OK master Carpenters...Need Help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sniperassist, Feb 10, 2010.

1. sniperassist

sniperassist New Member

Hey folks...
    Need some advise from you master carpenters out there. We are completing our entry way for our ranch and want to build a 16 foot (1) piece gate out of wood. The Aluminum and steel ones are running over $1,700. Any ideas or tips to make a solid gate that will have a motorized opener. I want to buil one that wont sag and last.
  2. ARB

ARB New Member

I'd start with buying a wheel for the bottom. Can be picked up at any farm store. I would think that anything that big made out of wood is going to have a tendency to sag a bit. What the gate going to be attached to will also make a difference. How tall is this purposed gate going to be?
    I am not a master carpenter, but I have been around fences and gates of one sort or another for most of my life.
  3. sniperassist

sniperassist New Member

Yeap..the wheel was in my plans to ease the load of the gate. The gate is going to be 48" high. I built two colums made out of block and brick so its solid as can be.
  4. ARB

ARB New Member

Well, shoot. Without trying to give step by step instructions, the best I can do is suggest finding the style you want and give it a go. Specialized Gate & Access Incorporated has a pretty good gallery. Number 13 looks to be a good design. Only, your taste is going to be the deciding factor. If I was near your location I'd give you a hand, but....:)
  5. jestor

jestor New Member

You could buy a welding machine and cutting torch or chop saw and build it yourself, I think a gate that big would be more durable and trouble free made out of metal. Get a price from a welding shop on what they could build one for,
  6. Farmerjon

Farmerjon New Member

I'd go metal also. If it swings open and snow will be involved, the hinge has to also allow it to run up on the snow pack so it has to actually hinge two ways from one hinge. Solid pole, hinge from the bottom and lift it up using a winch radio controlled to a outlet. Then when it comes back down it fits into a socket/L bracket so it is secure. Just two quick ideas. Got a local welding college around? High school welding class? They might do the job for a pizza party and the material.
  7. sniperassist

sniperassist New Member

Well no snow to worry about here...I did think about welding one myself. The prices I got yesterday were$2,216.00 for aluminum and $1,870.00 for steel/iron. Seems like a big expence for a gate. It would be cheaper for me to get a welder and material, although it been some time since I welded anything. I also like the local college idea.

There are several people in my area that have fine looking wood gates that seem to be holding up well. And of course there are those that look like they would be better suited for a nice fire pit. My horse fence is all wood and I happen to really like the wood look myself. I found a site that gave me some good ideas. Wood will work well, but it has to be constructed diffrently to actually last. Thanks fellas
  8. ronnieboy

ronnieboy New Member

does the gate have hinges or will it roll shut straight or swing? if it swings, you can make a good gate with 2x material. a rolling gate will work too, if its braced right. rd
  9. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    EITHER YOU WILL NEED TO USE TREATED LUMBER OR POSSIBLY CEDAR TO PREVENT ROT AND INSECT PROBLEMS.YOU EITHER WANT TO USE STAINLESS CARRIAGE BOLTS AND NUTS OR POSSIBLY DECK SCREWS IF WOOD IS LIGHT ENOUGH......YOU WILL FIND AT THE LUMBER STORE IN THE DECK SUPPLY AREA METAL PLATES OF VARIOUS SIZES TO REINFORCE JUNCTIONS........IF THIS IS FOR SECURITY THEN YOU WILL NEED HEAVY WOOD IF NOT USE THE LIGHTEST DIAMETER POSSIBLE......AS WAS STATED B-4 A GROUND WHEEL IS A MUST TO PREVENT SAGING........ONE OTHER THING YOU CAN DO IS USE STEEL CABLE IN A CRISS CROSS PATTERN WITH I BOLTS AND TURNBUCKLES TO TIGHTEN.......I HOPE THIS PUTS YOU IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION OLD SEMPERFI
  10. oldogy

oldogy New Member

Let me see if I understand this right.
    1.This gate is for a ranch entrance.
    2.The price you are being quoted on steel or aluminum is too expensive.
    Farm gates in our area don't run anywhere near that kind of money for a stock gate. I paid a couple hundred dollars for a sixteen foot steel farm gate a couple years ago. It ain't fancy, just a farm gate. I put a five hundred dollar Mighty Mule opener with solar charger on it. Freezing weather is not good for opener operation but most of the time it works just fine. If I do it again, I will investigate other opener options.
    I swung the gate on an eight inch locust post about three feet down and it hangs, swings easy.
    Suggest you check with a farm co-op or Tractor Supply.
    oldogy
    I know you wanted carpenter advice but your post indicated your initial plans were for about what I suggest.
    Edit: Sorry for the misinformation. I checked my gate and it is only a 14'.
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  11. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I've seen a couple of steel gates camouflaged with wood overlay. Stock fence gates ain't pretty but are stout. Wood overlay hides the steel and looks nice without adding a lot of weight.

Both of them were raising rather than swinging gates.

Pops