OK, newbie here loading the .45 Long Colt cartridge

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/8/03 10:56:31 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All OK, newbie here loading the .45 Long Colt cartridge
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ah needs to know...about .45 Long Colt buddits.

All my .45 buddits is .452 diameter stuff, will they shoot OK in the .45 LC cylinder that shoots through a .455 revolver barrel?

You will probably tell me to slug the barrel but I've never done that and don't want to. Got to be someone out there that has some experience with this set up.

Also, those dang .452 buddits stick out too far in the .45 LC cylinder. So, what brand of hard cast buddits is there to buy that don't have too long an ogive past the seat point on the buddit. Would like some 240 to 250 grain FN buddits and maybe some 200 grainners in the flying ash tray configuration.

Thanks for any help.

Gunguy

inplanotx
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/8/03 4:34:06 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: OK, newbie here loading the .45 Long Colt cartridge
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi GG,
    First a couple of questions. How do you know the barrel is .455. Is this a converted .455 Eley? Also, what is the forcing cone size on the buddit end of dat LC cylinder? That is what will determine accuracy when matched to the barrel. Take a caliper reading of each cyclinder (barrel end). If the cylinder was matched to the barrel, then the cones should be around .455 also. That will determine bullet diameter.

Now for the length in the cylinder. I would use a cowboy action buddit of RNFP design or a Keith type. Instead of crimping in the crimp groove, just seat a little deeper and crimp on the front barrel band. This will be fine as it sounds like an old gun and you will be using light loads.

Slugging the barrel is real easy. Go down to Home Depot and get yourself a piece of wood dowel that is just under barrel size (.455). Get a one foot piece. Depending on barrel length, make one piece to go all the way through the barrel and the other that will fit into the barrel from the frame size. Take a cast buddit and place nose down in front of barrel. Gentle start it down the barrel with one piece of the dowel. When flush with the muzzle, insert rod #2 in from the frame until it contacts the nose of the bullet. Place full length dowel on bullet base and tap until it expands in the barrel with retention from rod #2 in the frame side. This will expand the bullet to barrel diameter. After that, gently ease the bullet toward the frame noting any "easy spots" until the bullet exits the forcing cone at the frame. Measure buddit and there you have it.

You can always send an email for more info.

Rick

Improvise...Adapt...Overcome

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/8/03 6:29:07 pm)
    See- Ain't nuttin' to it, GG!
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/8/03 8:07:27 pm)
    Dang, these guys are so darn smart its sickening to ole fart like me.

I'm picken up the gun tomorrow after 2:00 PM, but I'm sure it only says .455 caliber no Eley after the numbers...but I've been more wrong than right lately.

The cylinder is a home made hack job on the reaming even though the person left some throats before the end of the holes.

But no problem (I hope) got a real nice factory original .45 Long Colt cylinder to replace that piece of crap in the gun.

So, all things being equal it should be OK as a shooter...hope hopa hope?

Has a 6 inch barrel too, can that be considered a 1917 with Canadian proof marks?

Kdub, I've still got your recipe of 17.0 grains of AA5744 powder with a 200 grain buddit. But you didn't say how fast the fps is with that loading. And is that with lead buddits not jacketed.

More later.

Gunguy

Edited by: AGunguy at: 2/8/03 8:13:11 pm

inplanotx
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/8/03 9:41:51 pm)
    Okay, ya got yurself a 1917 with a 45 LC cylinder huh? Make sure the throats are .454 and you can salvage the rest. If all else fails, use a .454 ball (usually for cap and ball round) along with 6.5 gr of Unique and you'll get 521 fps with this load. You can also use 7.2 gr of SR-7625 for 602 fps. Red Dot (4.3 gr) will buy ya 536 fps.

May not want to replace the cylinder if the forcing cones are about .454 vs .4515 for the new LC. Years ago, Colt made the Peacemaker with .454 cones and barrel. Much desrepancy with this set up. Colt, after WWII went to .452 and now we have the new generation. After all is said and done .4515 and all is well.

I believe the .454 cap and ball specs will give you the best for your money.

Rick

Rick
    Improvise...Adapt...Overcome

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/8/03 10:20:46 pm)
    Yawp - lead buddits w/ 750 fps avg. Tried to sorta duplicate the load for the old bp factory loads, being as Im loading a conversion cylinder for a repro 1858 Remington and didn't want to get too carried away. Found it fairly mild to shoot and with accuracy potential. Been a looooong time since I've blown anything down range with it - might be time to haul it to the range and get reaquainted.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/9/03 12:41:19 am)
    Thanks guys, you've certainly given me a lot to think about.

Have to wait until tomorrow to try and take some measurements on this gun.

Talk to you later.

Kdub, your velocity figures sound good to me.

Gunguy

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/9/03 10:15:16 am)
    The nominal bullet diameter of .455 Webley is .455. That of the .45 (long) Colt is .454.

HOWEVER....I have a MK. VI Enfield (identical to the Webley) in .455 and the barrel slugs at .4523. I use .45ACP (with half-moon clips) with the bullets sized to .452 and it works fine.

For .45ACP.....200 gr. SWC, sized to .4520.....3.5 gr. Bullseye

From a sandbag rest, in single action, I get about 3-3 1/2" groups at 25 yards. Certainly accurate enough for an old warhorse.