1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

oil filter silencer BATFE registered

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms & Related Items' started by jack404, Jun 3, 2012.

1. 883n

883n Former Guest

A new wipe would do this. But I would never use a wipe silencer on a firearm that was expected to hit a small target more than 25 yards away. Most people using 22lr and 300 blk rifles want to be able to hit targets at 100-200 yards away.

2. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

in Ct. you have to apply to get a silencer i think it is 200 or 300
  3. 883n

883n Former Guest

Federal law states that anyone who makes, buys or sells a silencer has to pay a $200 tax to the US Treasury prior to doing so unless they are licensed to do it as a business (FFL/SOT), transfer to the government, police or a museum on an ATF form 5, inherit on an ATF form 5 or make it for a government agency.

CT law actually states in part;
    CT does not require the payment of any other fee to transfer or make a silencer.

Ranb
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

What you just said - "Federal law states that anyone who makes, buys or sells a silencer has to pay a $200 tax" - is wrong. If I make one, then I have to pay a tax. If I buy one, then I have to pay a tax. But I don't pay a tax for selling one. If your statement was true, there would be 400 dollars in taxes on every transfer - the 200 I pay to buy it and the 200 you pay to sell it. One 200 dollars tax on the transfer. Government don't care who pays it - the buyer or the seller - but there is just one 200 dollar tax.
  5. 883n

883n Former Guest

Opps, I mis-typed. It would have been better to say transfers instead of buy/sell. Thanks.

The law says;
    The law says that the seller pays the tax, but I am told that the dealers normally have the buyers write the check so they can send it in with the application.

I guess I am better off quoting the law instead of trying to remember what it says. :)

6. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

depends on what you consider small.

I've used an extremely inacurate sub-bullet hose with a wipe type and can hit 8.5x11 paper targets at 50yds in sa mode... using SS ammo no less...

as stated in another thread. most accuracy issues aside from a errant foul ball thrower, is the result of the person pulling the trigger...

soundguy
  7. sharpie443

sharpie443 New Member

The funny part about this post is I'm the one who shot that video. I'm Eric with ASA "American specialty ammo" and that is our econo can suppressor. Works great just don't use it in an AR-15. We found out that they suck air and draw the material in the suppressor(oil can) back into the gun. It's works much better on an AK platform. We have even run a .308 with one on it but the oil can doesn't last very long with the .308.
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  8. 883n

883n Former Guest

How does that setup affect accuracy? Does adding water or oil to the filter reduce noise like any other can shot wet? What is the life of the filter? Have you been able to shoot it by an appropriate noise meter to see how effective it is? Thanks.

9. soundguy

that'd be neat.. use a Db meter to test it! sounds like something up my alley!
  10. 883n

883n Former Guest

A cheap noise meter and microphone do not do a good job of accurately determining levels from short duration noises like gun shots. A meter/microphone combo needs to have no more than a 20 micro-second response time according to the experts. Otherwise you end up getting low levels like 80 to 100 decibels when is it obviously louder than that. This kind of setup is about $4000 and up. :(

http://www.elcaudio.com/decibel.htm
    http://www.silencertests.com/results.htm
    http://silencertalk.com/2209-method.htm

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  11. soundguy

i work around hundreds of thousands of dollars of pro audio gear for work purposes.. including real time anylizers, reference quality mics and nois gens and signal db meters with graphing and computer store capability.

it's no big deal. you can't use a 30$ analog swinging needle job, or the app on an iphone.. but there are plenty of ways to do it right.. especially with a meter tha has different weightings and speed sampling rates.
  12. sharpie443

sharpie443 New Member

I've been told It will affect accuracy at range but within 100 yards (.223) you should be fine and if your shooting subsonic that's about all you would be doing anyway. It's really only the first shot that is affected all that much and that's just because it's punching threw the oil can. From what I've seen it doesn't do much to the accuracy.

I wouldn't recommend shooting it wet just because the martial in the filter will absorb the water and I have no idea what that would do besides make it heavy. We actually have never tested that.

The life of the filter depends on what you are shooting out of it. With a .22lr you can shoot it all day. With a .223 you might get a hundred shots out of it but It's made and sold to be used with a .22lr. Having said that we beat the heck out of them. We have put on on an RPD before. it only survived one belt of 7.62 but it worked good. We also run them on our full auto guns but I don't recommend it. We just do it because we can and we get bored at the range.

If you have any other questions feel free to call us or send an e-mail. Chris Reed the owner would be happy to talk to you.
  13. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i reckon the things great ..

i had a full Sionics kit done on a Mac , that was $3000 back then ( 82?)

and they had to be emptied and repacked every 500 rounds , but make it 300 and you wont get a surprise when its starts to roar ...

or this, a few bills for the unit , $9 a can , for 50 rounds of .223 or a heap of .22 lr

just as a can this is way cheaper and way shorter than most cans i say hats off to whoever invented it
  14. sharpie443

sharpie443 New Member

That would be Tom coal with cadiz gun works. He is a darn good gunsmith and Chris Reed owner of ASA works with him a lot. We sell his Adapters but he is the one who makes them.
  15. Grizz

Grizz Active Member

do your adapters thread onto all oil filters or only certain ones?