Ok, now I can tell.....

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by robsguns, Jun 7, 2004.

1. robsguns

robsguns New Member

http://www.dealerease.net/catalog/product.asp?pid=1009519&ret_id=140211

1909 Argentines, complete except for the stock. I ordered one of each. These are the turned down bolts, carbines I guess, though they dont say carbine in the description. I've emailed and confirmed. Darn near any stock will fit these, so thats not an issue. I just love the one I already have, so I figured what the heck, these are a good buy, in my opinion. You can get a stock set from Numrich if you want, for about 50.00, but I'm not sure you'll get what you want, I've never had a warm fuzzy for Numrich. I might chance it after the Argies arrive, if the ones I get are really nice.
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Sounds like a good deal Rob. The Argentine Mauser is a nice strong action, and 7.65x53mm is a fine hunting caliber (though not the easiest cartridge to find).

I'm sure there are a whole bunch of aftermarket sporter stocks out there that'll fit that action.
  3. robsguns

robsguns New Member

Update

I received the rifles Friday. I've been cleaning and disassembling, not in that order. Anyway, the barrels are in good shape inside, but there is some heavy rust on one of them on the outside of the barrel. I'm wondering about just how much pitting is too much. There is light to moderate surface rust in many spots over both rifles. Some of the rust is not repairable, removable yes, but the pits will remain.

One rifle can be described like this: receiver in the white, surface rust covers the receiver. Barrel bore extremely dirty, but good rifling. Some surface rust on the barrel, and other parts of the rifle, but in workable condition, with no repairs required.

The other one is in similar condition, although I believe its receiver is suppose to be blue, and is just very worn. The front site is broken, not the base, just the site. This one is the one that has a barely visible crest on the receiver, but some of its parts have the 'hand in hand' mark on it, which is nice. The serial number on the bolt of this one is partially missing.

All in all, these are not rifles for anyone that wants to do anything with them other than put a stock on it, throw it in the back of the truck and shoot it once in a while. You could sporterize one if you wanted, or spend a lot of time and/or money restoring one, but you would end up with a rifle that still isnt worth what you have into it, so I'd stick with just tossing a stock on one and using it as a rifle in the corner, back of the pickup seat, in a scabbard on the tractor, etc., and not worry about anyone or anything hurting it.

So, in conclusion, collectors-dont bother, fans of the cartridge and action for shooting-go for it, and those that dont care what a gun looks like and would like to have a gun they dont have to ever worry about cleaning or having rust on it-this is your kind of gun.
  4. merc

merc New Member

RG
    Thanks for the report on your Mausers.
    That was a good report for anyone wanting to know what they would get without listening to the company's ad.
    I think that the price for what you describe is still a pretty good deal.
    It is always fun to buff the metal--reblue and oil everything--put on a cheapo, crappy stock that you refinished into a beauty yourself and viola.
    You will end up with a decent bang around rifle that looks 1/2 decent.
    Good job