OK Bob and others, help me understand my new best rifle....

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 3, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (6/22/01 10:38:49 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All OK Bob and others, help me understand my new best rifle....
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Got my 1917 Sestroyesky M91 from Bob today, my first 91, and my first Finn.

Help me figure it out, I'm pretty good with the straight Russky MNs, BUT...

(1) How is the handguard attached? Pinned? Don't want to crack it or anything, haven't stripped it yet.

(2) What are the rear sights graduated in, surely not Arshini.

(3) Why does it appear the muzzle ID is larger than my 91/30s? Is it a false muzzle?

(4) Is it a rebarreled rework? I've read that Finn barrels may slug at .308/.309, while most Ruskies are like .311.
    -Can I shoot my Russian or Albanian X54 through it OK?

(5) Why doesn't the knob end of the cleaning rod fit in the bore from the breech, and only go in about 1 1/2" and stop from the muzzle? (See # 3)

(6) When would it have been refinished, it's almost too good to be original Finn Arsenal Redo, would they have been stored in reserve? When do you think it was probably captured, after WWI or during the civil war?

(7) Anything else you can tell me about it I'd appreciate. Gosh is it B'oofull. I'm caressing it as I speak, don't tell anybody...

Bob In St Louis
    (6/23/01 10:48:05 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: OK Bob and others, help me understand my new best rifle.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    OK, lets see - a lot of the handgaurds are held on by spring steel hooks - I don't remember this particular one - but it may just pry off. The muzzle may have been counter board. I don't know about the cleaning rod ???? strange. I don't think it is a rebarrel, but it is likely the Finns reblued it. Did I miss anything? If you think this rifle is in good condition, you should have seen the ones you let get away (I just thought I would get that jib in!).
    Support the Dead Party, vote Harry S. Truman for Missouri Senate in 2002!

polishshooter
    (6/24/01 10:28:41 am)
    Bob, have you shot this one? I can't wait, it may have to give my 4th salute this year...unless I can recruit my son and a couple of neighbors to give a three volley salute with my 44s...THAT might be cool!

IS the 08 Tula SA also, that one's next I think, after I get my Romanian 44 out of the way...

Bob In St Louis
    (6/24/01 11:32:32 am)
    No - I never fired the Sestroyetski. I believe all the M91s I had were filtered through the Fins - I will need to look to make sure, but I am fairly certain there is a SA mark somewhere on it. Now, I must tell you that you got the M91 that was in best condition in what I have left - the others are not quite as good of condition.

polishshooter
    (6/26/01 7:42:37 pm)
    OK, stayed up late last night with Tuco's Finnish site in one hand, the rifle in the other, juggling a magnifying glass.

First, is the little bitty crown on the reciever flat a Russian or Finnish Marking? There's a tiny little marking right under it thats EITHER "IIK" or "TIK." It's away from the Russian Arsenal markings and Falcon which is on the barrel shank.

COULD that be a "Tikka" mark?

Second, there is a little doohickey stamp right above and to the left, touching the "SA" marking that looks like a "B" on it's side. That's not a Belgian "B" is it?

I didn't know that 91s were Finnish first line issue until 1988!!! Gosh, when everyone else is rockn and rolling with mouse guns....

Bob In St Louis
    (6/26/01 8:05:00 pm)
    I believe the crown and cyrilic marking under that is the Czarist arsenal proof mark. I am not certain about the lazy B mark, but that is not a Belgian barrel. The mark may be another cyrilic mark, or else it spent some time on the Bush ranch in Texas.

polishshooter
    (6/26/01 8:20:12 pm)
    Yeah, after I posted I realized that was pretty Polish of me...How in the heck could a Belgian barrel end up stamped Sestroyeski??? Shoulda figured that one out...

Is the only Finnish marking/difference then the SA and the Finnish stock?

Bob In St Louis
    (6/26/01 8:29:15 pm)
    Most of the captured Russian rifles that are unaltered (metal that is) normally just have the SA acceptance stamp. If the stocks are in bad shape, the wood gets replaced. I have seen some Finn stocks that have the Russian sling hardware inletted into them and the Russian buttplates - the Finns were thrifty and reused everything they could.