oil filter silencer BATFE registered

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms & Related Items' started by jack404, Jun 3, 2012.

1. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

there obviously seems to be a departure from the bondage and discipline 'any part of a silencer is a silencer' if the only part being registered is a thread adapter cap that any handy person could turn out in his backyard machine shop with a 5$ engine part and a welder and any of a number of sources for a matching bbl thread from homegrown to a cut up 30$ bbl extension...all it does is adapts the barrell threads to standard oil filter threads.

obviusly the atf must be treating the oil filter as some disposable product.. and not part of the supressor itself.

reminds me of when the atf finally decided a shoe string wasn't a machine gun...
  2. soundguy

since the projectile is only touching the very end cap of the filter, or perhaps a media cap and end cap of the filter.. then those 2 pieces are acting like wipes. since both metal, once enough 22lr goes out, there will be a thousandths clearance on all sides and no more metal touching metal before long, and you will have mor eor less a slightly louder 'metal wipe' supressor I'd expect the initiol shots to be quietist till the metal exit wounds wear till they are a fraction larger than the projectile, and from then on.. it gets a hair louder, adn really doesn't change much past that. it's not liek the holes will get any bigger with nothing touching them.. and the inside of the filter itself is not having contact with the projectile assuming you use a filter with a hollow core and no DBV. i bet a person could nit a napa and dig thru the shelves and find a small form factor oil fitler that would not block a good peep site or holo site setup.
  3. 883n

883n Former Guest

I have read on other websites that the ATF says wipes are a dispoable part and can be replaced as long as the original ones are destroyed first. It appears that the ATF is saying that a oil filter is a same kind of thing as a wipe.

The oil filter as a silencer idea still still leaves something to be desired though. It is heavy, bulky and will block the sights on most firearms equipped with sights. I'm sure there is a good reason why the guys in that video did not do an accuracy demo, it probably ruins accuracy.

When did that happen? I have a few semi-autos and plenty of string at home.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  4. soundguy

do a google searc on shoestring machinegun..

basically guys were taking thumbhole stocked ak, sks, mak 90 type guns. you tie the shoestring to that big bolt handle on the right, run it thru the thumbhole stock, out hte left side then thru the left side of the trigger guard, in front of the trigger, out the right side of the trigger guard, and then upwards a bit where you hold tension on it with your right hand.. you end up kinda palming the butstock with the heel of your right hand whilst holdingthe shoestring between thumb and pointer finger, wedging the butstock into shoulder, and possibly laying head neck into it to peer downthe iron sites doing so, with left hand supporting forestock as normal.

chamber a round before any tension on shoestring..

start taking up tension on the shoestring by bending thumb/finger. you eventually hit that magic spot where there is enough tension to trip the trigger, gun fires, bolt blows open.. when it does, spent is ejected, shoestring relaxes, trigger resets, then bolt starts going home, chambers a new round, and as bolt goes into battery, tension comes up on the shoestring you are holding and if you kept tension up, she fires again.. and keeps doing this untill you run out of ammo, jamb, bolt holds open or you release tension.

lots of variables.. obviously you need something that firest from a closed bolt, and has a compatible shaped but stock, and you need a gun that can fire with it being slightly out of battery... like a loose sks ak rifle. ie.. it is tripping the trigger as bolt goes into battery..

there wasa big hub-bub about it and lots of discussion on registering shoestrings :) and last I heard atf finally decided that a showstring wasn't a machinegun. I guess it works the same way as a tribber palpitator.. 1 shot expended for each time the triger is tripped.. reminds me of similar thinking of a galin setup. ie, it's legal if you use a mechanical hand crank, but it's illegal if you use a power drill on it instead of a mechanical hand crank.

here's the ruling where atf decided a 14" shoestring was a machine gun in 04

later in 07 they decided it was only a machinegun it it was installed on a SA rifle.. :)

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/2010/01/25/shoestring-machine-gun/

:)

soundguy
  5. 883n

883n Former Guest

I was aware of the "string is a MG" letter, but had not heard of any change of heart by the BATFE. Too bad the string is still a MG when attached to a semi-auto rifle. :(

6. soundguy

i'm surprised.. since things like tac-trigger and hellfire are legal... all it is is a tribber pusher.. al the shoestring is is a trigger pusher..
  7. armoredman

armoredman New Member

The idea would work if you had a high sighting system, like some of the high rails C-More sells with sights. My SA vz-58 5.56mm would work with this mount,

