Ok guys give me some advice IPSC

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by field, Sep 19, 2009.

1. field

field New Member

shooting IPSC with 9mm should i do production or limited minor division? im really on the fence about this, people tell me different things. which division should i really work on to help me get good?
  2. pickenup

pickenup New Member

Handgun Divisions
    Open
    Standard
    Modified
    Production
    Revolver Standard

Limited?

Is your handgun on the "Production" list?
  3. field

field New Member

4. muddober

muddober Active Member

With all due respect I do not understand post like this. You already have people telling you "different things" what other than that do you expect here?

Ron
  5. field

field New Member

lol yeah your right. i kind of think in my mind that production is the right thing for me to do but you understand it feels good to ask other people thier oppinion sometimes
  6. muddober

muddober Active Member

I guess from where I sit I didn't understand you because you didn't say what your goal is. Also when I was shooting IPSC as I recall we only had three shooter classes, A, B, and C and there was no such thing as a gun class not even for the revolver guys. That was about 1976 or 1977.

Ron
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  7. field

field New Member

what do you think my goal would be? to get good and attain a high classification,
  8. muddober

muddober Active Member

Now perhaps it is me who is not being specific enough. I understand that you want to be good but good at what? When I was shooting IPSC as I stated there wasn't a gun classification only a shooter one. I shot IPSC to be as good as I could be with my carry gun and I had no interest in the competition per say. I looked at my gun as a tool to protect me and not as a tool to compete. Your post to me is asking an opinion of others should I shoot a production gun? This to me would mean a working gun as opposed to a competition type gun (minor limited). I must admit I don't know what minor limited gun is but it doesn't sound like a working gun to me. To put it in other words I saw your post more like I have been thinking about buying a pickup truck or a car and I have been getting many different opinions. My answer though not nearly as protracted that this has become. What is your goal? Meaning what are you going to be most likely hauling, people or just stuff. Right, wrong, or indifferent that is an analogy of how I saw your post and if I offended you I sincerely apologize.

Ron
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  9. pickenup

pickenup New Member

If your goal is to become a Grand Master........
    The only way to "get good" is to practice A LOT, and shoot the matches.

You can do this in ANY division.

Have you shot a match yet?
    Are you classified yet?
    Are you a USPSA member?
  10. field

field New Member

im a uspsa member, counting today ive done 6 matches, 4 of the matches i did Limited minor and then 2 of them i shot production. im probably going to stick with production.

yes my main goal here is to win stuff and get a high placing, and for people to think i am cool.
  11. pickenup

pickenup New Member

Some people (IF they are good enough) move up the ladder.
    Some end up looking like a fool.

I have seen both kinds.
  12. rundownfid

rundownfid New Member

If you are shooting a stock production gun shot production. New shooters have plenty to learn without trying to get into buying new gear. Learn to shoot the gun you have and then, having been to many matches, you will know enough to decide if you want to spend the money on a race gun of some sort.
  13. field

field New Member

14. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

I'd stick w/ production. All 9mm is scored Minor. Unless you shoot nothing but A's, then there is no sense in shooting Limited/Limited 10-Minor. Your Vids are pretty good. You move well.
  15. muddober

muddober Active Member

field: I watched your video and I was impressed. You seem to have a great command of your gun and the targets. Also it appears you are shooting a stock production gun and the only thing I would suggest is go to a 45 auto and those falling targets will fall much better.

I am much more impressed watching a guy shoot a working type gun well, as opposed to any race gun no matter how good the guy shoots it.

Not taking anything away from you the only thing that I would question is perhaps your loads, they seem to be very light based on how your gun is recoiling, but then again I don't shoot a 9mm.

Ron
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  16. BillM

BillM Active Member

OK--it appears you are shooting USPSA--not IPSC. Correct? They are not
    the same--different equipment rules etc.

Shoot your 9 in Production. Limited minor is fun, and you can get around
    23 rounds in a 140mm mag--but the 40's are going to eat you up
    eventually. Once in a while I'll use my Open gun short mags with my
    G17 in Limited, but just for giggles.

If you reload, a Glock 35 will get you competitive in several divisions.
    Load minor for production, major will get you into L10 and Limited, and
    with the right parts you can even be competitive in Open. I made
    B in Production, Limited and Open with the same G35.

Bill
    TY46179
  17. TTUshooter

TTUshooter New Member

I shoot production. with my glock 17.

Edit: in USPSA