OK then

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bobitis, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Doesn't seem so bad.......;)
  2. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

still feels like general discussion so far...:rolleyes:
  4. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Ok then....

The pot has been stirred, and much to the suprise of the many of us, nothing has changed.

I jumped to conclusions as did many of us.

Time out. Peace. Collect thoughts. STEP AWAY FROM THE FORUM!

Breathe. Relax. Try to understand.

I'm guilty. My humble appologies.:eek:
  5. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

You can not imagine the enjoyment I have had participating in TFF. As a relative newbe I am still some what intimidated making a post due to limited computer skills, inexperience and ignorance. I would not want to make problems for any of the staff but may well do that innocently. I would not be offended or embarrassed after making a post if one of the more senior members pointed out to me the errors I was making so that I could correct them and not continue to make problems for others. I would think most new comers would feel the same way. Tactful corrective criticism should be acceptable to all ( even 71 year olds ).

Todd
  6. new308handloader

new308handloader New Member

Yep....same thing. Same stuff can be posted in "Off Topic" that was posted in "General Discussion".....and people will still put posts in the wrong area. Edited for bathroom type content I'm just not sure this will solve anything. Kind of like the Democrates renaming the same bill to a different name.
  7. red14

red14 Active Member

Chief, as many lives as you have saved and your career of being a public servant, absolves you of any errors you think you may have made here. Thank you for your service. I would be proud to be your friend. May you stay and teach us about life, for many years to come.
  8. new308handloader

better wait and see Bobbis......remember the idea is two fold...it is not as simple as renaming "General Discussion" to "Off Topic"....the Mods do not want discussion other that about firearms.
  9. ARB

ARB New Member

And, it's not even the 1st of April.:p
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  10. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

:eek:

OK then.....:rolleyes:
  11. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Red,
    You may most certainly consider yourself my friend. At the risk of thread drift, if you want to be really friendly you would send some of that Florida weather up this way. I am way past accepting this snow. I have all the brass loaded except for some primed .38 Super because I no longer have the pistol. I just want to get out and shoot something.
  12. red14

red14 Active Member

Friendship humbly accepted. Stop into the Red Dog Saloon or the Harem thread (now the TFF Cole), anytime.

The high here tomorrow is 49 with 15-20 MPH winds. Cold day for baseball practice. At least the kids can run.
  13. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

Having general chat deleted and removed from this earth had me shaking in my boots! and to think I was looking for another forum!

If it had been deleted than I think I would have lost all faith in people! no no wait to think about it people kind of suck in general but you guys are OK!
  14. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Says who? I never read anywhere that off topic can only be about firearms.....
    Much like "some" preachers... i think you are interpreting things your own way?
    My suspicion is that they just want the childish stuff to cease.

mike
    gn
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  15. Popeye

Popeye New Member

I sense a great deal of fear and trepidation about... we know not.

Is that the problem? We know not? Change?

My humble suggestion is that we all take a deep breath, kick back and open another beer... or whatever. We can afford to wait and take note of what transpires. Then we can congratulate or complain depending on how we feel about the forthcoming "changes".
  16. SouthernMoss

BINGO!!
  17. new308handloader

Mike, you are probably correct...but I don't think I am interpreting things my own way...I think the way it was explained left all wondering what exactly was going on and what would happen. Reading the posts in question from beginning to end now that the deed is done now seems clear that the intent was two fold:
    1) - Rename "General Discussion" to something more clear to stop things from being posted in that area that should actually be in other areas...which will make the Mods lives easier by not having to always move posts.
    2) - Not to stop discussion other than about firearms, but rather to stop the childish stuff and return TFF to be family oriented as it use to be.

However, for one reading as it was going on, it was not clear...it was actually a little scary and dis-heartening. I do think all the fear could have been eliminated by just explaining the coming changes as simply as my own points 1) and 2) above.

That being said, I feel much better now as many do knowing the TFF family is not getting "divorced".
  18. dianalv

dianalv New Member

I guess "childish stuff" would cover just about everything I post that isn't about firearms and music. I'm just a big kid, and it's cool to find other big kids who have the same interests I do to play with. We got booted out of General Discussion into the Pump House and have done our best to keep our nonsence on two threads there, but it's hard to repress your own personality when posting on other threads. I'm starting to get the impression that I'm just not "serious" enough, as one member told me, to post anywhere but the joke thread unless it's directly related to firearms.

To me, life is serious enough already. We are all dealing with serious issues in our life right now. A place to come and unwind with like minded people is a blessing. I don't find a little humor on the board "childish or embarassing" as I was told my posts were by another member.

I really like this forum. I like that we all treat each other with respect, even when opinions differ about important topics. I like that the members themselves police this forum to keep it respectful and a decent place where Liberals, children and women feel welcome.(lol) I like that you can find good information and knowlegeable people. I like the sense of family that the Pump House and General Discussion forums engender. I think the mods do an excellent job.

Just be careful about what you are attempting, please because "childish" people like me will leave this forum if we are expected to be "serious" all the time. I just can't do it, and I don't want to feel like I'm constantly having to tiptoe on eggshells when I come here, or that I have to repress who I am when I post. I can be as serious as the next person when it's needed, but a spoonful of humor makes the world much more palatable.

It seems to me that what you are aiming for is censorship based on "taste" rather than censorship based on courtesy and respect. Personally, I think that's a very dangerous place to go, but as others have stated, it's your baby. You can dress it any way you want to.
  19. new308handloader

I hear you...and am right there with you.
    You mean the Pump House is for jokes? I had no idea, I thought jokes go in the Politicaly Incorrect or General Discussion (opps...Off Topic)!
    Seriously, what is the difference between Politicaly Incorrect and Pump House?
  20. SouthernMoss

This post is not directed at anyone in particular, so please, no one take it personally. I just want to address the issue.

We are not asking people to be "serious" all the time. But there's a difference between "playful" and "childish". I'm not going to try to split hairs here, so I will only say that we have lost many members who got fed up with the bathroom humor and sexual innuendo that was becoming more prevalent. We are going to pull a Barney Fife here and "nip it."

We've also lost members who got tired of every thread they followed being pulled off the original subject into meaningless banter and personal conversations. Now we all agree that thread drift happens sometimes. But there comes a time when you need to decide maybe it's time to start a new thread, rather than derail the current one. Or if it has degenerated into a personal discussion, take it to the Chat Room.

The people we are losing don't make a big show when they leave. They just quietly stop posting and disappear. But we have heard enough behind the scenes to know that it is becoming a big problem.