Ok to dry fire .38 revolver??

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by flyfshn, Aug 2, 2008.

1. flyfshn

flyfshn New Member

I am a new firearm owner of a Taurus .38 revolver and I was wondering it if is ok to dry fire it?? I believe I heard or read something somewhere that said you shouldn't??
  2. mikea5232

mikea5232 New Member

i have a ruger gp100(which is a revoler) and iv been told by many people that you can dry fire them all day long and not have any problems
  3. With modern revolvers you can probably get away with it, Fly, at least on a limited basis, but frankly I wouldn't take the risk. Instead, buy some snap caps, then you can dry fire it without any risk of damage to the firing pin.
  4. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

If you don't have snap caps stick some once fired cases in, they will be good for a dozen or so strikes. Just double check they are the fired ones and still point in a safe direction! :)
  5. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Member

flyfshn;

Pull the trigger all you want with ANY center fire handgun. You will NOT damage one of them by dry-firing them. period.

After over 20 years of firearms instructing and discussing this same topic with dozens of other instructors the answer is always the same, it will not harm the gun or the parts of the gun to do so.

I have dry-fired tens of thousands of times with my own guns both semi and revolvers and talking with other instructors who have done so not one story or instance of a problem by anyone from this procedure, not one.

For the record, if you choose to use your expended brass for such as snap caps, be sure to get some model paint and paint the heads a bright color prior to using them. If the paint becomes worn and it will in time, paint it again. This is a very dangerous practice but it can be made less so with a little paint.

Welcome to the forum.

UncleFudd
  6. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Dangerous practice you say uncle fudd, well I can see your point. I regret making any suggestion that might be dangerous, but then arnt guns supposed to be dangerous and treated as such?

I guess with thirty four years of working with firearms on several continents, including time as a qualified instructor, I may have taken for granted one of the first things I was taught, by a USMC instructor by the way, 'your safety is between the ears' he used to say.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2008
  7. Haligan

Haligan Well-Known Member

Fudd and Tranter,
    Fight nicely or I'm gonna have to separate you two.
  8. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Awww Haligan. :mad:
  9. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

It's nice to be positive, but you're wrong.

Extensive dry-firing of Colt Single Action Armies and their copies will lead to the firing pin peening the inside of the hole in the recoil shield, raising a burr that will drag on the case heads as you cock it, and in some cases, raising a burr so large the loaded cylinder will not rotate. Been there, done that. Stone the burr off, and the gun is good to go. But it was still damaged by dry-firing.
  10. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

I would agree that as long as the firing pin is not mounted on the hammer, but within the frame it is safe. Many S&W revolvers have a hammer mounted pin. I would refrain from dry firing these. Best reguards Kirk
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

.22 rimfires also.... the firing pin tends to hit the breech face, wearing both the firing pin and the breech face, i have seen examples that wouldnt chamber a round because of this, and then when i fixed that problem, they wouldnt hit the rim hard enough to fire the cartridge. just be safe and get some snap caps. they sell them at wal-mart and arent expensive enough to risk repair...
  12. BillP

BillP New Member

Yes, there are handguns that should not be dry fired. But don't be one of those sheep that insists on buying something you don't need "just to be safe". A quality revolver of modern design should be designed to make it not just OK but perfectly safe. Saying "I just use snap caps to be safe" is sort of like saying,"I've had a vasectomy but we use a condom anyway".

Read your manual, learn about your firearm, ask questions (as you did) but don't accept any "just to be safe" advice. You may find that a firearm should not be dry fired but if so, know exactly why. The advice about old Colt SAs is good because it includes a reason specific to those firearms.
  13. Try that with a CZ52 why don't you, Fudd? See how long your firing pin lasts . . . about 20 snaps if you're very, very lucky. The original firing pins on the 52s are quite brittle and dry firing them WILL destroy the firing pin, not may, WILL. The bottom line is that most modern American and European center-fire handguns are relatively safe to dry fire, and indeed dry firing is a useful technique for training purposes. Nonetheless, why take an unnecessary risk with a fine mechanism when snap caps are readily available and cheap?
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Amen pistol...
  15. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Member

Pistol and others ;
    You are right in this case and my bad, ANY centerfire is wrong and I should have thought of that,
    as for his gun I still say go for it dry firing will NOT damage it.
    Personal apology for the response and choice of words.

Tranter;
    I did not take your response as a poke in the eye nor was mine meant as one to you. In fact it had nothing to do with your input other than to apply a safety measure to a "potentially" dangerous practice of using expended brass.
    If as you say you have been around guns then you know we cannot take anything for granted and using expended brass for snap caps although an inexpensive solution I stand by the recommendation to paint the heads to identify them as expended. If not necessary or a good idea, then why do we suppose the snap caps are brightly colored as are even toy guns, air soft guns etc.

I make mistakes and have done so on this post with my choice of words, but for painting the heads of expended brass, no apology as it is a good practice.

UncleFudd
  16. noslolo

noslolo New Member

I know several people that have dry fired their 686 S&W, as have I, for thousands of pulls with no issue, beyond that handgun, I have no exp.
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  17. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Agreed Uncle Fudd, anything that promotes safety is a good idea. :)

No pokes intended or received by the way, just good banter.
  18. desirefirst

desirefirst New Member

the firing pin on my Taurus Judge broke while dry firing after maybe 100 times
  19. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

taurus quality at it's best
  20. wpage

wpage Active Member

Dry firing is like flushing a toilet with no water in it. Whats the point? Something is going to be wearing anyway. Its a mechanical device.