Ok how about THIS one U.S. R. Johnson Horse Pistol

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by OneFatCat, Apr 11, 2011.

1. OneFatCat

OneFatCat New Member

Ok I sold the old musket I bought at auction and bought this R. Johnson Horse Pistol dated 1844 and it is a model 1836 I beleive ...tell me what you guy's think about the pistol in general, any history you might like to share and a value if you have any idea.. give me your best shot LOL.

OFC

[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
  2. Gabob

Gabob Active Member

Nice pistol. Looks like a flintlock converted to percussion. Have no idea about value but someone will be along who will know
  3. hrf

hrf Active Member

Page 331, #6A-035 in current Flayderman's Guide, value range Good Condition $500 to Fine Condition $1000
  4. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

hope you didn't lose your butt on the musket.
  5. OneFatCat

OneFatCat New Member

Thanks Brisk ..I broke about even on the musket ...as for this pistol I just thought it was neat and clean.. I would think the condition is better then "good" but Im not sure about "fine" ...I most likely gave to much for it to but I did not buy it to resale for a profit just to enjoy ....
    OFC
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  6. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

Glad to hear it all worked out.
  7. OneFatCat

OneFatCat New Member

Well this has been a lesson learned...[Ill do better next time
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    OFC
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Nice pistol. That was the last year of production for the Model 1836 as the Model 1842 had already been adopted. Not to rub it in, but that is an armory conversion, and you might compare it with what was supposed to be an "armory conversion" on the musket.

The "WAT" cartouche is for the well-known Capt. William Anderson Thornton, USA, who worked from c. 1840 to 1861, and approved Waters and Johnson pistols, Model 1840 muskets, Colt, Savage and Remington revolvers and a bunch of other stuff. The other cartouche is the inspection and approval stamp for the conversion, but I don't recognize the initials.

Jim
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  9. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Cool beans, thats a nice one.:cool:
  10. OneFatCat

OneFatCat New Member

Thanks Jim for the information ...the initials look to be W.A.J.

OFC
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  11. geds

geds New Member

I agree with Jim - that looks like a scripted "T" not a "J"
  12. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

yep, it's a T.
  13. OneFatCat

OneFatCat New Member

Well Im sure you guys are right but here is a little better picture ..

OFC
    [​IMG][/IMG]
  14. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Well, it is WAT; anyone who knows U.S. military arms of that era is quite familiar with that cartouche.

Jim
  15. OneFatCat

OneFatCat New Member

Thanks Jim I appreciate the info ....so I wonder who the other person is?

OFC
  16. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Now I have a good look at that second cartouche, I think it is "SH" which could be Samuel Hawkins, Springfield Armory Sub-inspector, who worked around 1860-1862. Is there a date on top of the tang? If so, it is the conversion date.

A lot of folks are more expert on that period than I, but I do have some old guns. The successor to the Model 1836 was the Model 1842, basically a made-as percussion version of the Model 1836, except with brass furniture instead of iron. Both were good, reliable guns, and the '42 was especially liked for its reliability and .54 caliber power even after revolvers came to be common. Many '36's, converted '36's and '42's were used in the Civil war, often being issued to militia units and support units so that the available revolvers could go to the front lines. One advantage they had over revolvers was that they used the standard musket cap.

Antique and single shot as they are, I have little doubt that looking into the barrels of a brace of Model 1842's would tend to have a daunting effect on someone with ill intent.

Jim
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2011