The Firearms Forum banner

Ok to dry fire .38 revolver??

75K views 54 replies 30 participants last post by  tedwitt 
#1 ·
I am a new firearm owner of a Taurus .38 revolver and I was wondering it if is ok to dry fire it?? I believe I heard or read something somewhere that said you shouldn't??

G
#3 ·
With modern revolvers you can probably get away with it, Fly, at least on a limited basis, but frankly I wouldn't take the risk. Instead, buy some snap caps, then you can dry fire it without any risk of damage to the firing pin.

#5 ·
flyfshn;

Pull the trigger all you want with ANY center fire handgun. You will NOT damage one of them by dry-firing them. period.

After over 20 years of firearms instructing and discussing this same topic with dozens of other instructors the answer is always the same, it will not harm the gun or the parts of the gun to do so.

I have dry-fired tens of thousands of times with my own guns both semi and revolvers and talking with other instructors who have done so not one story or instance of a problem by anyone from this procedure, not one.

For the record, if you choose to use your expended brass for such as snap caps, be sure to get some model paint and paint the heads a bright color prior to using them. If the paint becomes worn and it will in time, paint it again. This is a very dangerous practice but it can be made less so with a little paint.

Welcome to the forum.

UncleFudd

G
#6 · (Edited)
flyfshn;
For the record, if you choose to use your expended brass for such as snap caps, be sure to get some model paint and paint the heads a bright color prior to using them. If the paint becomes worn and it will in time, paint it again. This is a very dangerous practice but it can be made less so with a little paint.

UncleFudd
Dangerous practice you say uncle fudd, well I can see your point. I regret making any suggestion that might be dangerous, but then arnt guns supposed to be dangerous and treated as such?

I guess with thirty four years of working with firearms on several continents, including time as a qualified instructor, I may have taken for granted one of the first things I was taught, by a USMC instructor by the way, 'your safety is between the ears' he used to say.

#9 ·
flyfshn;

Pull the trigger all you want with ANY center fire handgun. You will NOT damage one of them by dry-firing them. period.

UncleFudd
It's nice to be positive, but you're wrong.

Extensive dry-firing of Colt Single Action Armies and their copies will lead to the firing pin peening the inside of the hole in the recoil shield, raising a burr that will drag on the case heads as you cock it, and in some cases, raising a burr so large the loaded cylinder will not rotate. Been there, done that. Stone the burr off, and the gun is good to go. But it was still damaged by dry-firing.

Reactions: tedwitt
#11 ·
.22 rimfires also.... the firing pin tends to hit the breech face, wearing both the firing pin and the breech face, i have seen examples that wouldnt chamber a round because of this, and then when i fixed that problem, they wouldnt hit the rim hard enough to fire the cartridge. just be safe and get some snap caps. they sell them at wal-mart and arent expensive enough to risk repair...

#12 ·
Yes, there are handguns that should not be dry fired. But don't be one of those sheep that insists on buying something you don't need "just to be safe". A quality revolver of modern design should be designed to make it not just OK but perfectly safe. Saying "I just use snap caps to be safe" is sort of like saying,"I've had a vasectomy but we use a condom anyway".

Read your manual, learn about your firearm, ask questions (as you did) but don't accept any "just to be safe" advice. You may find that a firearm should not be dry fired but if so, know exactly why. The advice about old Colt SAs is good because it includes a reason specific to those firearms.

G
#13 ·
Try that with a CZ52 why don't you, Fudd? See how long your firing pin lasts . . . about 20 snaps if you're very, very lucky. The original firing pins on the 52s are quite brittle and dry firing them WILL destroy the firing pin, not may, WILL. The bottom line is that most modern American and European center-fire handguns are relatively safe to dry fire, and indeed dry firing is a useful technique for training purposes. Nonetheless, why take an unnecessary risk with a fine mechanism when snap caps are readily available and cheap?

#15 ·
Pistol and others ;
You are right in this case and my bad, ANY centerfire is wrong and I should have thought of that,
as for his gun I still say go for it dry firing will NOT damage it.
Personal apology for the response and choice of words.

Tranter;
I did not take your response as a poke in the eye nor was mine meant as one to you. In fact it had nothing to do with your input other than to apply a safety measure to a "potentially" dangerous practice of using expended brass.
If as you say you have been around guns then you know we cannot take anything for granted and using expended brass for snap caps although an inexpensive solution I stand by the recommendation to paint the heads to identify them as expended. If not necessary or a good idea, then why do we suppose the snap caps are brightly colored as are even toy guns, air soft guns etc.

I make mistakes and have done so on this post with my choice of words, but for painting the heads of expended brass, no apology as it is a good practice.

UncleFudd

#18 ·
flyfshn;

After over 20 years of firearms instructing and discussing this same topic with dozens of other instructors the answer is always the same, it will not harm the gun or the parts of the gun to do so.

I have dry-fired tens of thousands of times with my own guns both semi and revolvers and talking with other instructors who have done so not one story or instance of a problem by anyone from this procedure, not one.

Welcome to the forum.

UncleFudd
the firing pin on my Taurus Judge broke while dry firing after maybe 100 times

#19 ·
#21 ·
dry firing is a good way to practice trigger control, grip and stance. it's a good way to help reduce flinching and other bad habits.

i know dry firing will not hurt a ruger blackhawk or single six, or a smith and wesson with a frame mounted firing pin from personal experience. and i know it will not damage a 1911 or a glock from personal experience. other guns im not sure about, but i would find out upon owning one

Reactions: cec2
#23 ·
a good suggestion. for some guns, you do not incur damage from dry firing though. so if you know which guns it will damage then you can avoid snapcaps if desired. i think the main purpose of snap caps is to provide safe dummy rounds for proving the action of a gun, such as cycling through a lever gun. but i do know that some very high end shotguns came with fancy snap caps from the factory so that they could be stored with tension removed from the main springs without damage to the firing pins.

#24 ·
Snap caps is playing it safe. I have dry fired my K-38 for about 30 years or so
without any ill effect. The same with my bullseye .45 Auto. I don't dry fire
my Hi-Standard Victor .22 or any .22 because the pin can hit the rim inside
the chamber and dent it or break the firing pin.
Zeke

#25 ·
The transfer bar on a Taurus model 85 broke while dry firing. My Ruger GP100 owners manual however specifically states that dry firing will not harm it. So it all depends on what you have. I've always heard to never dry fire a rimfire, but I don't know that that will harm all makes and models.

#26 ·
Ruger says that dry firing any of their guns is not harmful. That would include the 22s. Since the hammer must be down on their 22 autos to disassemble them, dry firing is required.

I have heard of cowboy shooters that have broken transfer bars on Vaqueros by dry firing. Although, these are the super competitive guys that dry fire their guns several thousand times a week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.