[​IMG]

But of course the supersonic crack would negate the effectiveness for much.
  8. soundguy

yep.. i have a few rifles with scope mounts that are setup to allow you to use the built in iron sights.. plus the scope.. (see thru mount).. very likely that they set high enough to see over a medium diameter filtercan..e tc.

again.. supersonic...

might be ok on a highpoint carbine in 45acp with a tac rail site.. or the 9mm version using sub ammo..

soundguy
  9. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    Actually they are registering the tube. You can have replacement baffle material as well as other parts as long as they are not assembled into anything except the registered outer tube. They have done a LOT of reviewing as to the regulations especially with so many companies coming out with LOTS of different varients of suppressers. So you can have a registered tube with a different caliber adapters and/or extensions/sleeves. Like I said, they have relaxed a LOT on the rules, a WHOLE lot.

Here is a design to look at, in testing as of the video but now has been perfected. It is a multicaliber with roatating baffles.
  10. 883n

883n Former Guest

How is this "they" you are referring to? I do not see a link posted.

I am familiar with people who use various sized mounts to put the same silencer on different caliber firearms. But this is not the same as changing out baffles to ones that have a different bore. A good example is a 30 caliber rifle silencer used on a .308 winchester and a 223 remington. The typical thread size for the 308 is 5/8-24 and 1/2-28 for the 223, one silencer, two adaptors. Since the adaptors are not a silencer part (yet), they can be purchased without controls and used to mount the silencer on different rifles.

I would like to see a link to the BATFE's change in regulations. If there had been much relaxing of these regulations then you can bet there would be much discussion and rejoicing in the NFA firearms owner's world. But I have seen nothing about multiple caliber silencers with more than one set of baffles registered on one tax stamp.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  11. soundguy

i see articles as far back as 2008 for SWR Spectre Multi Caliber Suppressor, and looks like in 2009 these people make 2 supressors that are listed as suitable for multi caliber use, and include take down tools..e tc.. etc..

http://www.thompsonmachine.net/?page_id=99
  12. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    Exactly. The BATFE has relaxed a lot on suppressors. used to be they had to be welded shut, no cleaning, no replacing baffling material, and on and on. Now it has become a more open field per say. the idea of a multi caliber suppressor appeals to many. Most cannot afford $200 for each caliber they want so it was only logicial to go to a multicaliber. As a buddy whom is a class III dealer stated, the BATFE has gotten so if you can put numbers permently on a PVC pipe, form 1 it, form 4 it, and pay the $200; then they could approve it! The adapter for the oil filter is another example. You are paying $200 tax for an adapter, not the oil filter being it is replacable. Now if they are allowing an adapter as a NFA decise, then they have relaxed a whole lot on regulation as to supressors.
  13. 883n

883n Former Guest

When they say it is for multi caliber use, it means in this case the bore is large enough for the 9mm, strong enough for the 300 blackout and can be taken to clean after using with dirty cartridges like the 22lr. Nowhere in that link does it say they have multiple sets of baffles.

This can is wide enough to cover the sights on many 22lr pistols and some 9mm pistols. I'm sure it works very well as far as suppression goes as it has lots more volume than the typical 22lr silencer and nearly as much as some 30 caliber silencers.

The silencer in your link is a good choice for a person who is on a budget and does not need the peak performance expected from a silencer dedicated to a specific cartridge. I have seen 9mm cans used on 22lr guns, they worked nearly as well and were perfectly acceptable as long as the gun used was not something small like the P-22. But on scoped pistols and rifles they are good enough.

14. 883n

883n Former Guest

I have never read any federal law, rule or regulation that prohibited take apart silencers registered on one tax stamp. As far as I know the BATFE is getting stricter as time goes by, not more lenient. If anyone has a link to any recent (in the last 10 years) law or ruling that makes things easier for us, please post it.

The BATFE has always been willing to register anything as a silencer no matter what it was made of. As long as the forms will filled out correctly they would approve them. No form 1 builder should have ever been required to send in plans or specifications other than the caliber and length listed in blcok form of the ATF form 1. The length block was usually filled in as "not applicable" by many form 1 builders until the BATFE started telling us to specify a length.

15. soundguy

seems like a new wipe is all that is needed to make it truly multi caliber..