a highpoint carbine in 45acp with a tac rail site.. or the 9mm version using sub ammo..

soundguy
  4. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    Actually they are registering the tube. You can have replacement baffle material as well as other parts as long as they are not assembled into anything except the registered outer tube. They have done a LOT of reviewing as to the regulations especially with so many companies coming out with LOTS of different varients of suppressers. So you can have a registered tube with a different caliber adapters and/or extensions/sleeves. Like I said, they have relaxed a LOT on the rules, a WHOLE lot.

Here is a design to look at, in testing as of the video but now has been perfected. It is a multicaliber with roatating baffles.
  5. 883n

883n Former Guest

How is this "they" you are referring to? I do not see a link posted.

I am familiar with people who use various sized mounts to put the same silencer on different caliber firearms. But this is not the same as changing out baffles to ones that have a different bore. A good example is a 30 caliber rifle silencer used on a .308 winchester and a 223 remington. The typical thread size for the 308 is 5/8-24 and 1/2-28 for the 223, one silencer, two adaptors. Since the adaptors are not a silencer part (yet), they can be purchased without controls and used to mount the silencer on different rifles.

I would like to see a link to the BATFE's change in regulations. If there had been much relaxing of these regulations then you can bet there would be much discussion and rejoicing in the NFA firearms owner's world. But I have seen nothing about multiple caliber silencers with more than one set of baffles registered on one tax stamp.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  6. soundguy

i see articles as far back as 2008 for SWR Spectre Multi Caliber Suppressor, and looks like in 2009 these people make 2 supressors that are listed as suitable for multi caliber use, and include take down tools..e tc.. etc..

http://www.thompsonmachine.net/?page_id=99
  7. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    Exactly. The BATFE has relaxed a lot on suppressors. used to be they had to be welded shut, no cleaning, no replacing baffling material, and on and on. Now it has become a more open field per say. the idea of a multi caliber suppressor appeals to many. Most cannot afford $200 for each caliber they want so it was only logicial to go to a multicaliber. As a buddy whom is a class III dealer stated, the BATFE has gotten so if you can put numbers permently on a PVC pipe, form 1 it, form 4 it, and pay the $200; then they could approve it! The adapter for the oil filter is another example. You are paying $200 tax for an adapter, not the oil filter being it is replacable. Now if they are allowing an adapter as a NFA decise, then they have relaxed a whole lot on regulation as to supressors.
  8. 883n

883n Former Guest

When they say it is for multi caliber use, it means in this case the bore is large enough for the 9mm, strong enough for the 300 blackout and can be taken to clean after using with dirty cartridges like the 22lr. Nowhere in that link does it say they have multiple sets of baffles.

This can is wide enough to cover the sights on many 22lr pistols and some 9mm pistols. I'm sure it works very well as far as suppression goes as it has lots more volume than the typical 22lr silencer and nearly as much as some 30 caliber silencers.

The silencer in your link is a good choice for a person who is on a budget and does not need the peak performance expected from a silencer dedicated to a specific cartridge. I have seen 9mm cans used on 22lr guns, they worked nearly as well and were perfectly acceptable as long as the gun used was not something small like the P-22. But on scoped pistols and rifles they are good enough.

9. 883n

883n Former Guest

I have never read any federal law, rule or regulation that prohibited take apart silencers registered on one tax stamp. As far as I know the BATFE is getting stricter as time goes by, not more lenient. If anyone has a link to any recent (in the last 10 years) law or ruling that makes things easier for us, please post it.

The BATFE has always been willing to register anything as a silencer no matter what it was made of. As long as the forms will filled out correctly they would approve them. No form 1 builder should have ever been required to send in plans or specifications other than the caliber and length listed in blcok form of the ATF form 1. The length block was usually filled in as "not applicable" by many form 1 builders until the BATFE started telling us to specify a length.

10. soundguy

seems like a new wipe is all that is needed to make it truly multi caliber..
  11. 883n

883n Former Guest

A new wipe would do this. But I would never use a wipe silencer on a firearm that was expected to hit a small target more than 25 yards away. Most people using 22lr and 300 blk rifles want to be able to hit targets at 100-200 yards away.

12. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

in Ct. you have to apply to get a silencer i think it is 200 or 300
  13. 883n

883n Former Guest

Federal law states that anyone who makes, buys or sells a silencer has to pay a $200 tax to the US Treasury prior to doing so unless they are licensed to do it as a business (FFL/SOT), transfer to the government, police or a museum on an ATF form 5, inherit on an ATF form 5 or make it for a government agency.

CT law actually states in part;
    CT does not require the payment of any other fee to transfer or make a silencer.

Ranb
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  14. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

What you just said - "Federal law states that anyone who makes, buys or sells a silencer has to pay a $200 tax" - is wrong. If I make one, then I have to pay a tax. If I buy one, then I have to pay a tax. But I don't pay a tax for selling one. If your statement was true, there would be 400 dollars in taxes on every transfer - the 200 I pay to buy it and the 200 you pay to sell it. One 200 dollars tax on the transfer. Government don't care who pays it - the buyer or the seller - but there is just one 200 dollar tax.
  15. 883n

883n Former Guest

Opps, I mis-typed. It would have been better to say transfers instead of buy/sell. Thanks.

The law says;
    The law says that the seller pays the tax, but I am told that the dealers normally have the buyers write the check so they can send it in with the application.

I guess I am better off quoting the law instead of trying to remember what it says. :)

16. soundguy

depends on what you consider small.

I've used an extremely inacurate sub-bullet hose with a wipe type and can hit 8.5x11 paper targets at 50yds in sa mode... using SS ammo no less...

as stated in another thread. most accuracy issues aside from a errant foul ball thrower, is the result of the person pulling the trigger...

soundguy
  17. sharpie443

sharpie443 New Member

The funny part about this post is I'm the one who shot that video. I'm Eric with ASA "American specialty ammo" and that is our econo can suppressor. Works great just don't use it in an AR-15. We found out that they suck air and draw the material in the suppressor(oil can) back into the gun. It's works much better on an AK platform. We have even run a .308 with one on it but the oil can doesn't last very long with the .308.
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  18. 883n

883n Former Guest

How does that setup affect accuracy? Does adding water or oil to the filter reduce noise like any other can shot wet? What is the life of the filter? Have you been able to shoot it by an appropriate noise meter to see how effective it is? Thanks.

19. soundguy

that'd be neat.. use a Db meter to test it! sounds like something up my alley!
  20. 883n

883n Former Guest

A cheap noise meter and microphone do not do a good job of accurately determining levels from short duration noises like gun shots. A meter/microphone combo needs to have no more than a 20 micro-second response time according to the experts. Otherwise you end up getting low levels like 80 to 100 decibels when is it obviously louder than that. This kind of setup is about $4000 and up. :(

http://www.elcaudio.com/decibel.htm
    http://www.silencertests.com/results.htm
    http://silencertalk.com/2209-method.htm

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012