Ok, I'm ready to roll my own BP revolver cartridges...

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by Guest, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (8/27/01 10:51:19 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Ok, I'm ready to roll my own BP revolver cartridges...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just a few more questions....

What cigarrette papers are the best? (I'm still working up the nerve to buy some...I dread the looks I'm going to get..."...and a pack of rolling papers, please? )

What kind of Contact Cement is best? Doesn't it gum up the cylinders, or is it fully consumed too?

(I picked up some conical bullets for my 1860 Army this weekend at the show...)
    Well, I didn't win the Powerball, so I still collect Russian Crap and variants thereof. ( And am darn happy I can!)

kdubaz
    (8/27/01 12:09:15 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Ok, I'm ready to roll my own BP revolver cartridges...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    AH............Polish -

Just what type of buddits are you anticipating "rolling" for a bp revolver?

Never heard of cigarette papers and glue before!
    Keep below the ridgeline!

polishshooter
    (8/27/01 10:20:29 pm)
    They did it with conicals...but Dixie says you can use balls too...

In the old days, they used nitrated paper, glued to the base of the bullet just like the .58 paper cartridges from the Civil War Muskets.

After it was attached to the bullet, the cylinder was filled with 20-25 gr of FFFg, and folded over and glued somehow.

That way it really sped up the reloads. You inserted the whole cartridge, and rammed it home, the paper splits, and the cap ignites the paper and powder together, everything is consumed...

You'd load it first with seperate powder and ball, and if you had the time you reloaded the same way, keeping the paper cartridges in a belt pouch for "emergency" "speed" reloads.

I picked up some .450 ML Revolver conicals this weekend...

I HAVE been shooting 200gr. HG#68s leftover from my IPSC days, with about 25 grains FFFg, and they work just fine, but with the flat SWC nose it doesn't match the concave rammer face and you have to take the time to make sure they are seated straight, plus at .452, they would be too wide to have the paper on the outside too, a ring is shaved off when they are seated as it is...
    Well, I didn't win the Powerball, so I still collect Russian Crap and variants thereof. ( And am darn happy I can!)

kdubaz
    (8/27/01 11:18:30 pm)
    How 'bout just dropping a 30 gr pellet down the chamber & seating the buddit on top of it? Seems like that would be just as fast!

polishshooter
    (8/28/01 10:07:41 am)
    Prolly. except I can't bring myself to use Pyrodex....kinda like my aversion to "modern" in-lines...and WHAT sicko at Savage dreamt up a "Muzzleloader" that uses modern smokeless powder?????

I guess I'm a traditionalist, if you have a Blackpowder gun, it's SUPPOSED to be messy and dirty and smoky and slow and smell like rotten eggs and PO the wife when you clean it in the kitchen sink....

Besides, my other is a flint gun that can't use Pyro, so I always have Goex around anyway...Pyro is just one more expense, especially since I don't shoot it all that much.

kdubaz
    (8/28/01 11:29:02 pm)
    I'll agree with you there, Polish -

Never did cotton to Pyrodex - can't get the velocity or accuracy that plain ol' bp gives me. Tried the 30 gr pellets in my Reproduction Remington '58, but went back to the FFg for accuracy and speed. Now, don't knock inlines - traded off my T/C Renegade .50 cal for a T/C Black Diamond because of failing eyesight and desire to scope the charcoal burner. Mounted a scope on the Renegade. Ended up like a Scout rifle with the scope mounted 'way out there. Changed the balance and really made it muzzle heavy. Also, liked the idea of using musket caps or the Shotgun primer for ignition. Well, found out that 150 gr of pellets in the lightweight inline was a real shoulder stomper and possible eye cutter! Backed off to 130 gr of pellets and its still pretty stiff. Am now down to 100 gr and don't like the accuracy. Will be using Geox FFg the next outing. Suppose I'll break some sacred taboo by using bp in the inline?

polishshooter
    (9/16/01 10:19:04 pm)
    Kdub, you need to do some firing over snow! It opens your eyes!

You see specks like pepper in front of you, you are using too much powder, period. Most guys use too much anyway, blows accuracy away without gaining that much power, and most extra just goes out unburnt.

I use 55 gr. FFFg in my flint .45, .440 patched roundball, and it's plenty accurate...as I raise it up accuracy drops quickly. Heck, I'm just happy when the darn thing goes off, you know how flints are. I only got one shot at a deer with it at all, but it dropped, got up, ran 30 yds. dropped, got back up, ran back to where I shot it, and dropped for good. Lung shot, 75 yds, downhill.

It was not uncommon for the mountain men to use 40-45 gr in the same caliber for both deer and Injuns. In fact the general load for any rifle was to put the ball in your hand, and trickle just enough powder over it to cover it...usually it figured out to be 1 gr to 1 caliber, even though they measured balls by number to the pound, not caliber. Usually, you can bet you will be MOST accurate with the LEAST powder. SOOooo....a .50 cal ball should start with 50 gr FFFg, or FFg...and work UP not down. Add 10% for minies...but still work UP, til accuracy drops off. On .50s you can use either 3F or 2F, but I figure (Maybe wrong!) if you get more pressure from the smaller grain in handguns, then in the "border" caliber like a .50 (Not big, not small bore) you SHOULD get more velocity from tghe same amount of 3F...don't know for sure...

My son's CVA Frontier Carbine .50 uses 75 grains FFFg behind a I think 225 gr. Buffalo Ballet, and while he only got one buck, it was about 40yds running quartering away, lung shot, ballet nicely flattened against far side shoulder bone, punched through ribs and both lungs, deer jumped a fence and died.

Nice lite recoil, accurate as heck, plenty of power, I steal it when it's raining and he doesn't go...out to past 100 I feel it's just fine...

I have a friend with a Dixie Tennesee Mountain .50 that uses ungodly amounts of FFFg in it, and I can't convince him he's almost 2X too much. He gets his deer with it though, can't convince him, it works. Once he loaded two balls (Yeah, I know it's illegal in Indiana, but he's a good ol'boy, eats everything...) and he stuck a beer can in the entrance hole(s) of his buck, shot at 50 yds. Yeah, it dropped like a stone.