Ok, tell me I am not crazy, or crazier than I really am..

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Texman, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Texman

Texman New Member

Back in the late 60 or early 70 I bought a S&W 38 alloy revolver with a hidden hammer. Small gun, I “think” it was a detective special? I searched high and low for info on this gun, but for the life of me can’t find it anywhere… btw, I don’t have it any more, ex wife had it last time I knew.. :(

maybe a hidden hammer was more correct term?

Am I nuts? Or what/A
  2. BillP

BillP New Member

Smith has made severl J frame guns similar to what you describe but we would need a little more information to pin it down. Detective Special was a Colt mdl. name, I don't spesificly remember an alloy frame but I am suer they made one although it may have had another name.
  3. Rommelvon

Rommelvon New Member

They made one called the bodyguard, not exactly sure of the production dates, 60's or 70's
  4. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

That would be the S&W model 42 Centennial, if it had a grip safety. The S&W Bodyguard mod. 38? had a shrouded hammer.
    If it was a Colt, it would have been an Agent or Cobra, with a hammer shroud.
    Bill
  5. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

OK Texman, you're not crazy.....only slightly demented as all of us GunNuts are! :)

Could be (and probably was) the Model 38 Bodyguard Airweight. This model had a shrouded hammer. It looked like this (only in blue) http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...d=10001&productId=14772&langId=-1&isFirearm=Y

Or could've been the Model 42 Centennial Airweight, which had a concealed hammer and a grip safety. It looked like this (but with a grip safety): http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...d=10001&productId=14760&langId=-1&isFirearm=Y
  6. Texman

Texman New Member

I attempted to reply to this eairler this morning,, didn't take,, so here it is again.

That first one is the gun for sure.. had different grips as I remember,, but yep.. Durn sure wish I had that one back..

ummm,, maybe trade off my Russian auto pistol for used One? Will look around.. Thanks... :)