OK, Project Gun ready for range-testing...

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Smokin Guns, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

AntiqueDr
    (10/12/01 10:11:39 pm)
    Reply OK, Project Gun ready for range-testing...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just finished the bench work.

10/22 with Butler Creek carbon-fiber .920" barrel, Tri-Port
    Butler Creek synthetic stock, free-floated barrel to the receiver
    Reworked internals, trigger/sear/hammer alignment, made new springs. Trigger right at 30 oz.

Gonna see if it's worth keeping before I go further. Assuming it shoots like it looks, going to semipermanently attach the barrel, jewel the bolt, teflon the receiver and trigger housing to match the barrel.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (10/13/01 7:04:37 am)
    Reply Re: OK, Project Gun ready for range-testing...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Doc, keep us posted . I want to know how it shoots. I've been wondering about those barrels. I'm starting another 10/22 project as soon as I can find the time.

TallTLynn
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (10/13/01 9:27:56 am)
    While I still don't understand what a 10/22 is Doc I too will be looking forward to a range report on your reworked weapon.

And since you writing style is interesting and enjoyable for me to read (even hard statistical facts that make no sense to me) this will be good.

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/13/01 8:19:36 pm)
    TLynn
    10/22 = a 10 shot 22 semi-auto made by Ruger and properly dressed perhaps the best mass market 22 ever made

AntiqueDr
    (10/13/01 10:05:23 pm)
    I used to build custom Ruger Mk-I target and hunting pistols. I would take the Ace of Hearts from a standard card deck and put a 5-shot group through the center heart as a test target. Dont know if I'm that good a shot anymore, but that 12x scope should help on the 10/22 anyway...

www.apaxenterprises.com

AntiqueDr
    (10/14/01 4:54:58 pm)
    Well, it shoots sure enough. 50 yd 10-shot group into 0.4" center-to-center.

Now to do the purty stuff...

www.apaxenterprises.com

kdubaz
    (10/14/01 4:57:30 pm)
    Yup - that's a keeper!
    Keep below the ridgeline!

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (10/14/01 6:21:43 pm)
    Not bad.

AntiqueDr
    (10/14/01 7:30:15 pm)
    You can sure tell between different brands of ammunition...

Group in the X is Aguila (.75"), 3 o'clock is CCI Mini-Mag (.81"), 2 o'clock is Eley (which was doing well until the flyers - probably my fault, (.88") , and 5 o'clock is CCI Green Tag (.31"). The dot at 11 o'clock is the aiming point for the X-group. Different aiming points were shot for each brand.

Why cant I find a rifle that will shoot with the 99-cent stuff?

www.apaxenterprises.com

Bob In St Louis
    (10/14/01 7:36:21 pm)
    Check with Polishshooter - he has probably cobbled together some super-dupper triplex 22 loads that every round recoils like a 30-06 and places three 30 grain wads of lead spaced within .5" at 100 yards. If not, he better get workin' on it!
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

LIKTOSHOOT
    (10/15/01 7:38:48 am)
    Doc, those are pretty good groups. I would shoot them over again though, when I see horizonal and vertical strings....that is shooter induced most of the time. Also check the case length of the best group, odds are they are slightly longer. Mine shoots some of those wide groups with CCI Stingers at 50 yards, but at 75-80 yards they close up. I have had good luck with Remington Sub-Sonics also, are you shooting solids or HP`s. I hope you broke in the barrel before these groups were fired, those barrels do well if so and can reduce groups by as much as a 1/4". If you want my reciept on barrels for .22`s.....just ask. Do we get a picture of before and after......the rifle???? LTS
    America, we are the symbol of Freedom and Liberty......

AntiqueDr
    (10/15/01 8:26:16 am)
    I havent shot the Rem's. It was not a very good shooting day for me, so I am sure that had something to do with the horizontal stringing. All the ammo shot were solids.

I'll be putting pics up once I get the aesthetic stuff done and a decent scope mounted. The "before" rifle was a box-stock 10/22...

A little more tweaking on the trigger group is needed. Developed just a hair of creep during the shooting.

Those B/C carbon-fiber barrels are pretty sweet, especially for the money!

www.apaxenterprises.com