OK smart guys....answer this....

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by jlloyd73, Dec 9, 2012.

1. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

So, a bunch of my buddies came by today and we were shooting all kinds of stuff.

My question is this......two different rounds in particular....

We shot a 416 Rigby a bunch and a 338 Lapua a bunch........right after we shot the guns and ejected the brass you could pick up the brass and it was always cold. The brass never got warm or hot.

I could never get a clear answer from my buddy......he wanted me to figure it out for myself and i just cannot figure it out or find the answer anywhere.

Do any of you know why/how this happens?
  2. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

What was the temperature outside when you were shooting?
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Moderator

Were they handloads? Milder loads often don't get too hot.
  4. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

maybe pushing the mid to high 60s.
  5. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

I have also seen Hornady light mag compressed loads act like that. Extremely clean too.
  6. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

They were handloads, but they do a mid to high charge in their ammo, so nothing light.
  7. JLA

JLA Moderator

The big magnums use slow powders that do not burn nearly as hot as faster powders do. Fire a .300 WM and a .223 next to each other and immediately eject the brass into your hand. the .223 will be a blazing and the WM will be barely warm.
  8. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That is exactly right. The higher the pressure rate the hotter the brass.
  9. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

Keep in mind also that by the time the brass has ejected and hit the ground it won't be very warm anymore. So, if it takes you 10 seconds before you pick it up it will not be hot. I fire off 3 or 4 clips from my .45, pick up the brass and none of it is even warm to touch - not even the steel casings. Most of the heat follows the bullet out the barrel.
  10. JLA

JLA Moderator

Clips?? You shootn a chinese C96 clone?
  11. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Brass gets hot, but the heat dissipates pretty quickly if the gun is not being fired rapidly because the steel of the barrel and chamber will absorb the heat. Obviously, if the ambient temperature is cool/cold, the heat of the case will dissipate more rapidly.

But if the gun is fired rapidly (an AR-15 in .416 Rigby?) then the steel doesn't get a chance to cool; in fact it gets hot and stays hot. Not only does it not absorb heat, but it transfers its heat to the cartridge cases, which then become too hot to pick up or, in the extreme, can result in a cookoff.

Jim