1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

OK, I'm gonna do it!

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Pistolenschutze, Oct 6, 2007.

1. I have owned longer and shot far more often, the 1911 Colt pattern, single action, .45 ACP caliber pistol than any other handgun I've ever owned, bar none. I carried the military version of this firearm for nearly a year--and, alas, had to make use of it on far too many occassions--on a certain, all-expense-paid, oriental vacation courtesy of Uncle Sam, in a faraway place a long time ago. It never failed me. In short, my respect and admiration for this fine weapon (despite all my kidding about it with Polishshooter and others ;)) has always been of the highest order.

What I have not done, except for very brief periods, up until now that is, is to carry the 1911 pattern pistol for CCW. My objection to it has never been with its unquestionable reliability and effectiveness, but rather to its weight and bulk as a weapon for concealed carry. As a member of TFF for nearly two years now, however, I've had the exceptional opportunity to converse with many fine and knowledgable folks about the 1911 for CCW purposes. OK, you have me at least semi-convinced. I've always believed the only way to know the truth about something is to try it out for yourself. That is precisely what I intend to do. For at least the next two months, I am going to use my Colt Combat Commander (the all steel version of the Commander) exclusively as my daily carry weapon to settle the issue for myself once and for all. I chose the Combat Commander over my Gold Cup for several reasons, the most important of those are its shorter barrel and thus easier concealment, and the simple fact that I shoot it even better than the Gold Cup for some reason. It will be loaded with 230 grain Federal Hydra Shoks (not hardball, Polish! :p) in an 8-round, stainless steel, Chip McCormick ProMag magazine, with an identical one as backup in a mag pouch on my belt. Let the experiment begin! :D

ADDENDUM: Oh, and one of the reasons I decided to try this experiment is that I finally found a belt holster for it I actually like, a Don Hume. It fits closely, rides high, and supports the weapon well. I just now got back from a short errands trip and carried Commander then. So far, it feels fine, even less bulky than my G30! :D
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2007
  2. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

You sure you're not just trying to make a "fashion statement" Pistol? :D
  3. Well, Bruce, I did decide to coordinate it with nice pink chifon panty hose. :D
  4. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

I just KNEW there was something about you I couldn't figure out, PS, now THAT explains a LOT!:eek:;):D:D:D

Say no MORE, say no more, wink wink nudge nudge!:D
  5. But Polish, I chose the color with you in mind. :rolleyes:
  6. magnum man

magnum man New Member

Oh my, get a room you two ;)
  7. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Excuse me....I think I'm going to have another heart attack...:eek::cool::p
  8. Quick! Call the stonemason! :D;):p
  9. sonofsarge

sonofsarge New Member

I would not like to carry my Colt Gov't or Sig GSR for CCW due to their weight. Not even with my Don Hume or Milt Sparks holsters. I do carry my Kimber Tactical Pro on a daily basis though. 4" is the smallest I'm willing to go with a 1911.